Troubleshooting WinXP long boot time (bootvis done in 592 ..

April 25, 2005 2:12:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My Winxp boot takes 592 seconds (according to MS bootvis.exe).

Do my Microsoft bootvis.exe results (see URL below) show what
is taking inappropriately long for Windows XP to boot up?
<http://img222.echo.cx/img222/4336/traceboot1secondtry1o...;

I'm amazed I can dress my kids for the bus in less time than it
takes my computer boot so I can check their school lunch menu.

Susan Shifton
April 25, 2005 2:40:23 AM

Susan Sifton wrote:

> My Winxp boot takes 592 seconds (according to MS bootvis.exe).
>
> Do my Microsoft bootvis.exe results (see URL below) show what
> is taking inappropriately long for Windows XP to boot up?
> <http://img222.echo.cx/img222/4336/traceboot1secondtry1o...;
>
> I'm amazed I can dress my kids for the bus in less time than it
> takes my computer boot so I can check their school lunch menu.
>
> Susan Shifton

<crossposting snipped>

Do some clean boot troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Start with logically checking your boot up programs, Susan.

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

Check for an option to not having the icon load in the System Tray via the
program(s) in question.

Other options for removal:

Go to Start/Run and type in: msconfig. Go to the Startup Tab and uncheck
accordingly. Then run this script to remove the disabled items from the
registry.

Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup and Selective Startup (Line 148)

Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit

Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Susan Sifton" <shiftonica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Winxp boot takes 592 seconds (according to MS bootvis.exe).
>
> Do my Microsoft bootvis.exe results (see URL below) show what
> is taking inappropriately long for Windows XP to boot up?
> <http://img222.echo.cx/img222/4336/traceboot1secondtry1o...;
>
> I'm amazed I can dress my kids for the bus in less time than it
> takes my computer boot so I can check their school lunch menu.
>
> Susan Shifton

April 25, 2005 6:41:05 AM

Run a diagnostic msconfig if that fails then repair windows. Here is how:

MSCONFIG

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
This explains all details of how to use the utility.

In brief what you will need to do is go to the start menu then go to the run
command box. Once there type “msconfig�. This will bring up the Microsoft
Configuration Utility. Once in it there are two options.

1. If you believe you know what is causing the problem go through to the
services tab. Click on the hide all Microsoft services tab. Then go through
the list and untick what you think is causing you problems. Be careful, but
do not worry. If you untick a vital services MS will automatically retick it
on restart. Next go to the startup tab. Untick everything that you think may
be causing you the problem and then apply your changes, and restart your
computer to see if you are still experiencing the problem.
2. If number one does not work or you do not know what is causing the
problem do the following. In the Microsoft Configuration Utility’s welcome
screen, click diagnostic startup. Restart the computer. Do you have the same
problem? If so then use system restore (located in the start menu’s
accessories tab) to undo the msconfig change. If it has it is now your job to
find what was causing the problem. So to the services tab. Click on the hide
all Microsoft services tab. Then go through the list and retick 5 services
(at a time i.e. between each restart) and find what you think is causing your
problems. Be careful, but do not worry. If you untick a vital services MS
will automatically retick it on restart. Next go to the startup tab. Retick 5
programs (at a time i.e. between each restart) and find what you think is
causing your problems. Then apply your changes, and restart your computer to
see if you are still experiencing the problem.

THE REPAIR CONSOLE

This method will reinstall Windows XP, and delete all drivers and windows
updates, BUT IT WILL NOT DELETE YOUR PROGRAMS OR FILES!

To use it you need to insert your Windows XP CD, and then restart your
computer. Then when the boot screen comes up, click ‘boot from cd’ and once
the XP cd has loaded, select the repair console.

