Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whant your opinion about this possible upgrade, hd 5850 to gtx 480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:33:33 AM

sup guys, i want to upgrade my 5850, but i cant seem to find what the best upgrade is, i like to stay withing the price range of the current card i have, thats why i wait several generations before doing another upgrade. But the 7850 didnt quite pleased me, and the 7870 is considerably more expensive, today while looking gpus at newegg i found the following http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-... the card is just $220 and is a very fast card, ive seen people oveclock it and the the performance of a stock gtx 580, heat and power cunsumption is NOT a problem for me, but i want to know opinions from you guys

let me know your opinions and ideas

a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:04:00 AM

megagabobe1 said:
sup guys, i want to upgrade my 5850, but i cant seem to find what the best upgrade is, i like to stay withing the price range of the current card i have, thats why i wait several generations before doing another upgrade. But the 7850 didnt quite pleased me, and the 7870 is considerably more expensive, today while looking gpus at newegg i found the following http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-... the card is just $220 and is a very fast card, ive seen people oveclock it and the the performance of a stock gtx 580, heat and power cunsumption is NOT a problem for me, but i want to know opinions from you guys

let me know your opinions and ideas

If using only 1 display at 1920x1080 and coming from a 5850, it does not seem to be a worthy upgrade to me.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:10:33 AM

randomkid said:
If using only 1 display at 1920x1080 and coming from a 5850, it does not seem to be a worthy upgrade to me.

im still deciding on what to do, what would you recommend me to do?? another thing i was thinking is that 2 7850 can be ran with a 650w, i could get one and another one later, but all im doing is looking for options, tell me what would you do in my position, i could spend more, wait for the 660, but im still no sure
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:21:26 AM

I think it's worth it

16% difference and the price is higher on the GTX 480.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:25:41 AM

Quote:
Ignore both of the comments above, not due to lack of knowledge or anything personal, but they are a little incorrect, and maybe misguided.

Here is my 480 in BF3, now i know a 5850 or 560Ti can bearly manage high-ultra without AA at 1080p, check this out:

now this is the kind of evidence i like to see, you are right too, i cannot use any AA on battlefield 3 ant it still runs like at 40fps at 1680x1050, so would you recommend i get this card for just $220?? i could not see the fps on the first vid for the quality, what are the average with everything maxed out?? whats your personal opinion for this card since i dont always trust online reviews, i prefer to hear opinions from people that own the product, thx for the answer

Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:25:54 AM

Of course with a reference card it'd be that low lol. It's ok, I've given what I can.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:29:19 AM

actually the price is lower on the gtx 480, and from my current card the gtx 560 you recommended is just 13% faster, while the gtx 480 is 30%faster, according to that review, i dont like techpowerup reviews
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:31:24 AM

It's okay, some people like to save money, some don't. I've gone to efficiency rather than performance.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:31:44 AM

Quote:
35 minimum 59 average 120 max (without recording)
The 480 is a power guzzling card, but it really is a monster once you overclock it...

Settings in the 1st video were at 1920x1080 maxxed out full tilt!

2nd video shows 560ti settings... the 480 makes mince meat of it at those settings.

35minimum with everything maxed out at 1080p?? then at my resolution it will be like 40-45 minimum wich is the average with my current card
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:33:19 AM

fantastik250 said:
It's okay, some people like to save money, some don't. I've gone to efficiency rather than performance.

well on my house due to certain circumstances i dont have to worry about efficiency, so i prefer performance, but im really thankful that you are trying to help
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:50:53 AM

megagabobe1 said:
that definitely is not a worthy upgrade form a hd 5850

Neither the GTX 480, after some months you'd feel like you wanna upgrade.
If I were you, I would be looking at GTX 670 or HD 7970.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:26:55 PM

Quote:
There is another card that rivals the GTX 480 with much better thermals and power consumption, but starts out slower than the 480, and will need overclocking to keep up.

