Sign in with
Your question

Blue spark inside power supply when I connected the power cord

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2012 7:16:58 PM

I just got my PC home from warranty and I didn't notice that the power supply switch was turned on so when I connected the power cord to the power supply, I saw a small blue spark inside the power supply near the power supply outlet.

I was quite worried so I waited for a bit before I turned it on but everything seems to be fine at the moment but should I still be worried? Maybe the spark still did some damage that might show later on?
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 9:05:47 PM

Well we can't really tell for now unless you open the PSU. But I'd get it checked out , you don't want a PSU to fry your motherboard from a faulty rail etc.

Hope I helped
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 9:13:18 PM

Shut the machine off and return the PSU asap. I cant tell you exactly whats wrong but I can tell you that it's not good and a bad PSU can fry your whole machine
Related resources
December 11, 2012 9:35:10 PM

I actually got the PC back from warranty, I did say that the PSU fan seemed to have a weird noise but from the tests that they did, they didn't find any problems.

I'm pretty sure that returning it again will give the same results, that they won't find an issue.

Also, the PSU is Fortron FSP500-60APN

Honestly, the guys at the shop say that if something dies then bring it back and we will replace it. They send the pieces to the manufacturer themselves. I still have about 10 months left on my warranty.
a c 133 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 10:01:19 PM

Fortron is one of the manufacturers for PSU's, they make PSU's for ThermalTake, BeQuiet!, and a few others also. The one thing I've noticed about FSP is their quality is inconsistant. Some are highly praised units, others fail testing miserably as the reviews from this chart reflect http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/FSP.htm
One thing I will tell you is that a spark of any color or nature within the PSU is not normal nor good. I have to agree with CMI86 here, I think your best course is to get it replaced.
December 11, 2012 10:02:26 PM

There is nothing to worry about. This is common when you connect the power cable with the Power Supply Switch on.

It is good you noticed though, but there is nothing to really worry about.

You can try again with the Power Supply Switch turned off this time and you'll notice it won't occur again.
December 11, 2012 10:16:14 PM

Nedal0 said:
There is nothing to worry about. This is common when you connect the power cable with the Power Supply Switch on.

It is good you noticed though, but there is nothing to really worry about.

You can try again with the Power Supply Switch turned off this time and you'll notice it won't occur again.

Yes, I kinda remember my old PC doing that when the switch was on, it's about 7 years old now and still working.

But to reply to C12Friedman. I thought it was weird, I read good reviews on their power supplies, yet I had to replace it one time already because its fan died. I tried asking the guys at the shop if they managed to find out why the fan died and they said that the manufacturer didn't give them an answer and just sent back a new one.

I think I just might stick with the power supply for now. It seems to be working fine and I still have 10 months of warranty for the whole PC.
December 12, 2012 9:59:17 AM

Good decision !

Sometimes only the user knows what is best although lots of people try to help.

In this situation I think you are making the right choice as there is no need to panic.

Have a good day and enjoy your PC
!