Sign in with
Your question

FINAL feedback on new upgrade

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2012 5:34:30 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: In the commning next two weeks.

Budget Range: Approximately 1000$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Guild wars 2 on max settings).

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MOBO, GPU, RAM, SSD, Extra fan.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Komplett.dk

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.

Overclocking: Maybe a little.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Need to get ready for Guild wars 2 =).

Current setup:

Case: Cooler master 690 advanced
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Corsair 750W

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50

And here is what I've been looking at for the remaining slots:

New setup:

GPU - Asus GTX670 or GIGAbyte GTX670

Read the article about a series of 670 cards, and it sounds like both are really good, but just wanted to hear if you guys have something else to say. I'll probably go with the Asus, if nothing else.

CPU - Intel I5 - 3570 K

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Memobry - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 186

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB

Fan - Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm

My greatest concern lies in my choice of MOBO and memory, will they be compatible together, and are they in generel a good choice?

I hope I got everything you need to know in the post, anyway, in advance I thank you for any reply.

More about : final feedback upgrade

Anonymous
July 29, 2012 5:52:16 PM

Warspite said:

My greatest concern lies in my choice of MOBO and memory, will they be compatible together, and are they in generel a good choice?

I hope I got everything you need to know in the post, anyway, in advance I thank you for any reply.

FYI, there will be no better performance with any RAM faster than 1600 when gaming.
July 29, 2012 5:52:39 PM

If I were you I would wait until spring to refit your system with new haswell processors and possibly gtx 700 series gpus.
On the other hand, if you can't wait the parts you selected are almost exactly what I would put in a computer today, with the exception of the memory. A 2400mhz 8gb kit will make absolutely sure that you have no bottlenecking. even if 1600mhz is the usual best price/performance point, these sticks will be very future-proof.
Related resources
July 29, 2012 5:53:47 PM

All parts look good.

Motherboard looks good to me.

I like the low profile ram, but there is no need for ram faster than 1600.
Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Of the two GTX670 cards, I would go with the gigabyte card.
1. It is a bit faster.
2. The triple slot requirement of the asus seems a bit overdone to me.

Actually, If it is available, I would buy the EVGA GTX670 FTW version. It costs no more, is even faster than the gigabyte, and has a direct exhaust cooler.

July 29, 2012 6:20:48 PM

Quote:
look bro... there is not such thing as a "Faster" GTX 670... they are ALL the same, the only diference is the cooler and the stock overclock, you can easily set the clocks of the Gigabyte's GTX 670 to the exact same of clocks of a gtx670 ftw and they will perform EXACTLY THE SAME.... and i belive the Gigabyte's GTX 670 will be quieter

Well, you are correct, in that all GTX670 cards are essentially the same.
But some chips can OC to higher limits, and the graphics card vendors are wise to this. They bin their chips, and put the best ones in their factory overclocked cards, so that they can charge more for them.

That is not to say that if you are lucky or skilled, you can't do better with your own OC.

As to cooling, again, the graphics card vendors are installing cooling solutions to differentiate their cards. For the most part, they are very effective, particularly in an open test bed.
But in a case, without a direct exit path fot the hot air, they are less effective. The hot air left in the case heats up both the gpu AND the cpu.
Since the 28nm GTX670 is not a hot card to begin with, I would not worry about cooling anyway.
July 29, 2012 6:25:42 PM

Quote:
look bro... there is not such thing as a "Faster" GTX 670... they are ALL the same, the only diference is the cooler and the stock overclock, you can easily set the clocks of the Gigabyte's GTX 670 to the exact same of clocks of a gtx670 ftw and they will perform EXACTLY THE SAME.... and i belive the Gigabyte's GTX 670 will be quieter

Wrong. No two chips perform exactly the same.

"bro", Next time you post, you might want to weigh the words of the guy with 150+ best answers in the homebrew category a little more carefully.

The meaning behind his words you fail to comprehend is that gigabyte's chip may have won a little more in the silicon lottery, that is, it's a decent bet the gigabyte card has a higher binned chip than ASUS's.

the gigabyte card is cheaper, takes less space, is more likely to have a high oc'ing chip than the Asus, and doesn't lose much cooling to the ASUS card.

Your card is a good suggestion, but he wasn't talking about your card at all.
July 29, 2012 6:43:53 PM

The DC2T is triple slot, but the DC2 is dual slot, and it still has a better cooler than the gigabyte. More fans =/= better.
July 29, 2012 7:00:42 PM

azeem40 said:
The DC2T is triple slot, but the DC2 is dual slot, and it still has a better cooler than the gigabyte. More fans =/= better.

That's seems to be a baseless claim combined with an assumption that I don't do any research.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

The Asus cooler isn't any better than gigabyte's on this card.
July 29, 2012 7:12:47 PM

According to Guru3D, it is.
July 29, 2012 7:18:10 PM

azeem40 said:
According to Guru3D, it is.

And I'm sure there are many more articles that agree with you, and also many more that agree with tom's review.

Between the two, you think my original conclusion that the gigabyte cooler doesn't lose much cooling to Asus's might actually have been accurate to begin with?
July 29, 2012 7:19:12 PM

I never doubted that the gigabyte is a better value than the asus.
July 29, 2012 7:24:13 PM

About the 670s- buy the cheapest one with an aftermarket cooling solution. The amount of dispute over which one is best just goes to show how similar they are in performance.
Also the noctual nh-d14 is the best cooling solution unless you go full-out water cooling. Closed-loop cpu water cooling is by nature less efficient than large towers like the nh-d14, that model being the cream of the crop.
July 29, 2012 8:11:49 PM

first off, I greatly appreciate all the fast replies. Not sure if it didn't come through in my post, but what is listed beneath "Current setup" in my post, is what I already have in my PC, and wasent really meant to be discussed. However, I can see some of you criticize my CPU cooler, should I, while im at it, invest in a new CPU cooler too, if so any suggestions?