The 7850 2GB.

my other option was to get one of those, and later to crossfire them since it can be done with a 650w psu, and another thing, how is the overclocking with the 480?? i've heard it gets to the stock performance of a gtx 580
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:33:11 PM

ilysaml said:
Neither the GTX 480, after some months you'd feel like you wanna upgrade.
If I were you, I would be looking at GTX 670 or HD 7970.

talking to a friend that owns a gaming hardware store told me the same thing, but he reconsidered when he saw the price in which the 480 was selling for, but still i havent decided yet, still looking at all my options because were i live taxes increase the prices of hardware like in 40%
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:35:26 PM

Quote:
It will go past a stock 580 once you procede further than 800mhz on the core. (800=580 speed)
I got to 900mhz (peak stable).
At this clock.... it utterly destroys all games.

and you did this with the stock cooler?? i have a haf 922 with 3 200mm fans installed
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:40:11 PM

If those are the options I say 480
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:47:42 PM

spentshells said:
If those are the options I say 480

so you recommend me the gtx 480 too, its just $210, overclocked with no voltage increase i get the the performance of a stock 580, and ill be able to use AA in a lot of games i cant right now, the performance really cripples with the 5850
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:50:03 PM

megagabobe1 said:
so you recommend me the gtx 480 too, its just $210, overclocked with no voltage increase i get the the performance of a stock 580, and ill be able to use AA in a lot of games i cant right now, the performance really cripples with the 5850

if your PSU can handle it then yes it is a good buy I was looking at it myself at a local shop for the same price.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:51:49 PM

Quote:
No, i am on custom air.
Gelid icy vision.

On the stock cooler, you can hit 800mhz with ease and not touch any voltages.

so you do recommend me to get the 480? with 800 on the core i get the performance of a gtx 580, seems fine to me im almost convinced
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:53:45 PM

Quote:
AA performance on the 480... is amazing for the cost.... you will hardly notice the hit in many games.

32xcsaa in BFBC2 averaging around 90fps+

and since you have one ican trust your facts, thx for the help, for the price i think is very good
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 5:59:12 PM

spentshells said:
if your PSU can handle it then yes it is a good buy I was looking at it myself at a local shop for the same price.

the performance you get for the price is excellent in my opinion, but when it comes to hardware its very hard to myself to decide on what to get XD
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:09:38 PM

Quote:
The 480 is a proven card, you could ask anyone who owns one, they will say what i have and maybe more!

It is a monster of a card.

And do not let the power consumption worry you, the 580 guzzles down just as much gas, the only reason it looks better, is the drivers make the card throttle when at a too high temperature ect ect.

The 480 has no throttling control, so you will not be held back!

thx you got me haha, i think it will be my next purchase, just $210 for gtx 580 performance, im not afraid of overclocking so i think ill be fine, thx for the help and your proven facts
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:11:52 PM

Quote:
The 480 is a proven card, you could ask anyone who owns one, they will say what i have and maybe more!

It is a monster of a card.

And do not let the power consumption worry you, the 580 guzzles down just as much gas, the only reason it looks better, is the drivers make the card throttle when at a too high temperature ect ect.

The 480 has no throttling control, so you will not be held back!

I cannot speak of the 7850, everyone just says it is low power consuming and overclocks nicely.

That in reality does not mean alot, considering the 480 is a faster card at stock and even costs less.

GPU IPC is key.
The 480 gains from small clock bumps, the 7850 would need gigantic steps to match it.

and one more question that has been troubling my mind for quite some time now, they say that a nvidia card at 20 fps feels way more smoother than a amd card at 20 fps, do you think its true??
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:12:48 PM

that gameplay overall is smoother on nvidia cards, than on amd, even if they have the same fps
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:47:35 PM

Quote:
I will admit it... it is true, however, i had a 4870 512mb... the stuttering was really bad when i was at the 30fps range.

I am unsure of why Nvidia cards do better at low framerates, but from the 4000 series AMD to the 400 series Nvidia, it was a large noticable difference to me.

