Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cable question

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2012 9:23:21 PM

I went over to a friend of mines shop, which is a PC repair/modding/build shop, and I noticed he self sleeves all of his cables and yadda yadda yadda.
When I came home I started browsing frozencpu.com and was looking at their modding equipment and sleeve equipment and I came across this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g51/c327/s1704/list/p1/Connectors-Wire-16_AWG_Wire-Page1.html?id=drwGKoET&mv_pc=8260

I was wondering if I would be able to take this wire or the other gauges of wire, and create my own, lets say, 24 pin motherboard connector extensions. It would be much cheaper than buying the extensions pre-sleeved or just buying any other extension and sleeving them myself.
They have all the connectors, pins, etc. needed I was just wondering if I could pull it off without destroying my motherboard.

*Update*: Okay it might not be cheaper, only maybe a few dollars more, but a fun experience none-the-less.

More about : cable question

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 9:32:45 PM

I wouldn't recommend using that wire for making your own connectors.

1. I'm not 100% sure if it'll work
2. It's safer to use a professional made cable for an expensive system
3. I'm lazy and would rather spent the extra dollars than make it myself

So your choice :')
December 11, 2012 9:39:15 PM

why don't you have your friend that owns the mod shop make them for you - he has the tools necessary to crimp the pins and so forth... you could just hang out there while he does them to see how it's done
Score
Related resources
December 11, 2012 9:46:46 PM

dingo07 said:
why don't you have your friend that owns the mod shop make them for you - he has the tools necessary to crimp the pins and so forth... you could just hang out there while he does them to see how it's done

But I want to do it :(  Haha I was going to call him but he's busy at the moment and I knew this place gives some good answers.
All I wanted to know is if you could actually do it, but I might go with pre-sleeved cabling like ihsaan96 stated. It's much cheaper than doing it yourself per cable (1 foot extension just for reference was about $40 for a 24 pin motherboard extension for everything you need; I used a foot for reference because all the items were sold by the foot.)
Score
December 11, 2012 9:59:20 PM

well... then do it - anything is possible with the right tools, but IMO the money can be well spent elsewhere
Score
December 18, 2012 11:30:44 PM

Best answer selected by AcidElement.
Score
!