• Computer
  • CPUs
  • VGA
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2012 10:04:40 AM

Hi guys.
So I have strange problem. When I start the computer, the fans are starting (VGA and CPU), HADD also starts spinning but no beeps or picture. After I shut down from the PSU and try it few more times the computer starts normaly and I have no problems what so ever. Here is the build.

MB: Asus P5KC (last bios update)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 511
RAM: Upgraded from 1GB DDR3 to 2x2GB DDR3 A-data (had to flash bios for compability)
VGA: Nvidia GF8600
PSU: 400W not branded

So I suspect the PSU is the problem but im not 100% sure. If someone had the same problem please share your knowledge.

More about : computer starts randomly

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a c 79 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 10:35:10 AM

It sounds like a PSU problem, assuming you have tried another outlet to plug the PC in.

It could also be a motherboard problem, even a CPU problem (these 2 problems are difficult to distinguish because they have similar symptoms). The best way to confirm is to swap in a known-good power supply and see if theres any difference.

Thats what Staples would charge you $100 something to do for their "diagnostics fee". You'd be better off buying a cheaper new PSU, at least if that isn't the problem you could use it for a new system build, that thing is pretty weak by modern standards. $30 bucks with promo code and mail in rebate, pretty good PSU for the money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!