Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 (Low power compared to Overclocked versions)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2012 2:26:26 AM

I have a rig that I've just recently built and the last piece I require is a good solid GPU (and a nice keyboard... but that can wait). I have a 500W power supply and I worry that I'll be pushing it a little close. It's a nice 8-+ gold rated, but still only 500W which is the minimum requirement for this card according to Nvidia. According to this calculator: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine at 90% I would hit 417W. At 100% I hit 464W. This is before the 50W safety margin they implement, which would push it over 500W. They don't have the GTX670 in their variables so I had to use the 680. This is before counting things that I might get in the future like a sound card or more hard drives.

So while a 670 will very probably work fine in my rig, I don't want to push it. I just wanted to know how much more power on average an overclocked card consumes compared to a stock card. I've looked on Amazon, Newegg, and NCIX and they have a lot more overclocked models than they do normal stock ones. I've also noticed that they are becoming sold out at an alarming pace. I was hoping to wait a bit and save some more money, but I don't think I can wait anymore.

So really... is there much of a difference in power consumption between types of 670s? Or even between brands? And if so, what is a good brand that has low power consumption.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 2:29:55 AM

Here is the peak wattage for the ASUS DCII (overclocked) versus a reference (original clocked) 670.

Hope that helps :) 
a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 2:34:55 AM

If your PSU is quality it can as well take some overload usually in the region of 10-15%. It is only during stress tests like Furmark that you will see full load on your computer therefore they recommend 90% based on normal use load in the calculator. Adding a drive is about 5 watts using a round number so I belief you will be fine with your 500watt.
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2012 3:24:34 AM

fantastik250 said:
Hope that helps :) 

I believe it does... So from what I can see, an overclocked card will suck more power, but probably not as much as a 680. Which is what I was using in the calculator. Which means most overclocked 670s should fit in the safety envelope for my rig.

I did also want to ask, does anyone have any insight as to when Nvidia might restock the suppliers? Or are people just nabbing them as quickly as they can be restocked, and we might be stuck in a state of perpetual sold-out for the near-future?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2012 3:41:26 AM

Unfortunately, I have not read any news on 670's being re-stocked any time soon. They sold out so fast. I am pretty sure they will create more on hand but may not be enough for the demand.
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:54:46 AM

Best answer selected by PTNLemay.
m
l
!