Need help to add a third monitor

bobsing

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hello,
I have an HPE Pavillion 140f destop (product specs at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01959717&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120266 .
Since the video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT230) has 3 ports, I bought a 3rd monitor that would rotate to portrait. However, when I plugged it in and went to the Nvidia control panel to rotate the display it said that this video card only supports 2 monitors. What can I do?
The mobo had 2 video ports on it. But they have caps on them which say do not remove. Can I enable one of them or enable the 3rd port on the Nvidia video card? Do I need to add another video card or what? Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
The integrated GPU is disabled when an add-in GPU, such as your GT230, is installed.

Your options are to buy a GPU that supports 3 monitors simultaneously or use one of the new USB video cards to run that 3rd monitor ( dont except to game with one of these. Fine for business graphics)

If you opt for the new GPU option, be sure the card you get has the proper outputs to connect all your monitors.

popatim

Titan
The integrated GPU is disabled when an add-in GPU, such as your GT230, is installed.

Your options are to buy a GPU that supports 3 monitors simultaneously or use one of the new USB video cards to run that 3rd monitor ( dont except to game with one of these. Fine for business graphics)

If you opt for the new GPU option, be sure the card you get has the proper outputs to connect all your monitors.

Solution

bobsing

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thank you Popatim for your quick reply. I have 3 brief followup questions.
1. Can your recommend an inexpensive GPU that supports 3 monitors? (Note: I have 2 LG 2243T monitors and one LG E2211. All 3 have inputs of DVI-D and D-Sub).
2. I have seen splitters for video ports. Would one of these work?
3. Could you recommend an inexpensive USB video cards. I will not be gaming with it. Will these allow the signal being sent to the monitor to be rotated to portrait (to fit the physically rotated monitor? (Note: I use Win 7 Home edition).
Thank you so much for your help.

bobsing

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thank you for this link. While I went with the external USB video card, I will keep this one in mind for later. Thanks again.

bobsing

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thanks Popatim. I went with the new USB video card and am happy with it.