Does a static discharge kill a component instantly or can it weaken it

and cause it to fail after a short while, reducing its lifespan?
4 answers Last reply
More about does static discharge kill component instantly weaken
  1. in theory you could have a discharge that would only weaken it but it would have to be a vary weak one. ive always seen static just kill the component instantly.
  2. farrengottu said:
    in theory you could have a discharge that would only weaken it but it would have to be a vary weak one. ive always seen static just kill the component instantly.

thanks... someone was yelling at me for touching a graphics card with a towel because he apparently did it too and he said that after a few months the card failed or something like that
    total bullshit right?
  3. Any type of Static Discharge is bad very very very very very very bad for electronics.... ive seen video cards go dead that way...
    Always to make sure you touch some sort of metal before touching electrical components
  4. Shockattackr said:
    Any type of Static Discharge is bad very very very very very very bad for electronics.... ive seen video cards go dead that way...
    Always to make sure you touch some sort of metal before touching electrical components

yea I always rub my hands on the case before I touch anything inside my computer, didn't think it was anything more than a superstition I had
    thank you
    I bought some rubber gloves too, it felt great being able to maneuver things a little more
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Components Systems