BTW, when you get this 480, please come back and have your say on what you think of the card.

I think it is healthy for others here on these forums to know the truth ;) 

i will dont worry haha, thank you very much for the help friend
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:50:44 PM

its decided haha ill get the 480, thx everyone for their answers, this forum never disappoints me
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:54:01 PM

Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 7:30:53 PM

megagabobe1 said:
i think it will be my next purchase, just $210 for gtx 580 performance, im not afraid of overclocking so i think ill be fine, thx for the help and your proven facts

According to some reviews out there the cards reaches 90C during heavy load, don't know how much it will reach when you overclock it. Let's assume it will stay the same, I don't recommend that.
Maybe if you spend extra money on a custom cooler it will be good.
Anyway still with the idea of waiting for a nice upgrade.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 7:32:21 PM

megagabobe1 said:
and one more question that has been troubling my mind for quite some time now, they say that a nvidia card at 20 fps feels way more smoother than a amd card at 20 fps, do you think its true??

I don't know where u did get this from, but sounds to be untrue.
20 FPS is 20 FPS, maybe the image look a bit different.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 7:50:30 PM

ilysaml said:
I don't know where u did get this from, but sounds to be untrue.
20 FPS is 20 FPS, maybe the image look a bit different.

well then show me evidence, several friends of mine have told me the same thing, even recon
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:14:50 PM

Quote:
Gotta love this guy^^
Every thread i recommend the 480 in, you tell them some goofed up review...

Review samples are old, the card he will purchase is a new version with the upgraded bios.

we onto around the 34th time i have proven you wrong now?

Do not expect to exceed 85c in gaming load.

I love you too, but I only believe these, don't care about your youtube video.

Using Furmark

How could I be wrong? The charts do the talk.
So let's assume that the card gets 85C instead of 90C, are you satisfied with these temps? What if an overclock has been made?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:15:44 PM

Quote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-drivers-gef...

Some of our results are amazing. In Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and F1 2010, the minimum improvement is 30 percent. In one rare case, the GeForce GTX 480 experienced a 75% performance jump. The only oddball is World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm, where older drivers seem to deliver better performance. Practically speaking, the performance loss may not matter much. If you are already gaming at 90+ FPS in a MMORPG, losing nine FPS is probably inconsequential. But if you are spending hard-earned dough on a graphics card, it's in bad taste to lose performance in subsequent driver updates.

Beyond performance gains, the conclusions from our earlier AMD driver article are still valid. We usually assume the largest performance jump occurs when we max out all settings, but this isn't true every time. The reverse actually occurred with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and F1 2010. There are scenarios where new drivers bring better performance at lower resolutions and lower quality settings.

When it comes to the GeForce GTX 480 specifically, drivers seem to matter much more. This makes reasonable sense, given the newness of its Fermi architecture and the expected evolution that happens over time as driver developers and ISVs get more experience from the new hardware. You can look at this one of two ways. Either Nvidia is progressively optimizing its drivers or it did a poor job of delivering good performance when its card launched.

The same can be said for AMD. It is either making fewer optimizations over time, or it is delivering more of its potential performance when a product launches. However, this only applies to the last generation of cards. It's possible that the scenario will change in the future when we look at the GTX 580 and the Radeon HD 6970.

The 480 is still being improved in 301.xx drivers, read the documentation on Nvidia.

Heat/noise:

its not loud at all haha, thx for those videos im even more convinced now haha, i wont hesitate now when i order it, and the price is perfect for me
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:18:02 PM

megagabobe1 said:
well then show me evidence, several friends of mine have told me the same thing, even recon

How could I prove that? Right now I own an AMD card but I had so many nVidia cards in the past. Lag is Lag
20 FPS makes the game not playable and a lot of lag and slow motion, 30 FPS make the game kinda smooth, 40+ FPS make the game very flawless, 60 FPS you get the smoothest gameplay unless you have 120Hz monitor.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:18:20 PM

