Kram

In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
Classic in XP it will only do either/or.

Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
third party customisation application that will do it?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Mark Buckles
San Diego

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
button/ Follow the instructions.

<kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
>
> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
> third party customisation application that will do it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark Buckles
> San Diego

XP converts patterns into wallpaper whenever it notices one set and a registry key saying it has been upgraded is not set.

<kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message news:18am61991h0l9vg7h4l26uru3kdopceh88@4ax.com...
> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
>
> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
> third party customisation application that will do it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark Buckles
> San Diego

Kram

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:19:46 -0400, "Qwerty" <noone@noplace.com>
wrote:

>Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
>button/ Follow the instructions.
>
><kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
>> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
>> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
>> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
>> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
>>
>> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
>> third party customisation application that will do it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Mark Buckles
>> San Diego

Hi Qwerty,
I clicked the Customise Desktop button, but there is only a General
tab - no Web tab. What must I do to enable the Web tab?

http://www.markbuckles.com/misc/notab.jpg

Thanks,
-Mark

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

Try a Help and Support search for 'enable active desktop'. Check the MS
Knowledge Base. Are you running TweakUI? KB192400.

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:19:46 -0400, "Qwerty" <noone@noplace.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Display Properties/Desktop tab/Customize Desktop... button/Web tab/New...
>>button/ Follow the instructions.
>>
>><kram@kram.selkcub.moc> wrote in message
>>> In Win98 I could have a desktop pattern plus a centered
>>> picture. In XP it looks like I can have either a pattern or a
>>> picture, but not both. Even when I selected Windows
>>> Classic in XP it will only do either/or.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to get both in XP? Or is there some
>>> third party customisation application that will do it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Mark Buckles
>>> San Diego
>>

> Hi Qwerty,
> I clicked the Customise Desktop button, but there is only a General
> tab - no Web tab. What must I do to enable the Web tab?
>
> http://www.markbuckles.com/misc/notab.jpg
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark

You may want to apply the following edit:

Restore the web tab - Display Properties (line 177, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org