My computer frezzes in games

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hey there

i have built my own pc and everything works ok unlees when i play games then after 10-30 min the pc frezzes

Specs:
MB: Asus P8Z77-V
Cpu: Intel core i5 3570k
Psu: Corsair ax 750
GFX: Gigabyte gtx 680 windforce 3x
SSD: intel 520 series 240 gb
Ram Kingston hyper x genesis 1600 mhz ram (http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3X2K2_8GX.pdf)

i have been looking but cant seem to find a solution

it is under 2 weeks old

i has been having exams so that why i first play games now

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
i have cpu-z and gpu-z, hwmonitor and intel burn test

I installed the new drivers from nvidia when they came i used drive swepper and bootet into safe mode and used drive sweeper that way, as instructions say you should

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
My temps are good under intel burn test my cpu is max 65 celsius and when the pc frezzes the gfx is max 50 celsius

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
download Memtest +86 and copy it to a flash drive and boot of it and let it run over night to test your RAM. Might Be ram. http://www.memtest.org/

sinnerhp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
You know, I just had this same issue recently...I fixed it when I noticed that windows update had installed a motherboard graphics adapter, and I also use LogMeIn..which ALSO installed a graphics driver.

Once I uninstalled logmein and disabled the intel graphics everything ran perfectly!
Not saying it'll work for you but just check it out to see if you have anything other than you 680 driver listed in your device manager.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
All important question: Freeze or BSOD? I had twin 8800s SLId in a machine for years, and a year or so ago PSU crapped out. I could boot and run normally, but it would BSOD after 15-20 mins in game...

Regardless of freeze or BSOD, I'd drop in a known good PSU if possible and see if it fixes the problem. Unless you have a PSU tester, then just test it to make sure GPU is getting enough juice. New part does not always mean good part, you could have a lemon that provides juice for basic use but not enough to handle the thing under load.

Just a thought

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
i got corsair ax 750 that is 80 plus gold, and it is freezing where the picture just stops and i can hear fans spinning it is like you pause pause the game. And i can't get out off the game so i need to restart it

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
i will run 5 passes of memory test and see if theres if not, see if it still freezes if not then i will try 2t command and see if that helps

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
i have been running it for 16 hours now and 15 passes and no errors, so it is 100% sure that i got no errors with my ram right?

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Go to Start>Run

Type in DEVMGMT.MSC to open the device manager. Right Click your video card(s) and hit properties. Click the Driver Tab and click "update driver". If driver is already up to date or updating the driver does not work...

Is it one specific game? Have you tried other games to see if it crashes in them too?

If it's one specific game, try other games to see if it causes them to crash too. If not, completely uninstall then reinstall that game. If you've tried other games and it crashes all of them, I'm 99% sure it's your PSU. It takes a little while til the GPU is under full working load, and as your PSU gradually dies over the course of the next few months, it's crash after less and less time in games until you can't even get into them. Try replacing the Power Supply. I know you don't want to, but if the RAM is fine and you tried all the other stuff I said then PSUs the problem, and if it's under 2 weeks old it should be under warranty.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
I'm telling you, try a diff PSU. If everything worked all the time, why would they warranty it?

Futuremark or one of those GPU intensive things will work IF it runs for at least the amount of time that it takes to crash in game. so if it's a GPU intensive benchmark, and it runs for at least the 15 - 20 mins it takes the game to crash, it is a sufficient test.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Also (stupid question I know), are you using the PCIe power connectors? Or are you using some sort of Molex/SATA power connector to PCIe Converter? Lastly are both 6 and 8 pin PCIe connectors plugged in?

fc0712

Honorable
May 21, 2012
they are both plugged in ofc, and i use 6 and 8 pin

i have modular cable so maybe they doesn't sit perfectly in the psu

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Personally I'd buy an older game such as Batman Arkam Asylum (something cheap known for good graphics in it's time) to see if it crashes in all games or just that one specific game.

If it crashes in everything then the only possibilities I can think of are bad PSU or bad GPU. Reason I say change PSUs to see if it fixes it, otherwise you probably have a bum GPU. (Don't shoot the messenger). I hope it's not the GPU cuz you can buy another PSU for cheap, I don't even wanna imagine the RMA process for a GTX 680 at this point in time.