Noob trying to build a budget gaming rig...2012

My budget- $700 <---- i understand how low that is. ********SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED SO MANY TIMES****
crossfire- if its fits in the budget and if its necessary ***** AND IF THIS IS STUPID, IM A NOOB*****
sli- ^-----same goes
case- nothing fancy, as long as its cheap and keeps the system cool
os- no need for windows because I have windows 7 ultimate 64bit on usb
dvd drive- not needed
hdd- 500-1tb

Everything else I do not care about, whether its from amd or intel, not importnt, as long as i can play games such as bf3 on high, ultra if possible...thats fine with me.

Thanks in advanced for those who will help...I also do not need the criticism, I don't know much about hardware, except for what each component does, but I don't specifically each hardware and its compatibility. Like I know ram helps when running multiple application and I know that graphic cards help wit gaming...but I dont know like if radeon hd 7770 is good enough to run bf3 or something like that.....

Also, I don't need it to be future proof, if I can upgrade the parts that would be suffice!

Once again thanks in advanced
24 answers Last reply
More about noob build budget gaming 2012
  1. Here is a build for budget gaming:

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 $124
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077

    Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $19
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 $94
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297

    GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti $224
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594

    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W $89
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $59
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $53
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

    Total = $662
  2. The i5-2400 build will perform better.
  3. Lol 212+ for what? Over clocking lol
  4. 212+ is for quietness, nothing more.
  5. And you forgot to chose a hard drive bro
  6. He probably has one since he didn't spec it.
  7. azeem40 said:
    212+ is for quietness, nothing more.


    Yeah because the stock intel fan is friggin loud!
  8. It is. I have one and it humms loudly.
  9. When I turn on my pc the fan goes hyper mode but then goes down to 2000 rpm
  10. guerrero said:


    This. Stock Intel HSF is fine for until you OC... which you can't with either the i3 or i5 selected. i still use it on my 2500k. til i need to OC it's fine.
  11. If you want quiet I would get a better heatsink and fan
  12. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $672.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-29 19:51 EDT-0400)

    This build will kill the other ones. Feel free to spend $10 over your budget and upgrade to an i5, you will see a big improvement in some games, especially BF3. Oh, and it leaves headroom to Crossfire another 7850.
  13. You might want to explain why it is better instead of just blurting out it's better.
  14. Why are people recommending Z77 boards with a CPU that can't OC? Pick another chipset like H61 or B75. Throwing more money at the Motherboard doesn't necessarily make it better you know.
  15. I agree with you 100%. Get an H77 Pro4 MVP instead.
  16. I didnt forget a hard drive - read his post and the 212 works fine for overclocks
  17. avenseth12 said:
    I didnt forget a hard drive - read his post and the 212 works fine for overclocks


    I DID READ and I think he wants a HDD with 500gb-1tb
  18. Get an h61 Mobo. Get a core i3. Everything cheap and a HD 7850. Core i3 2120 will be just enough to run hd 7850 without much problems. NO cooler buy the way. Don't get CX 500. Get Seasonic 520 something. It's bronze certified and will give you much better quality for money.
  19. koudou said:
    Why are people recommending Z77 boards with a CPU that can't OC?

    To allow for an upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on?


    avenseth12 said:
    I didnt forget a hard drive - read his post and the 212 works fine for overclocks

    Because you'll be doing tons of overclocking with a locked i3.

    OP, Here is a i5+7870 build that is a tad over your budget.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $707.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-29 21:33 EDT-0400)
  20. fpoon said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $672.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-29 19:51 EDT-0400)

    This build will kill the other ones. Feel free to spend $10 over your budget and upgrade to an i5, you will see a big improvement in some games, especially BF3. Oh, and it leaves headroom to Crossfire another 7850.



    Your build I like it, but if I can't oc, could we swap out that otherboard for cheaper one, that is good? Is there anything esle we could cut down on? Sorry if I'm being picky but ...can't sell my laptop for 700, so I'm going to try dropping the price to around 620-630, anyway you can make a build around that with high settings in bf3? The video card is nice, i looked on youtube and people said they had bf3 on ultra/ high settings with this graphic card!

    Thanks and cheers :)
  21. I appreciate everyone's support! THanks mates!
  22. Merueth said:
    To allow for an upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on?


    Because you'll be doing tons of overclocking with a locked i3.

    OP, Here is a i5+7870 build that is a tad over your budget.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $707.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-29 21:33 EDT-0400)


    Anonymous said:
    Your build I like it, but if I can't oc, could we swap out that otherboard for cheaper one, that is good? Is there anything esle we could cut down on? Sorry if I'm being picky but ...can't sell my laptop for 700, so I'm going to try dropping the price to around 620-630, anyway you can make a build around that with high settings in bf3? The video card is nice, i looked on youtube and people said they had bf3 on ultra/ high settings with this graphic card!

    Thanks and cheers :)


    Yes, you can cut on the motherboard if you want. And probably still get that 7870 on Merueth's build, which is a hell of a deal.
  23. Merueth said:
    To allow for an upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on?


    Because you'll be doing tons of overclocking with a locked i3.

    OP, Here is a i5+7870 build that is a tad over your budget.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $707.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-29 21:33 EDT-0400)

    No, just no @ the upgrading to IB. It is a waste of $ to upgrade from SB to IB as there is a small difference. If you were upgrading from like a P4 to IB, then it'd make sense.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product