Battlefield 3 slower with crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplaywithmikex

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I'm running two 7870's in my build with eyefinity, with battlefield 3 @ 5760x1080. With this, i get about 10 fps on average. But when i turn off crossfire, I get about 40 fps. I'm not running THAT slow of a card that microstuttering can be causing such a drastic effect of an average drop of 30 frames. anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Build:
i7-3770k
gskill 8gb 1600mhz
rosewill lightning 800W
2x7870s
asrock z77 extreme 6

Solution

Try Catalyst 12.6a. It fixes several CF driver problems with Radeon 7000 cards that are present in older versions.
Do you have a CF bridge and are you running the newest driver, Catalyst 12.6a, and if so, do you know for sure that you uninstalled any and all previous drivers completely?

Also, as suggested by fantastik250, check the PCIe slots that you're using. One of them might be a PCIe x16 slot physically, but is a PCIe 2.x x4 slot electrically. Your motherboard might also need a BIOS update.

Now now guys, we don't know if the problem is a driver issue or not yet. That's what trouble-shooting is for.

@OP are these 7870s overclocked? If so, then you might need to drop the clocks a little on one or both of them. Multi-GPU setups tend to not overclock as well as the cards can individually.

Alright guys thats enough, no one wants to see this when they come looking for help for a legitimate issue, if you wish to take this further please do so in PMs.

@op, have you installed the latest CAP profiles along with the drivers? what are your cards set at and what is your average fps in furmark with and without xfire?

Edit: hah recon beat my to it by a hair.

alphaalphaalpha1

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Well i will not even comment on the track record... what do you want me to say? sheep fly?

Look at AMD now... not releasing drivers until they are suitable for release... say much?

Nvidia are not perfect, but that is not at question.

As a proven track record of yourself, you defend AMD to the end, i do that to a 480.. but not the rest of the lineup, think about that.

Let's end this now, as this thread is now littered with our retarded argument.

Carry on with this in PM's if you like, i will just block you however ;)

AMD not releasing drivers monthly? Well, considering what AMD plans on doing is exactly the way that Nvidia does it... Well, if you don't like it, then you don't like Nvidia's driver release strategy either because they are one and the same.

@OP Have you tested both cards individually? One of them might have a problem and might need an RMA if the possible fixes that others have mentioned here don't work.

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
IMO driver issue can be :

from user:
- not the correct version (usually not the latest one)
- conflict, corrupt, etc (wrong procedure, broken files, etc)

from maker:
- issue identified but not 100% fixed and released anyway

@recon
you said crap drivers (usually rever to "from maker") but also said bf3 has no issues in cfx and sli so the cause is "from user" -> contradicting and -> blaz reacts to defend the from maker

so which one you actually meant ?

xplaywithmikex

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Tried it at both stock and OC speeds, same issue

xplaywithmikex

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I do have the latest CAP profiles, gonna run 3dmark vantage and ill see what fps i get on that with cf.

Status
Not open for further replies.