Sign in with
Your question

Suggestion on building a computer.

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2012 3:25:23 PM

Good Afternoon. I want to build a new PC. A 64 bit windows 8 system. Not really for gaming but can have the ability to do that if needed. I want to get an i7 processor but I also have a Intel xeon 3.2 ghz processor laying around the house that I would rather use. My question is which is faster between the two? Which modern motherboard would you recommend that the xeon processor would be great for. Basically, I want to build a modern, fast system around this Intel xeon processor chip if possible.
This is the xeon processor I have...
http://ark.intel.com/products/27083/64-bit-Intel-Xeon-P...

Thank you.
a c 159 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 3:39:24 PM

Your xeon is an older socket 604 cpu; boards you can use won't even come with pci-e slots for a decent video card. I would sell it and go with a newer cpu type, such as socket 1155 or 1156 (these boards are getting scarce).
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:43:26 PM

o1die said:
Your xeon is an older socket 604 cpu; boards you can use won't even come with pci-e slots for a decent video card. I would sell it and go with a newer cpu type, such as socket 1155 or 1156 (these boards are getting scarce).

Thanks man. Appreciate the quick response. Any suggestions to where I can sell this fast? Ebay as usual?
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 5:00:51 PM

Yeah. Ebay unless you live in the usa; I use craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum.
m
l
!