Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphics Slot Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2012 8:49:13 PM

So I was looking for a single-slot graphics card to upgrade my desktop and I came across Radeon cards. The AMD site claims all their cards only take up one slot, but when I go to get one, the specs say 2-4 slots. Misconception or am I doing something wrong? :??: 

BONUS: What is the best single slot card $150 CA and under?
Thanks!

More about : graphics slot

a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:00:07 PM

www..newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

hd 6850 best card for 150$.
m
l
June 6, 2012 9:06:31 PM

And you're positive it's single slot?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:35:03 PM

Did you even look at the card? It's very clearly a dual slot.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 9:39:46 PM

This could be a bit tricky. Cards are "dual slot" in the sense of being the width of more than one slot. But they don't actually USE two slots. So if you only have one PCIe slot on your mobo, but there is empty space next to it and your case will fit the thing, you can still use a "dual-slot" card. Check inside your case and on the mobo to see whether you have more space, and check the side of the case two for where the ports from the video card would line up.
June 6, 2012 11:26:16 PM

motorneuron said:
This could be a bit tricky. Cards are "dual slot" in the sense of being the width of more than one slot. But they don't actually USE two slots. So if you only have one PCIe slot on your mobo, but there is empty space next to it and your case will fit the thing, you can still use a "dual-slot" card. Check inside your case and on the mobo to see whether you have more space, and check the side of the case two for where the ports from the video card would line up.

Thank you sooooo much for clearing this up! You don't know how much this helps!
m
l
June 6, 2012 11:27:57 PM

Best answer selected by gman_42.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 11:55:30 PM

Haha, no problem. But seriously, make sure that the side of your case especially has two different pop-out slot covers--otherwise your case might obstruct the video out and the card won't fit.
m
l
!