Thrallsman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Ok, so I put together my first build today. All went smoothly, here are some key components:

Case: HAF X
MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth
CPU: i7-3770k
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC
RAM: 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
PSU: Silverstone 850W 80+ Silver
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120G
Optical: Samsung SH-B123L (Lightscribe)

So first boot, turned it on and all went smoothly. However, when I arrived at boot screen it informed me to place a disc in boot device. So I went to open the Samsung drive, and it wouldn't open. It was connected via power, and the button blinked blue. It was also connected via the supplied SATA cable.

After not working I tried different SATA slots and found that it was only recognised in the BIOS in the ASMedia 6.0Gb/s slots, even though it only requires 1.5Gb/s. Anyway, the drive still would not open so I have been unable to start windows. Also, BIOS is not detecting my SSD or HDD attached to the SATA connectors. Should it? Is there something I am doing wrong? Besides this everything seems to be operating well.

So my question really is how to connect properly to my SATA and is my Samsung Drive faulty? The SATA ports available are 2 Brown Intel 6.0Gb/s, 4 Black Intel 3.0Gb/s and 2 White ASMedia 6.0Gb/s ports.

Any help appreciated, and thank you!

Solution
The drive should open as long as power is connected. SATA is not required for that to happen so it's most likely faulty, or stuck. Check for a piece if tape. You can open it manually, WITH THE POWER OFF, by unbending a paperclip and pushing it through the hole to the left of the button. You could also use a flash drive to install windows using microsofts windows 7 USB install tool.

The drive should open as long as power is connected. SATA is not required for that to happen so it's most likely faulty, or stuck. Check for a piece if tape. You can open it manually, WITH THE POWER OFF, by unbending a paperclip and pushing it through the hole to the left of the button. You could also use a flash drive to install windows using microsofts windows 7 USB install tool.

Solution