Casio EX-S500

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 23, 2005 4:01:32 AM

Hello,

I've looking to pick up a compact point/shoot digital camera. I've been
doing some research and came across casio's ex-s500. i was wondering what
the pro's and cons of this camera might be from some people who own it or
have handled it. thanks

More about : casio s500

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:35:06 AM

In article <wHtOe.18483$%w.5072@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
LPC <Lpc@nospam.com> wrote:
>I've looking to pick up a compact point/shoot digital camera. I've been
>doing some research and came across casio's ex-s500. i was wondering what
>the pro's and cons of this camera might be from some people who own it or
>have handled it. thanks

I wrote a review of this camera today on Amazon.com. I expect my review
will be visible in a few days. I'm going to post it to
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot soon.

PROS: Small size, quality build, fast response times, strong flash (for
a micro camera anyway). Very good user interface. Some innovative
features, such as a feature that corrects the "keystone effect" distortion
when copying rectangular documents.

CONS: The image quality is lacking. Sharpness and color fidelity are
significantly worse than my Canon SD10, which is a camera of similar
size. The Canon doesn't have optical zoom, admittedly.

Conclusion: Unless you're careless with your money (like me!) wait for
the Canon SD30 to go on sale, about October 10. Choose carefully between
the Canon and the Casio.
--
David Arnstein |
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |

David,

Thanks for the tip. Heading over to amazon right now to take a glance at
the customer reviews. I am previous owner of a Canon Sd-20. Nice little
camera. So i can expect much worse image quality from the casio huh ?

"David Arnstein" <arnstein@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D ee5ha$f5b$1@reader2.panix.com...
> In article <wHtOe.18483$%w.5072@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
> LPC <Lpc@nospam.com> wrote:
>>I've looking to pick up a compact point/shoot digital camera. I've been
>>doing some research and came across casio's ex-s500. i was wondering what
>>the pro's and cons of this camera might be from some people who own it or
>>have handled it. thanks
>
> I wrote a review of this camera today on Amazon.com. I expect my review
> will be visible in a few days. I'm going to post it to
> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot soon.
>
> PROS: Small size, quality build, fast response times, strong flash (for
> a micro camera anyway). Very good user interface. Some innovative
> features, such as a feature that corrects the "keystone effect" distortion
> when copying rectangular documents.
>
> CONS: The image quality is lacking. Sharpness and color fidelity are
> significantly worse than my Canon SD10, which is a camera of similar
> size. The Canon doesn't have optical zoom, admittedly.
>
> Conclusion: Unless you're careless with your money (like me!) wait for
> the Canon SD30 to go on sale, about October 10. Choose carefully between
> the Canon and the Casio.
> --
> David Arnstein |
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |
August 24, 2005 12:48:09 AM

In article <XhIOe.3106$x43.1378279@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
LPC <Lpc@nospam.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the tip. Heading over to amazon right now to take a glance at
>the customer reviews. I am previous owner of a Canon Sd-20. Nice little
>camera. So i can expect much worse image quality from the casio huh ?

I prefer the expression "significantly worse." I am continuing to
experiment with my new Exilim, and I will update my post on Amazon.com
whenever I learn something new. After I've learned all I can, I will
copy my final post to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot.

The Canon SD-10 is an engineering marvel. So tiny, but its images are
great. The reason I gave mine away is that its response times are a
bit slow. But I miss the image quality.
--
David Arnstein |
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |

Thanks for all the help Dave. With the Ex-S500 out of the question, what
are you feelings on the Ex-Z750? I've read some very good things about it,
and i like the feel of it ( checked out at the local Circuit CIty ). Im not
completley hung up on having to buy a Casio, but i really like the 640/480
avi video capabilities.

"David Arnstein" <arnstein@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D eg229$f9f$1@reader2.panix.com...
> In article <XhIOe.3106$x43.1378279@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
> LPC <Lpc@nospam.com> wrote:
>>Thanks for the tip. Heading over to amazon right now to take a glance at
>>the customer reviews. I am previous owner of a Canon Sd-20. Nice little
>>camera. So i can expect much worse image quality from the casio huh ?
>
> I prefer the expression "significantly worse." I am continuing to
> experiment with my new Exilim, and I will update my post on Amazon.com
> whenever I learn something new. After I've learned all I can, I will
> copy my final post to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot.
>
> The Canon SD-10 is an engineering marvel. So tiny, but its images are
> great. The reason I gave mine away is that its response times are a
> bit slow. But I miss the image quality.
> --
> David Arnstein |
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:05:09 PM

In article <9o0Pe.7511$ZG2.1421426@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
LPC <Lpc@nospam.com> wrote:
>Thanks for all the help Dave. With the Ex-S500 out of the question, what
>are you feelings on the Ex-Z750? I've read some very good things about it,
>and i like the feel of it ( checked out at the local Circuit CIty ). Im not
>completley hung up on having to buy a Casio, but i really like the 640/480
>avi video capabilities.

Your post indicates that you are considering cameras that are physically
larger than the EX-S500. In that case, there are very many great cameras
to choose from. I have not handled many of them, and I don't know which
ones have the video capabilities that you seek.

I use the Sony Cybershot DSCP200 and I consider it to be an excellent
camera for its size. Great image quality, fast response times, and nicely
built. I have looked at models from Canon and Panasonic that seem to be
great. This is the limit of my experience, and I suspect that there are
other great cameras of this size.

By the way, I will probably keep the Exilim, and continue to exeriment
with its settings. It is not a terrible camera, but (hindsight) I would
have waited for the Canon SD-30, if I had known it was on the way.
--
David Arnstein |
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |