Sign in with
Your question

Does a static discharge kill a component instantly or can it weaken it

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2012 7:23:13 PM

and cause it to fail after a short while, reducing its lifespan?
July 29, 2012 7:28:05 PM

in theory you could have a discharge that would only weaken it but it would have to be a vary weak one. ive always seen static just kill the component instantly.
July 30, 2012 5:17:11 PM

farrengottu said:
in theory you could have a discharge that would only weaken it but it would have to be a vary weak one. ive always seen static just kill the component instantly.

thanks... someone was yelling at me for touching a graphics card with a towel because he apparently did it too and he said that after a few months the card failed or something like that
total bullshit right?
Related resources
July 30, 2012 5:22:59 PM

Any type of Static Discharge is bad very very very very very very bad for electronics.... ive seen video cards go dead that way...
Always to make sure you touch some sort of metal before touching electrical components
July 30, 2012 5:36:56 PM

Shockattackr said:
Any type of Static Discharge is bad very very very very very very bad for electronics.... ive seen video cards go dead that way...
Always to make sure you touch some sort of metal before touching electrical components

yea I always rub my hands on the case before I touch anything inside my computer, didn't think it was anything more than a superstition I had
thank you
I bought some rubber gloves too, it felt great being able to maneuver things a little more
!