XP memory

Does XP use memory more carefully than Win98SE?

A friend had only 32MB and his XP system ran with it. He's asked me
to fit a fax modem to his other computer running Win98SE. The POST
reports 32MB of memory and Word won't even save a tiny 1K file
because it has not enough memory or disk space. Well, windows explorer
reports that out od 2.4 GB only 600K is used.

The drop down "File" menu won't even drop down.

What''s happening???????

best wishes

Colin

Stand down. A cold boot was all it needed.

Colin Bearfield wrote:
> Does XP use memory more carefully than Win98SE?
>
> A friend had only 32MB and his XP system ran with it. He's asked me
> to fit a fax modem to his other computer running Win98SE. The POST
> reports 32MB of memory and Word won't even save a tiny 1K file
> because it has not enough memory or disk space. Well, windows explorer
> reports that out od 2.4 GB only 600K is used.
>
> The drop down "File" menu won't even drop down.
>
> What''s happening???????

Use memory "more carefully"?
How about "uses more memory but in a more organized and cleaner fashion"..

First off, I don't think Windows XP - without hacking - would run on a
system with 32MB of RAM. It requires 64 to install by default. Not only
that - if by some trickery you got it to work, it would be unbelievable slow
because of the amount of swap drive space it would use. Then you go and
throw in a 2.4GB hard drive and since a normal Windows XP with SP2 install
would take up AT LEAST 1/2 of that and better yet - you throw in Microsoft
Word to the equation, likely adding a bit more - I just have to say...
Unbearable and you should ...

Buy a new PC. The $200-$1000 will give you 1000-5000 times more than what
you have now and save you grief in untold amounts.

Barebone Windows PCs:
http://www.pricewatch.com/h/mn.aspx?i=347&f=1

Dell Desktops (click on "Home or Home Office" and look for deals):
http://www.dell.com/
(Some dell refurbished coupons:
http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/35041 )

--
<- Shenan ->

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ig2n611ncp0pb7787b7h66hb6efj1a0rcp@4ax.com,
Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> had this to say:

> Stand down. A cold boot was all it needed.

And a memory upgrade... 32 MB of RAM might run but it won't be pretty and it
won't be quick. XP loves to eat RAM...

Galen