syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Earlier today it was rumored/ leaked that the GTX 670 will be the new standard card in the new Mac Pros being announced this monday. I have a hackintosh and will most likely buy one to replace my LOUD XFX 6870. So, what is the best GTX 670 card out there right now that delivers the best performance and is also the quietest and coolest?

Solution
Yeah, I think it is meant to be the new standard. As for hackintosh, though, wait for a 10.7.5 update, I would say, to make sure that it's compatible. The best one would probably have to be an Asus DCII card, but just from the fact that the card has a modified PCB it may not work (my GT220 didn't because of that), so you'd probably want to go for an EVGA external exhaust card - they're louder than a custom PCB card, but if the 670 is the standard, it'll work.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah, I think it is meant to be the new standard. As for hackintosh, though, wait for a 10.7.5 update, I would say, to make sure that it's compatible. The best one would probably have to be an Asus DCII card, but just from the fact that the card has a modified PCB it may not work (my GT220 didn't because of that), so you'd probably want to go for an EVGA external exhaust card - they're louder than a custom PCB card, but if the 670 is the standard, it'll work.

Solution

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hopefully apple just allows all future consumer graphics cards for the new mac pro or even just the imac. Thunderbolt external cards would do so much good. Anything quieter than my 6870 will get the job done for me. Can't even play skyrim without it sounding like a jet engine. Thank you! :D

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

The problem there is that Graphics cards, like Motherboards, have a BIOS, which needs to be flashed, so you can't stick just any old card in a Mac Pro, so only specific cards work properly with Hackintosh too.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Since Apple wants efficiency and power, it may well be that the 670 comes in as an upgrade option for the Mac Pro, and a 7000 series card is the standard.