Sign in with
Your question

Black screen freezes.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2012 5:54:44 AM

First I'll start with my system specs, which are as follows.

Hard drive: 500gb WD Caviar blue
Processor: Intel I5-2500 3.30ghz
Ram: 8 gb Corsair Vengence (2x4 gb)
Video Card: Sapphire HD 6850 1gb
PSU: 650w Seasonic modular
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-v LX

The issue is that when I alt-tab full screen games that I get a black screen that I can do nothing with. Ctl-Alt-Del doesnt work, no keyboard commands I've tried have any effect. Leaving the system on for up to 36 hours, also has no effect. The only way I have found to resolve the issue is to power the system manually.

The same thing occurs when I try to run the same programs in a wide screen resolution. My monitor isnt a wide screen monitor, so I'm not certain if this is related. But when I set the resolution to a wide screen resolution (say, 1280 x 960) I will black screen upon starting the game.

This issue is fixed if I run the program in windowed mode on every occasion.

Some random notes:

I have checked with AMD, and the drivers for the video card are up to date.

The video card temps never reach above 70c even under load.

CPU temps never top 50c

There are no graphical "glitches" or other signs of problems while running any game or 3-d program. And everything seems fine as long as I dont attempt to alt-tab.

The games are League of Legends, Skyrim, and Fallout New Vegas.

Fallout 3 minimized fine the last time I checked.

More about : black screen freezes

June 7, 2012 6:16:52 AM

i would start by checking your bios..there a few cpu and memory bug fixes for the asus mb. i would look at cpu-z and see under the spd tab the speed your dimms are rated for. i would check to see that your ram speed and timming are fine. i would run memtest just to see if your ram is fine. i would also check to see that the ram is in the right slots and that the video card is in the right slot too. I would also use gpu-z and see if the mb reading the video card right...right pci bus speed..ram speed and voltage. if there fine i would try and turn everything off in ms config and see if it something that running in windows that causing the issue like anti virus. if it not hardware it could be windows aero causing the issue. you casn try in the game short cut to turn off aero.
m
l
Related resources
!