Desktop Pattern?

In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
Classic in XP it will only do either/or.

Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
third party customisation application that will do it?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Mark Buckles
San Diego
6 answers Last reply
More about desktop pattern

    Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
    button/ Follow the instructions.

    <kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
    > In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
    > picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
    > picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
    > Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
    >
    > Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
    > third party customisation application that will do it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Mark Buckles
    > San Diego

    XP converts patterns into wallpaper whenever it notices one set and a registry key saying it has been upgraded is not set.

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:19:46 -0400, "Qwerty" <noone@noplace.com>
    wrote:

    >Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
    >button/ Follow the instructions.
    >
    ><kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
    >> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
    >> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
    >> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
    >> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
    >>
    >> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
    >> third party customisation application that will do it?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Mark Buckles
    >> San Diego

    Hi Qwerty,
    I clicked the Customise Desktop button, but there is only a General
    tab - no Web tab. What must I do to enable the Web tab?

    http://www.markbuckles.com/misc/notab.jpg

    Thanks,
    -Mark

    Try a Help and Support search for 'enable active desktop'. Check the MS
    Knowledge Base. Are you running TweakUI? KB192400.

    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:19:46 -0400, "Qwerty" <noone@noplace.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
    >>button/ Follow the instructions.
    >>
    >><kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
    >>> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
    >>> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
    >>> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
    >>> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
    >>> third party customisation application that will do it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards,
    >>> Mark Buckles
    >>> San Diego
    >>

    > Hi Qwerty,
    > I clicked the Customise Desktop button, but there is only a General
    > tab - no Web tab. What must I do to enable the Web tab?
    >
    > http://www.markbuckles.com/misc/notab.jpg
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mark

    You may want to apply the following edit:

    Restore the web tab - Display Properties (line 177, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/iframes/patterns.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
    > In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
    > picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
    > picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
    > Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
    >
    > Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
    > third party customisation application that will do it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Mark Buckles
    > San Diego

Configuration Desktops Customization Windows XP