Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Case side fans question

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2012 5:06:15 AM

Hi, I have a Rosewill Challenger case and it allows for 2 optional side fans to be placed. I have two fans that I installed however there is a question. I looked up on how air flow is dependant on each case but I can never get a definitive answer on whether or not a fan should be blowing air towards a CPU. Here is how the case is setup.

From the front there is one single (120mm) fan located in the free space on the bottom level of the case. This fan sucks in cold air and brings it towards the back ~ top (obviously). There is a top fan right above the CPU (140 mm) and a back fan [near the top] (120mm) that exhaust the air. my psu is mounted at the bottom facing the bottom where there is a filter underneath the case. this fan is 140mm. As for the side fans is the question, the fan on the bottom (located just in front or below the GPU) is blowing cold air into the case. The fan on top of that one (located just in front or slightly away of the CPU) is blowing air out of the case. Both of these fans are 120mm.

It is clear that my case has a high negative pressure, however I want to know if I should switch the fan that is located just infront of my CPU (the higher side fan) to a intake fan and allow it to blow cold air into the case. Is it a smart idea to place such a fast fan to blow air practically infront of a CPU? Please help.

My Core temps are usually around 30-35 degrees C on idle with arctic silver paste / stock fan and I have yet to see them peak higher then 60 when playing a high detail game ( the highest i have so far was assassins creed 3). Maybe they go hotter then that since I never really did a real test on it but from 40-50 is my usual glance that i see. CPU = Intel i7 3770;

My GPU temps go for about 21 C when idle and at around 50-60 C at a medium load. GPU = EVGA 02G-P4-3651-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 10:33:07 AM

What i'd recommend you do is not try push air onto the cpu etc. Have one intake fan ( all you really need ) and the rest as exhaust. You don't want to be blowing cold & hot air around the case and onto the cpu. It'll be wise to have two fans PULLING the HOT air out of the case and leaving the front intake to blow in the cool air , rather than circulating hot air.

Hope it helped :) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:25:42 PM

ihsaan96 said:
What i'd recommend you do is not try push air onto the cpu etc. Have one intake fan ( all you really need ) and the rest as exhaust. You don't want to be blowing cold & hot air around the case and onto the cpu. It'll be wise to have two fans PULLING the HOT air out of the case and leaving the front intake to blow in the cool air , rather than circulating hot air.

Hope it helped :) 

So should I switch my other side fan into an exhaust as well? Wouldn't that make the case try to pull in air since its creating a vacuum inside (more air coming out and very little coming in)? I'm soz for being hard to understand. Ill try to give as much information as I need.

m
l
!