Scared of Asus

psikaikai

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I've seen Asus offers great cooling, quiet fans, and high overclocks.
I want to stay with Evga but the evga sig vs. 680 direct cu top is very conflicting
I looked around and saw many people having problems with the ~~~670~~~~~ asus direct cu2 top
and it's probably because of the unstable clock speeds so my question is, is the Gtx 680 asus direct cu2 a safe buy

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
In general there would be very little difference. The DCUII though, is a triple slot cooler - first thing to look out for - but in any case, it'll be quieter and a little more overclockable. Either way though, the EVGA card is actually great (I've had great experiences with my EVGA cards, and the Asus ones). If it's the 670 that's unstable but nothing can be found on the 680 doing that, I wouldn't really worry about it. Asus make great cards.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Yes, I haven't read anything about anyone having problems with the Asus 670.

Can you provide a link of people having problems?

Regardless of what manufacturer you choose you get a decent warranty with most of them. Some even lifetime warranty.

What I do wish is that BFG was still around they offered lifetime warranties with everything and overclocked almost everything as well.

But anyways Asus and Evga are both good offer high end products.

psikaikai

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

pages of glorious problems from Asus gtx 670 directcu2 top go to later pages like 50+
http://www.overclock.net/t/1259425/asus-670-directcu-ii-top

You can go with EVGA GTX 680 FTW if you want to have higher overclocking, if you're looking for the best for cooling so you may wanna consider the Gigabyte Windforce 3X

But anyway I don't see any serious problem with the DC II.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

LOL, I was gonna link the same page! Man, is that thread filled with issues or WHAT!!!

To the OP:
I've just got the DCII TOP (670). There were some glitches initially (system getting locked up) but after reading the views at overclock.net and some other sites, it seeme dthat the problem wa sbased on 2 issues.
1. That some of the shipped cards (670 TOP) weren't actually tested properly. Thus, the clocks on those pieces weren't stable at stock out of the box. For this, many users reduced the clock speeds by 20-30 and the card was stable.

2. Asus GPU Tweak. This software was the root of the problem with 'many' users (myself included). However, once people stopped using GPU Tweak and went over to other softwares like MSI's Afterburner, EVGA Precision-X, etc, the problem was resolved again. I've stopped using GPU Tweak and so far, no problems.

I'd say go for it!

psikaikai

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Why not get the regular directcu2 and overclock to match the Top and it's a safer gamble?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Certainly, why not! There's absolutely no issue in it! You could always go for the non-top version and OC it to your best.

People usually opt for a factory OC'd card because the card has already been tested after having been OC'd by the vendor. Plus, I believe that OC'ing a card on your own also voids the warranty. The 670 TOP version for eg, has been OC'd by Asus, which are known for quality products. They've fitted the 670 on the plate of the 680, incorporated their own voltage thingy on the card, etc etc. All this straight out of the box so you can use it right away at already higher clocks.