user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I'm using XP Home SP 1. I use a dial-up modem. I have it set to dial
whenever I open my browser or email. When I'm done, I close the
programs and disconnect the modem.

But the modem has a life of its own -- after 15 minutes or so, it
tries to dial out again. I get tired of this. How can I stop it from
dialing out on its own?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Because you may have other software installed that has an option or
preference set that tells it to go online and to periodically check for
updates whenever you are running Windows. You will have to verify this on
every program you have installed. Have fun.

"<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Home SP 1. I use a dial-up modem. I have it set to dial
> whenever I open my browser or email. When I'm done, I close the
> programs and disconnect the modem.
>
> But the modem has a life of its own -- after 15 minutes or so, it
> tries to dial out again. I get tired of this. How can I stop it from
> dialing out on its own?
>
> <*((((><{
> Fishy@Ocean.Net

Two software possibilities are Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook.
Outlook Express, for example, is set to log on every thirty minutes to check
for mail (you may have altered this to 15 minutes) Outlook, on the other
hand, is set to check for mail every 5 minutes or so, unless you set it
differently.
Obviously for these application to check for mail they must be 'open'.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

> Because you may have other software installed that has an option or
> preference set that tells it to go online and to periodically check for
> updates whenever you are running Windows. You will have to verify this on
> every program you have installed. Have fun.
>
> "<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
>> I'm using XP Home SP 1. I use a dial-up modem. I have it set to dial
>> whenever I open my browser or email. When I'm done, I close the
>> programs and disconnect the modem.
>>
>> But the modem has a life of its own -- after 15 minutes or so, it
>> tries to dial out again. I get tired of this. How can I stop it from
>> dialing out on its own?
>>
>> <*((((><{
>> Fishy@Ocean.Net

> I'm using XP Home SP 1. I use a dial-up modem. I have it set to dial
> whenever I open my browser or email. When I'm done, I close the
> programs and disconnect the modem.
>
> But the modem has a life of its own -- after 15 minutes or so, it
> tries to dial out again. I get tired of this. How can I stop it from
> dialing out on its own?

Well, open internet explorer, click on tools, internet options. There you'll
find on the connections tab the option 'no dialup connection' or something
like that.
Then you have to dial up manually and the other program won't ask for dialup
anymore...

Chris

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for the clues. The computer will do this when thare are NO
applications open -- just the ones in the tray. So perhaps it might
be the AVG updater?

Can you think of any other