Just some questions...

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
:hello:
This thread is mostly because I want a little bit of feedback of a new system I plan to buy in a few months time when I get the money. (I know the prices for these prebuilt computers will fluctuate and so will their parts so I will change according to that.)
I am planning on buying a prebuilt gaming computer from DinoPc.com, a site which I found recently with some pretty cheap prices for systems. I even checked the prices through Amazon and found out that they were actually pretty much close together so instead of making it myself I decided to customise it online and then buy that.
Anyway, here are the current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LE
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x 4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Zalman Z11 Plus
600W Xigmatek
[I'll also be stealing 4 GB RAM from my current computer (2x 4GB RAM 1333) when I give my sister this computer (An i7 2600, 4GB 1TB)]

This will cost just shy over £600 (My budget) and I was wondering if it looked good to you guys. I have done a little bit of research into the GPU and the CPU but was wondering more about the longevity of the CPU since I am going to be upgrading the GPU to a 560 TI/6870/ eventually, whether it'd be more beneficial for me to go for a costlier i5 CPU such as the 3550 or the 3570K and what the benefits of getting the unlock able cpu are over the locked ones are. This is my first time building a PC to accommodate my gaming needs.

The games I want to be able to play are stuff like Skyrim, Saints Row III, Star Wars The Old Republic but to name a few and know that I'll be able to play on fairly good settings with the 550 TI.

Also would like to gain some knowledge about how the graphics cards prices may go down/up due to other graphics cards coming out.

I apologise if I posted this in the wrong forum, I thought that this was the most relevant forum to post this in. :sweat:

Thank you all in advance.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
i would rather have the i72600 personally just add a decent video card to it and leave it at that and i wouldnt mix the ram as you mentioned it will only run single channel run 2 sticks or 4 not in between, 550 will prob do those games ok but its a pretty weak card especially online gaming and for future proofing which will need more go than single player time demoes. the b75 chipset is designed for no frills business setups build it your self much more satisfying and you can do all your cable management nicely etc etc

Lutfij

Titan
what? your trading in your i7 for that load of bad listed parts?

1| mix matching ram timings and makers will have negative effect on your board, overclock and applications. Since the two dimms will have differing manufacturing methods, bin processing and assembly temps.
2| GTX 550Ti for games at this day and age is actually quite bad, might want to look at the GTX 670's.
3| zalman's cases are not in the good books. Fractal are awesome cases.
4| what are the spec's of your older rig?
5| what will your sis be using the rig for?
6| this seems to be like two threads compiled into one.

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Honestly all I know is i7 2600, 350 watt psu (like... a stock one) and 8gb 1333 ram. Then like a hp pavilion case, some motherboard I've never heard of and don't know the exact specs of either.

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

If I could go up to 1k I think I'd know to buy an i7 and a GTX 670.

I am going to replace the gt 550 ti after I get a little bit more money a few months afterwards, which is why I'm going for a 600W psu.

Lutfij

Titan
dya have the link to that xigmatek psu? chances are they are dodgy pieces of paper weight

You'd be getting the i5-3570K and a GTX680 for that kind of money. a lot lesser if you went with a non k proc and a GTX660. If your going to upgrade the GPU later on, then why don't you just give it off your sis as is when you've amassed the funds?

btw, you yet haven't mentioned your sis' pc needs...

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=38&type=specification

She'll need it for photo editting, video editting and like graphics and stuff.

Because she'll need it when we both start our schools and I won't have the money for a few months : \ I could buy the gpu seperately, I think I could find a gtx 660 for around 100 ish pounds or so.

Lutfij

Titan
ebay is your best place for some cheap cards, however - the ones with warranty make you feel happier you spent a lil extra.

seems to me like your sis will be using Adobe's Creative Suite 5.5 or 6 she can run off the onboard on that i7-2600K if she isn't going to be doing hardcore renders.

man that 2600k looks sweet!

so save the dough, don't get a card now - invest that saved cash on your rig later down the road.
* oh screw it!
you'll both be needing it huh?

how much dya have to spend on your rig? and can you link the model for your hp rig? or maybe dig about its model number?