FAN:

Quote:
That fan is UGLY AS HELL, depending on the case you get you can buy a much better looking fan(s) that will perform equal to the noctua fan

I dont really care that much for the look, but I might as well pick one which fit the case if it's just as effective. Any suggestions here?

GPU:
I can see this subject, is a hot topic and it might get hard to choose between the two. Didn't really mean to start a debate like this, but I'll of course keep taking additional argument into account.

July 29, 2012 8:12:37 PM

Quote:
oh shut up, they are ALL the same and i know some chips overclock higher than others based on their fabrication quality, unlike you, i am not stupid and instead of buying a factory overclocked card that might have been overclocked to its highest point i buy reference cards (EVGA mostly) that are not overclocked because most people think that because a card is factory overclock it will oc higher but thats where they are wrong (some times not) companies like EVGA,Asus,Gigabyte,etc test their chips to see wich ones are "OK" for a small overclock (wich ends up being what u call "Factory overclock") and leave the rest to be sold with the stock clocks BUT... lets say that out of 150 chips they tested 100 were able to achive a "Factory overclock"... do you think that ALL 100 chips will be sold as "Factory overclocked cards"? of course not... they pick maybe 20 chips ramdonly that will be sold as factory overclocked cards and leave the rest to be sold normally, this DOES NOT mean that the 20 chips they decided to sell as "Factory overclocked" are the best chips they have, they simply meet the quality requierement to sustain a pre stablished "Overclock standard"

Edit: at the end, it all comes down to luck, buying a factory overclock card will not guarantee you anything.

Who the hell are you to tell someone to shut up? I agree with the factory OC part, though.
July 29, 2012 8:21:12 PM

Chromoid. You're talking nonsense. The gigabyte factory overclocked card being considered here is the cheapest card in this thread.

Also, do you see guarantees or absolutes in my posts, or do you see phrases like "more likely"? Are you suggesting he go with the more expensive card with the chip less likely to have come from better stock?
July 29, 2012 9:06:41 PM

The noctua nh-d14 shares a top spot in cpu cooling with the zalman cnps12x. Both are much better options than your current cooler.
If you don't care about the look then the nh-d14 with the complementing noctua fans you suggested are a great idea performance wise, and actually might look ok.

My other comments sum up the 670 issue pretty well from my perspective.
July 29, 2012 11:06:27 PM

Warspite said:
first off, I greatly appreciate all the fast replies. Not sure if it didn't come through in my post, but what is listed beneath "Current setup" in my post, is what I already have in my PC, and wasent really meant to be discussed. However, I can see some of you criticize my CPU cooler, should I, while im at it, invest in a new CPU cooler too, if so any suggestions?

FAN:

Quote:
That fan is UGLY AS HELL, depending on the case you get you can buy a much better looking fan(s) that will perform equal to the noctua fan

I dont really care that much for the look, but I might as well pick one which fit the case if it's just as effective. Any suggestions here?

GPU:
I can see this subject, is a hot topic and it might get hard to choose between the two. Didn't really mean to start a debate like this, but I'll of course keep taking additional argument into account.

To answer your question.
I did understand that you intended to retain the parts first mentioned, including the H50.
I have no problem with that. If you are happy with it, by all means keep it.
The all in one coolers would not be my first choice though. They tend to be noisier, more expensive, and possibly less reliable than a simple air cooler. When mounted to draw in cool air from the outside, it helps cooling the cpu, but dumps the heated air back into the case where case cooling has to deal with it.

Noctua makes about the best fans. They push lots of air and are quiet. My take is pretty is as pretty does.
If you have a window to show it off, lookers will know you have good taste in components. With no window...who cares?

The Noctua NH-D14 is a great cooler. If you want more quiet, go for it.

July 29, 2012 11:38:27 PM

Quote:
To answer your question.
I did understand that you intended to retain the parts first mentioned, including the H50.
The all in one coolers would not be my first choice though. They tend to be noisier, more expensive, and possibly less reliable than a simple air cooler. When mounted to draw in cool air from the outside, it helps cooling the cpu, but dumps the heated air back into the case where case cooling has to deal with it.

Noctua makes about the best fans. They push lots of air and are quiet. My take is pretty is as pretty does.
If you have a window to show it off, lookers will know you have good taste in components. With no window...who cares?

Well, tbh I have never really been impressed by my H50, not sure if I even liked the damn thing :na:  . It's just that I'm not sure, if I want to spend money on a new CPU cooler when I might not even OC the CPU. Is it only worth the money if I do OC?

Though I have considered buying the Noctua. But again, comes down to the question above.
July 29, 2012 11:40:49 PM

Yeah, no point in getting a new CPU COoler. Just stick with stock HSF unless you are peculiar to noise.
July 29, 2012 11:56:48 PM

Warspite said:
Quote:
To answer your question.

Well, tbh I have never really been impressed by my H50, not sure if I even liked the damn thing :na:  . It's just that I'm not sure, if I want to spend money on a new CPU cooler when I might not even OC the CPU. Is it only worth the money if I do OC?

Though I have considered buying the Noctua. But again, comes down to the question above.

It would be a shame not ot overclock the 3570K a bit. The chip runs cool until you get to an aggressive oc that requires voltage increases. 3.4 to 4.2 or so is very easy and conservative.

If you have a place to market your H50, you could replace it with something like a cm hyper212 which is a very effective cooler that will do the job. At $20-$30 in the US, it is a real bargain.
July 30, 2012 12:08:33 AM

The H50 must be better than stock. I'm sure it will even enable small OCs.
-Bruce
!