Aftermarket cpu cooler help?

ben4933

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
so ive recently purchased an amd phenom II x4 965 black edition. the cpu itself hits 50C gaming but the cooler is very very very loud. hitting 5000rpm i guess it would be loud. the cpu cooler is STOCK.

so i need better cooling and due to a horror story with my older computer with water cooling i wish to stick to fans. so my question really is, any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler that is somewhat quieter and may reduce heats. now for the problem, i am space restricted so i cant upgrade to an engine of a cooler so i guess it would have to be somewhat small.

thanks in advance

ben4933

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

i like the look if that, it's also inexpensive, my worry is that the heatsink will actually hit the ram on the board meaning i wont be able to use.

Can you give us a picture of your motherboard? and let us know what ram slots you are using? The hyper 212 is raised up a bit off of the mobo before the fan/heatsink start to stick out, you can also flip the fan around and have it attached on the other side - away from the ram, if that is a problem

ben4933

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
here is a picture of my motherboard

og9x8i.jpg

i have highlighted the problematic areas on the board

1: the 4 pin psu fan is VERY close to the stock cooler as it is, was a pain to plug in, if width of the new cooler is any more i will not be able to plug the fan in!

2: the space from the cooler to the RAM is also very limited, I'm using both slots with cheap generic RAM no extra coolers installed.

I'm pretty sure the Hyper 212 will work with that, you would need to move the fan to the other side of the cooler and make it a "pull" fan(so you have room for the ram).

Might want to wait for others to comment but I think you would be ok. If you look at the pictures of the cooler from the side you will see it really isn't much wider than the CPU itself - other than the fan, but as i said that can be moved to the opposite side of your ram. Just make sure when you switch the fan you also change the brackets on it so it is held in a way that it still blows air toward the back of the case.