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

i7 2600. Not k. I could just buy a 6870 since they go for like 100-120 real cheap atm. I think that's on par with the 560 ti or near it's neck of the woods.

£600 is pretty much my limit.

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02668523&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5095581#N36

That's the motherboard I believe for my current computer which was store bought.

I am making this new rig from a site called DinoPC.com

The main point is will my new rig test against currents games so far. I might exchange the 550 ti for a 560 which I could get for 20 quid more and still hit my budget of around 600~

Also, what of the AMD processors?

Lutfij

Titan
1|amd=crap now and then.
2|build it yourself - saves you the cash and makes you smarter
3|your not making things easy for me matey. Whats the full system specs of the HP rig you currently have?
4|if for 600 quid your getting that config posted initially...then don't bother cos that B75 is for servers and office rigs not fun and games(as stated by jasont78)

are you reading up on any reviews or charts to understand what you're picking up for your new rig? or what you're planning to do by making a Frankenstein'ish rig?

links to read(please read up on them)
Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart -@ Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: July 2012
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - @ Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2012

about chipsets:
http://www.techspot.com/guides/502-intel-ivy-bridge/page3.html

more here

non K cpu's won't OC well - you'll have turbo boost but that limits your options.

* so in essence your going with new parts to bottleneck yourself from any upgrades in the future, which could be 6 months from now.

** the link you provided of the mobo,
c02692237.jpg

H67 chipset.
seems just about right for your sis for her school/work purposes. As I work on Ps/Ai/ CAD/ Max/ Maya/Sketchup as well. Your sis is fine by the onboard GPU found on the i7-2600.

Leave the HP as is and maybe you can treat your sis to some parts down the road provided you change out the existing PSU (btw whats the wattage on that HP PSU?)

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

gtx 660 for 100 pounds, dont thinks so they arent even released yet

Lutfij

Titan
^ yeah I missed that totally! good catch there jasont78! [:lutfij:3]

* you know that H67 board is far more capable o doing a lot more, like being used as an HTPC with very light gaming at low res.

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

So what about an i5 3570k and a 7850 with the http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LX/ and the Xigmatek Asgard Pro case?

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Dino PC - £725~ (Including a cooler, 1 TB HDD instead of 500 GB and 2x4 GB instead of 1X4 (both 1333)

Lutfij

Titan
whats with you and dinopc?
whats the point of getting 1333MHz and a k series processor if you're not going to be able to overclock it?

you went up to 725? honestly how far can you punch out of your wallet?
really, all the deals here aren't that good.

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Now we're just going to run around circles. First you're all about OCing and now you're telling me what's the point.

Lutfij

Titan
listen kid! you want to get a rig and I'm helping you get things lined up nicely. If you want to go ahead and frag all that cash, be my guest and pick something thas advertised on any site that'll build it for you.

If you want to avoid another "prebuilt sucker punch" then maybe be a lil helpful with the info's.

1333MHz is slight increase in speed from 1066MHz at which the proc will run, not even an overclock. are you reading links/google before asking?

GamerT3

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I don't understand what you mean by be a little helpful with the info's.

And what do you mean by 'the proc' and what would you suggest.

Also, ran by the same config onto Amazon, both the first one that I originally put and the second and it literally costs the same.

The only think I don't know is mostly about OCing the CPU and the GPU although I know they make it 'better' but don't really know what/why to use it.

Lutfij

Titan
The only think I don't know is mostly about OCing the CPU and the GPU although I know they make it 'better' but don't really know what/why to use it.
google tells you everything you need to know except for the apocalypse.

what about: what to look for in a mobo/ram/cpu mix matching to get the best out of each component so as to avoid bottlenecks. The timings in a ram , is 1066 better or 1333 or 2000? PCI-E bandwith. Boards designed for HTPC use and/or mold/heavy duty gaming? - well , your posts tells me of your knowledge.

And what do you mean by 'the proc' and what would you suggest.
its short for processor. give me a budget and I'll shoot you some list. mind you I'll need the absolute max that you can drop on your rig and btw I'll be suggesting parts that'll last you a good 3 years of gaming for all titles - no holds barred!