Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my psu work with the gtx 670

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2012 11:09:41 AM

This is the psu i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... will this power the gtx670?

I have a GA-M68MT-S2 gigabyte board and a AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
I only have 2 cables running out of my psu and do not have more to place in the empty sockets. My psu only has 3 molex connectors and i will need for to power the gtx 670 using the double molex to 6 pin connectors meaning i will need 4 molex connectors will using a molex spliter for this be alright?
Thanks a lot

More about : psu work gtx 670

December 11, 2012 11:14:16 AM

Short answer no.

Long answerm never used molex - pci-e converters if you can avoid it.

Best answer, buy a 550watt or better PSU with the proper 6pin pci-e connectors.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 11:18:22 AM

^ I second this, dont cheap out on the power supply and dont use molex dongles as you risk short circuiting your components
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 11:18:28 AM

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit. Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_...
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 11:19:12 AM

plasmastorm said:
Short answer no.

Long answerm never used molex - pci-e converters if you can avoid it.

Best answer, buy a 550watt or better PSU with the proper 6pin pci-e connectors.
+1
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:19:23 AM

Your link does not work
Quote:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:

Honestly, if the PSU doesn't have PCI-E power cables, I wouldn't trust a $350-$400 video card on it. Unless of course your PSU is modular and you are saying you are missing cables to plug into it. Even then without at least the brand and model # of the PSU no one can give you proper advice.

m
l
December 11, 2012 11:26:42 AM

cliffro said:
Your link does not work
Quote:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:

Honestly, if the PSU doesn't have PCI-E power cables, I wouldn't trust a $350-$400 video card on it. Unless of course your PSU is modular and you are saying you are missing cables to plug into it. Even then without at least the brand and model # of the PSU no one can give you proper advice.

Hey sorry idk why the link wont work but i am using a XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply and i misplaced all my other modular cables is it possible for me to repurchase the cables?
m
l

Best solution

a c 1180 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 5:45:47 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C-50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The XION Supernova 600W (XON-600F14R-201), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 670.

AXP / Xion SuperNova 600W Review by TechPowerUp.com: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AXP/SuperNova_600W/1...

a c 291 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 7:47:07 PM

tubo88 said:
This is the psu i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... will this power the gtx670?

I have a GA-M68MT-S2 gigabyte board and a AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
I only have 2 cables running out of my psu and do not have more to place in the empty sockets. My psu only has 3 molex connectors and i will need for to power the gtx 670 using the double molex to 6 pin connectors meaning i will need 4 molex connectors will using a molex spliter for this be alright?
Thanks a lot

Hi - for the same $$ you can get a "quality" unit (XION is not known as a quality psu supplier)

consider these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $46 after mir & promo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $68 " " " " ,
but you won't have to use Molex connextors
m
l
a c 291 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 7:48:18 PM

cliffro said:
Your link does not work
Quote:

I 2nd that!
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:37:29 AM

Thanks everybody i found the pci-e modular in my closet buried and my computer is running fine. As for the xion being a bad choice i may replace it in the future but i have been using it for a long time and it always stays cool and works well.Thank you all for your help.
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:38:42 AM

Best answer selected by tubo88.
m
l
April 5, 2013 1:21:53 PM

I HAVE AN XIGMATEK 500W AND IT HAS 2 6PINS ON IT AND IT RUNS A 6950
m
l
!