Help

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi. I've just got a dvd movie for my aopen 12x dvd drive (8k7a/ATI Radeon). The problem is that the drive can't read anything off the dvd. I think it has to do with dvd's that can only be seen in specific areas like china or europe. Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Are you talking about the Region Locks??? If so, check out my<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=17252#17252" target="_new">other posts</A> for instructions on how to set/change it.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Forgot to mention, China is Region 6 and Europe is Region 2.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've just found the setting in win2k. But it says that even a reinstall can't make me change the region again. Does windows change something in the dvd firmware to make the second region stick? or can I change it again if I format?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
No, even if you format your hd a billion times, the region lock will not change. If you read further in my other post, I mentioned a program called "DVD GENIE" that will allow you to change it infinately many times.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DVD genie didn't work. Could the problem be with powerdvd? Would the win2k region change work even if the dvd genie didn't?
I also found a place where they had a cracked firmware for my dvd. Would that be too dangerous to flash?
Thanks for your help.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
No, its not Power DVD, DVD Genie supports that software, I think it may be Win2k. So even the lock would still change when you set it through Windows.
Yes, there are many ways of overriding the region lock, including a Firmware hack. Although, it can be dangerous, it may also work. You should only do it at your own risk.