Sign in with
Your question

Installed a Radeon HD 7850 that won't show up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2012 8:36:53 PM

I recently purchased a 7850 to replace my 6670 that came with the computer. I read a tutorial, removed the drivers of my old graphics card, powered down and disconnected everything, took out my graphics card, then placed the 7850 in the proper slot on my H61 Biostar motherboard. I took the included power adapter, plugged it into my card then found a cord in my 600 W power supply that it fit into. My monitor showed nothing the first time, but I unhooked everything and redid everything, and finally I could see, but it's the onboard Intel 3000 and not my graphics card, even though I have my monitor plugged into the port on my new graphics card... I can't figure out what's wrong. It was a pain in the ass to plug the card in, because I was worried it would break since it always seems that it only fits one way and I have to try to push the metal part farther to get the screws in to tighten it. Have any idea of what might be going wrong? (I downloaded drivers for the new card before hooking it up, but I haven't done anything with them yet.)
a c 1362 U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:24:10 PM

If your PSU is modern it should have a cable with a PCIe power for the card. If the card is getting power and is properly inserted in the slot it should just work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:32:41 PM

If your video cable is hooked to the new card then theres no way your seeing the Intel hd3000 - that has its own connector and your 7850 doesnt support gpu switching (called enduro by amd, optimus by nvidia)

Install your drivers and reboot.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2012 9:34:28 PM

I swear I have the monitor cable plugged in to the right place. It's exactly where I had my 6670 and it read that. I guess I'll try the other slot just in case, but it's not where my GPU is located.
m
l
June 6, 2012 9:36:24 PM

Do I need to disable the Intel 3000 or anything? I thought about trying that, but I was worried that I'd no longer be able to see anything on my screen.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:54:33 PM

There is no way the HD3000 displays through the card!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 10:09:47 PM

Yes disable the IGP in your bios, make sure its set to pcie.
m
l
June 6, 2012 10:11:31 PM

I'm at a loss for what to do then. It just says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and this DVI port wouldn't even be there if my graphics card wasn't mounted. This computer also had some issues when I first received it (the 6670 had fallen out of place during shipping and I placed it in and plugged in my monitor cable there and it finally worked after three tries taking the card out and putting it back in...
m
l
June 6, 2012 10:12:26 PM

mouse24 said:
Yes disable the IGP in your bios, make sure its set to pcie.

In the bios, I found some setting ACMP (or some combination of those letters) and it was disabled. Do I want to enable that PCI setting?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 10:31:37 PM

TYTSoldier said:
In the bios, I found some setting ACMP (or some combination of those letters) and it was disabled. Do I want to enable that PCI setting?

I have no idea what that is, I tried googling came up empty... so its a safe bet to leave it alone :) 

But basically you are looking for a setting that says "graphics adapter" or just generally something along those lines and if its set to PCIe then its good if its set to VGA/IGP/any thing other then pcie, change it to pcie.

The other thing is are your cables plugged in properly? check the connections and make sure your screws are tight so the card isn't slipping out.

What power supply are you using?
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 10:31:55 PM

TYTSoldier said:
I'm at a loss for what to do then. It just says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and this DVI port wouldn't even be there if my graphics card wasn't mounted. This computer also had some issues when I first received it (the 6670 had fallen out of place during shipping and I placed it in and plugged in my monitor cable there and it finally worked after three tries taking the card out and putting it back in...

It says std GPU until you install the drivers for the card!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 10:36:52 PM

rolli59 said:
It says std GPU until you install the drivers for the card!

Ohhhhhh, hang on, OP are you having trouble with the actual card or just the display being at 800x600? if its just the display then install the current driver release for the 7xxx series cards from the AMD website and install them, thats all.
m
l
June 6, 2012 10:55:42 PM

Sorry for the trouble, guys. I finally figured it out. I'm a rookie when it comes to installing hardware (and computers in general), and I uninstalled the drivers of my previous card as a PC site suggested, but apparently I wasn't supposed to uninstall the entire catalyst program or something. I installed everything on the Radeon HD 7850 driver page and it showed up. I guess it was plugged in to the power supply and motherboard correctly, it was just the lack of the drivers. Thanks for the help, though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 11:07:17 PM

Nah the intel HD3000 is a completely different driver then the radeon HD 7xxx, even with a 6xxx series card moving to a 7xxx series card you are supposed to wipe the drivers completely (including catalyst, which intel/nvidia don't use)
m
l
June 6, 2012 11:28:23 PM

Hmm, I wonder what went wrong then. I'm just glad it finally works. Computers always make me feel stupid.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 1:03:49 AM

TYTSoldier said:
Sorry for the trouble, guys. I finally figured it out. I'm a rookie when it comes to installing hardware (and computers in general), and I uninstalled the drivers of my previous card as a PC site suggested, but apparently I wasn't supposed to uninstall the entire catalyst program or something. I installed everything on the Radeon HD 7850 driver page and it showed up. I guess it was plugged in to the power supply and motherboard correctly, it was just the lack of the drivers. Thanks for the help, though.

You did correct since the steps are simple;
Delete drivers and software for old card.
Shut down and replace with new card.
Start up and the new card will be running on win generic VGA driver.
Install drivers and software for new card.
All done!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 1:02:01 AM

Man, these problems are so common and usually anything you don't see on your monitor after installing new hardware, 9/10 you just need to clear your CMOS. I just responded to 5 posts of the same issue.
m
l
!