Quote:
Yup: For ilysaml

ROFL
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:22:17 PM

@megagabobe1
Did you look at the charts before ROFL?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:24:38 PM

ilysaml said:
@megagabobe1
Did you look at the charts before ROFL?

yes haha, but the card is not loud at all, and the video proves it by running metro 2033, and if you have good airflow temps should be not a pronlem, plus that card is made to run at those temps
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:25:08 PM

Quote:
Yup, and it proved me even more correct on the matter, cheers though ;) 

You wouldn't have got Gelid coolers if temps were not an issue? Still correct?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:25:20 PM

and in those charts they did not had msi fan profiles, they leave that at stock
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:28:33 PM

megagabobe1 said:
yes haha, but the card is not loud at all, and the video proves it by running metro 2033, and if you have good airflow temps should be not a pronlem, plus that card is made to run at those temps

Listen, i believe that the card got 85C, but during hours of hardcore gaming, temps should increase.
I haven't found one article stating what he was saying regarding the BIOS upgrade and temps, but you still right, these cards were designed to run as hot as hell. But I believe that everyone's avoiding these temps, performance gets throttled sometimes or leading to artifacts. I would consider heat and power consumption at the first place before looking at FPS upgrade.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:29:48 PM

Quote:
I am overvolting my card, you can try and make me out to be wrong...
I have far too much hard evidence i am afraid matey ;) 

@ megagabobe1, did you take note that the card only hit 85c after rendering the most stressful game known to man.... :D 

yep thats why im not worried, and with an msi fan profile temps will be much lower than in those charts, plus i have 3 200mm fans in my case, im interested in performance not heat
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:31:39 PM

megagabobe1 said:
and in those charts they did not had msi fan profiles, they leave that at stock

You could look yourself at the MSI profiles here
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-revie...
You wouldn't live with fans at 70% or above, you'd feel like it's a vacuum machine.
And look at the temps too, another review prove hitting 90C
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:34:34 PM

Quote:
Just ignore the fool trying to sideswipe you from the purchase..

You've not learned from the last ban?
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:38:19 PM

megagabobe1 said:
yep thats why im not worried, and with an msi fan profile temps will be much lower than in those charts, plus i have 3 200mm fans in my case, im interested in performance not heat

I'm just giving you my opinion, not interested in what purchase you make but I guess everyone here is to give an advice.
And by saying "I care about performance not heat" You don't know what you're saying.
It's the same thing happened with Ivy bridge CPUs, people went for minor performance upgrade and didn't realize about the heat issues.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:40:08 PM

Quote:
Learned what?
That i should listen to someone without experience with the card?

Not wanting an argument Ilysaml..

You should have learnt to speak with respect, no matter what the others saying.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:41:10 PM

Quote:
Opinions are nothing against experience and hard facts.
Now onto CPU's?
...ok

So guru3d, hardwarecanucks and other tech teams weren't experienced, and you're the experienced? :pfff: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:41:41 PM

ilysaml said:
Listen, i believe that the card got 85C, but during hours of hardcore gaming, temps should increase.
I haven't found one article stating what he was saying regarding the BIOS upgrade and temps, but you still right, these cards were designed to run as hot as hell. But I believe that everyone's avoiding these temps, performance gets throttled sometimes or leading to artifacts. I would consider heat and power consumption at the first place before looking at FPS upgrade.

if i let the amd drivers control the fan speed it will get as hot as 80-85 degrees, with a msi fan profile it reaches 60-65 depending on the game, the same can be done with the gtx 480
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:43:27 PM

megagabobe1 said:
if i let the amd drivers control the fan speed it will get as hot as 80-85 degrees, with a msi fan profile it reaches 60-65 depending on the game, the same can be done with the gtx 480

Whatever..Good Luck with your purchase.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 8:46:39 PM

ilysaml said:
Whatever..Good Luck with your purchase.

in forums and chats people often misunderstand the tone of the message people try to give, im not fighting with you, i just dont believe all those bad thing that were said of the cards, and the videos pretty much showed me that
Score
!