Sign in with
Your question

Intel Speedstep Technolgy

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2012 10:44:12 AM

I have the option to enable this in the bios. I also have under hardware monitoring "CPU quiet fan" with the options of low, medium and high. ( Ive set this to low after discovering the noise difference )

I've set the "CPU Quiet Fan"

Target CPU temp - 45c
Target Fan Speed - Low

From my understanding Speed step should spin the RPM of the fan up when doing demanding tasks?

Will speed step set the fans to low after it gets to 45c?

I'm using a Core 2 Quad so there is no Intel Turbo Boost Technology.
This is simply for temps and noise.

Help appreciated
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2012 10:52:08 AM

intel speedstep is energy saving feature meaning if you are in the desktop not doing anything the preocessor will clock down saving battery life in laptops and when in heavy use the individual cores can clock themselves higher to get your tasks done quicker
December 11, 2012 10:59:33 AM

alvine said:
intel speedstep is energy saving feature meaning if you are in the desktop not doing anything the preocessor will clock down saving battery life in laptops and when in heavy use the individual cores can clock themselves higher to get your tasks done quicker

I'm using a Core 2 Quad so there is no Intel Turbo Boost Technology.
This is simply for temps and noise.
Related resources
December 11, 2012 11:32:41 AM

Speedstep works the other way around. It doesn't boost your clock rate over on what the box says, but lowers it if you don't need maximum power in order to save energy.
December 11, 2012 11:51:46 AM

keremidko said:
Speedstep works the other way around. It doesn't boost your clock rate over on what the box says, but lowers it if you don't need maximum power in order to save energy.

Is it worth enabling it to reduce noise and heat? Or will CPU Quiet Fan do that?
a c 188 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 2:44:33 PM

When you are doing nothing or very little with the processor Intel® SpeedStep® clocks the processor down to save on both power and heat. So if you want a quiet system this is something that will help you keep the CPU running as quiet as possible; so I would enable it.
December 11, 2012 9:28:26 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
When you are doing nothing or very little with the processor Intel® SpeedStep® clocks the processor down to save on both power and heat. So if you want a quiet system this is something that will help you keep the CPU running as quiet as possible; so I would enable it.

Thanks

Have you any experience with "CPU Quiet Fan" located under hardware monitoring in the bios. Should that be set low, and does this give me the minimal base speed?
Untill Speedstep kicks in and adjusts fan speed accordingly? I've set my CPU Quiet Fan to low.
!