Sign in with
Your question

Mother board slots too close

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2012 5:40:42 AM

I have a G31-M7 TE 6.7 mother board it has a single PCIe slot but there is a problem my PCIe and PCI slots are too close i think and i want to buy a radeon HD 7850 WHICH REQUIRES TWO SLOT SPACE.......so if anyone knws abt this mother board can i still be this card as i want to knw before i make a purchase
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 5:55:48 AM

You can use it, it just covers the slots, it doesn't USE two slots. If you are using another card, it will block one of the slots.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 5:58:12 AM

The only problem is if you are going to use 2 PCI components. But if you will use only 1 PCI component or non at all, then you have no problem even if the 7850 covers one of the PCI slots.

The other one will be free for any PCI component you want to add in the future.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:04:22 AM

Got this answer from another site so it seems i didnt fully state my concern

ok if u look closely u will see how close the PCIe and the PCI are to each other...and the PCI is taller that the PCIe so will the video card be tall enough to clear the PCI slot and till connect properly
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:07:30 AM

There will be enough room to clear the PCI slots. But if you are really concerned that it will be that close, then get a reference (original) 7850, don't get the customized coolers, they do make it big.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:10:26 AM

ok will buy it then but can anyone say definately it will work remeber that the PCI is taller.......dont have the resources for trail and error
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:12:40 AM

The one cooler that I think that can clear it might be the MSI R7850. You can always send it back if it doesn't fit.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:15:01 AM

There is a problem with sending it back thats why i want to get it right the first time i live in Jamaica and its not cheap to pay for shipping and handling plus the loads of custom duties
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:15:18 AM

which someone cud try it and tell me
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:28:47 AM

If you look at the cooler on the website, the cooler is more on the top rather than on the bottom where you connect the PCI-E interface. It will fit. I have the same type of cooler for my card. And that is the only card from what I see that can fit. But anyone else can give you suggestions.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:31:19 AM

The MSI R7850 ?
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:32:03 AM

That is correct.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:34:58 AM

ok good thanks and i suppose it has pretty much the same when it comes on to performance and power usage as the HD 7850
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:38:07 AM

Yes, the performance is a little higher because MSI clocked it a bit higher than the reference (original) 7850.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:38:30 AM

jevano said:
ok will buy it then but can anyone say definately it will work remeber that the PCI is taller.......dont have the resources for trail and error

The PCI may be tall but it is not tall enough to cause obstruction to any cooler. If you look at graphics card, the gold part goes right into PCIe slot. Between the gold part & the coolers, you will see a certain gap that is almost as high as the gold part.

Check if the PCI is higher than the PCIe slot by this much to be sure.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:45:12 AM

YEA MAN U ARE HITTING THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD THATS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:46:30 AM

Either way, the MSI will better give you better clearance.

m
l
June 7, 2012 6:49:36 AM

thats for all your help and timely response must recommend this site to friends....i will go for it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:52:27 AM

jevano said:
thats for all your help and timely response

Most welcome! :) 

jevano said:
must recommend this site to friends

Please do. We are most happy to help.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:53:54 AM

No problem.
m
l
June 7, 2012 2:43:28 PM

OK hey everyone measured it this morning and i need about .6cm of clearance
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 4:00:47 PM

0.6cm is definitely clear.

What you can do is magnify this page by pressing "Ctrl"+"+" repeatedly to zoom on the graphics card we posted until it becomes life size (it took me 3 presses on a 1920x1080 monitor). Then measure the clearance between the gold plated contacts up to the bottom of the heat sink & voila... :) 
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:32:21 PM

Yea i just measured it....it cleared thanks
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:19:56 PM

OK next question i am also buying a new power supply......a 550W....but the ones i have see are all over 6inch width and my system unit is only 6inches across.......does anyone knw of any PSU that can fit my computer that is reasonable and dependable

I was checking this one out is it any good http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS550A-BK
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 4:18:28 AM

jevano said:
OK next question i am also buying a new power supply......a 550W....but the ones i have see are all over 6inch width and my system unit is only 6inches across.......does anyone knw of any PSU that can fit my computer that is reasonable and dependable

I was checking this one out is it any good http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS550A-BK

That doesn't look like a decent power supply at all. I recommend corsair, seasonic brands. They may be more expensive but worth it.

I would also suggest that you create another thread stating the Topic as "In need of power supply" or something like it. It will get your thread more attention too seeing that there are still few replies to it & the question is clearly stated.

Good luck.
m
l
!