cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Ok so i bought a new CPU off of amazon the other day it was a Athlon II X4 630 and I got it in the mail and installed it today. Well I decided to try and put my other stick of ram(2x4gb) in to see if it would detect as dual channel with this CPU and to my surprise it did. I tried booting into windows and it just kept restarting. One time it gave me a blue screen saying Machine Check Exception. After that one it would not give me any other blue screens just kept restarting as soon as it hit the login screen for win7. Then I took the other stick back out and it logged in for a few sec and started to load windows and such then it restarted with a bluescreen giving me this error code 0x000000124. Any ideas what the problem is? I also just reflashed my BIOS with the latest version via USB drive. And safe mode doesn't work either.

Can you go into C:\windows\minidump, zip the dump file (*.dmp) and upload it to us so we can de bug it? My guess either the CPU isn't compatible with that motherboard or more likely its a RAM problem. I would also download Memtest 86+ and let it run overnight and see what it comes up with.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Its not a mem issue because this memory works great with my Athlon II X2 240. And no I can't get the dump file unless I use a Live USB for ubuntu and pray to God it works because I can't get into windows to get the dump files.

Something is not making sense. Are you using the same motherboard for the new CPU that you used with the old one? Have you recently tested the RAM with the old Athlon, just because it worked great a week ago with the Athlon II doesn't mean that it didn't go bad. What motherboard are you using and can you get into the BIOS? If so I would check the voltages. If everything else checks out than the only other thing I can think of is the CPU.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Yea its the CPu because if I go into the BIOS and use CPU Core Control and disable core 3 and 4 and make it a dual core instead of a quad it works perfectly. And my old cpu works fine if I put it back in.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
The CPU itself is supported since BIOS v1.10 I have v1.30 on mine. I tried a CPU fan I have and that didn't make a difference even though it brought the temp a lot. I also reflashed the BIOS which didn't do any good either. It supports the FX series CPU's and 125w CPU's however it only has a 4-pin connector which is rather odd though.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Well I tried disabling the 3rd and 4th cores and it worked. Then I tried just enabling 3 cores with either core 3 or 4 active and it crashed both times right after it hit the windows login screen.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Well too late now. Just sent it back. Thanks though now I know for future reference. If it was underpowered I would think it wouldn't even start or crash way before it got to the login screen. However it rather odd that my motherboard will support 125w CPUs but only has a 4-pin connector not 8.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Ok well I tried upping the voltage this afternoon as my mom didn't send it back yet. And it was stable and booted for about 30 mins. Then it crashed with the same bluescreen error 0x0124. Then I upped it as high as it would go which was 1.38 I think and went into safe mode and used Orthos and set the affinity for 2 processes of it 1 for cores 1,2 the other for 3,4. It ran on 1,2 for about 3 mins with no issue. Then I tried 3,4 and it crashed with no BSOD 1 min into the test......... Are the cores unstable or something? because the max voltage my motherboard will let me through at it is 1.38. I have the 880GM-LE FX. Or is there something wrong with the motherboard?

If you have another board with the same socket or know someone with the same socketed motherboard you can test the new CPU in that motherboard. Personally I think the CPU is bad. You bought it used and who knows what the person who owned it first did to the CPU. They could have overclocked it to high with bad cooling causing it to overheat. They could have over volted it and fried the chip. Or it could have been fautly from the start and they just passed it on to the first sucker who would buy it.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Well the company said it worked when it was shipped and was tested before it shipped but I think it might have been temperature extremes or miss-handling by USPS that broke it. I do have another AM3 system that I tried with it(even though 1 memory slot doesn't work) and I had the same exact result.