Website icons in IE6 address bar and Favorites

How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're all
gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize all
websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best anyway!
Thanks for any help
3 answers Last reply
More about website icons address favorites

    Hi Keith,

    The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
    so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
    need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
    the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
    post of Alan Edwards, MVP

    <quote>

    Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
    To make them permanent:
    FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp

    or

    The Code Project - FavIconizer:
    http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp

    </quote>

    Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm

    To implement this manually:

    Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
    URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
    Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico

    Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
    the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
    Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
    used to view the favicon location.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
    > all
    > gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
    > different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize
    > all
    > websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
    > anyway!
    > Thanks for any help

    WOW! Thanks a bunch! Now I have more than I had before!! The pcmag link is
    charging 6 bucks for the program but the codeproject is free. Thanks
    again!!!!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Keith,
    >
    > The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
    > so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
    > need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
    > the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
    > post of Alan Edwards, MVP
    >
    > <quote>
    >
    > Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
    > To make them permanent:
    > FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp
    >
    > or
    >
    > The Code Project - FavIconizer:
    > http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp
    >
    > </quote>
    >
    > Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm
    >
    > To implement this manually:
    >
    > Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
    > URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
    > Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico
    >
    > Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
    > the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
    > Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
    > used to view the favicon location.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
    > > all
    > > gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
    > > different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize
    > > all
    > > websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
    > > anyway!
    > > Thanks for any help

    You're welcome! AM-Deadlink is free as well.

    --

    > WOW! Thanks a bunch! Now I have more than I had before!! The pcmag link
    > is
    > charging 6 bucks for the program but the codeproject is free. Thanks
    > again!!!!
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Keith,
    >>
    >> The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder,
    >> and
    >> so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
    >> need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon
    >> for
    >> the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
    >> post of Alan Edwards, MVP
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >>
    >> Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
    >> To make them permanent:
    >> FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> The Code Project - FavIconizer:
    >> http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp
    >>
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm
    >>
    >> To implement this manually:
    >>
    >> Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click
    >> the
    >> URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
    >> Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico
    >>
    >> Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and
    >> save
    >> the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in
    >> it's
    >> Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also
    >> be
    >> used to view the favicon location.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
    >> > all
    >> > gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
    >> > different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I
    >> > realize
    >> > all
    >> > websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
    >> > anyway!
    >> > Thanks for any help

Configuration Browsers Favorites Customization Icons Windows XP