Here are some websites that describe the process
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/ Please not this is very detailed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm this is quite a good
step by step guide which I recommend printing off and looking at while doing
your first repair

Do not worry. Repairs are very easy, but afterwards you will need to
reinstall drivers, and run Windows Update.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Quintin

"Susan Sifton" wrote:

> My Winxp boot takes 592 seconds (according to MS bootvis.exe).
>
> Do my Microsoft bootvis.exe results (see URL below) show what
> is taking inappropriately long for Windows XP to boot up?
> <http://img222.echo.cx/img222/4336/traceboot1secondtry1o...;
>
> I'm amazed I can dress my kids for the bus in less time than it
> takes my computer boot so I can check their school lunch menu.
>
> Susan Shifton

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:29:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

its not really a solution for your problem but i can tell you how to go
around that problem:

go to control panel -> energy options and activate the sleep mode option on
the sleep mode tap (i hope it's the correct expression, i've only got the
german version of winxp).
Now you have to go in sleep mode and the booting won't take so long.

If the option 'sleep mode' doesn't appear when the shutdown panel appears,
hold down the shift key and the stand-by button changes to 'sleep mode'

Chris
April 25, 2005 1:29:13 PM

In news:426c9cde$0$79459$14726298@news.sunsite.dk,
Christian Kirsch <lol@lol.de> had this to say:

> its not really a solution for your problem but i can tell you how to
> go around that problem:
>
> go to control panel -> energy options and activate the sleep mode
> option on the sleep mode tap (i hope it's the correct expression,
> i've only got the german version of winxp).
> Now you have to go in sleep mode and the booting won't take so long.
>
> If the option 'sleep mode' doesn't appear when the shutdown panel
> appears, hold down the shift key and the stand-by button changes to
> 'sleep mode'
> Chris

In English that's "Hibernation" or "Hibernate" just so you know. It's also a
rather nice feature to use. I like it at any rate.

Galen
April 25, 2005 2:45:03 PM

Quintin wrote:
> Run a diagnostic msconfig. When that fails. repair Windows xp.

Susan,
How long has your Windows XP operating system been in use?
If it's been more than about a year, it's time to reformat.

Historically it's been quite normal for Windows boot to grow in time.
So, don't worry. You're not the only one. Everyone has this problem.

Some people go six months before having to wipe out their system.
Others go up to a year in Windows XP before reformatting & beginning
over.

After you try all the good suggestions above, save yourself some time.
Back up to DVD (you do keep data separate from programs right?)

Once you've backed up your data, then reformat & reinstall WinXP.
You'll get about another year out of Windows XP before it corrupts
itself.

One common problem is when you receive a PC from major manufacturers.
Many don't come with Windows XP installation disks.

I have no idea how you get Windows XP replacements from these folks.
But, there must be a way (maybe someone here knows how).

TZ
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:31:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

XP Pro has been running on 3 of my computers since it was first released and
with the exception of one that had a self-inflicted problem and required a
complete reformat and reinstall the other 2 have not given me any problems
that I couldn't correct. I've never heard "If it's been more than about a
year, it's time to reformat" from any of the MVP's here. I'm sure that some
of them will weigh in on this.

David

"tz" <tammyzammataro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Quintin wrote:
>> Run a diagnostic msconfig. When that fails. repair Windows xp.
>
> Susan,
> How long has your Windows XP operating system been in use?
> If it's been more than about a year, it's time to reformat.
>
> Historically it's been quite normal for Windows boot to grow in time.
> So, don't worry. You're not the only one. Everyone has this problem.
>
> Some people go six months before having to wipe out their system.
> Others go up to a year in Windows XP before reformatting & beginning
> over.
>
> After you try all the good suggestions above, save yourself some time.
> Back up to DVD (you do keep data separate from programs right?)
>
> Once you've backed up your data, then reformat & reinstall WinXP.
> You'll get about another year out of Windows XP before it corrupts
> itself.
>
> One common problem is when you receive a PC from major manufacturers.
> Many don't come with Windows XP installation disks.
>
> I have no idea how you get Windows XP replacements from these folks.
> But, there must be a way (maybe someone here knows how).
>
> TZ

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:34:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

TZ, reformatting and reloading Windows every 6 months to a year is a drastic
step. Have you tried keeping current on Windows updates, disk cleanup, disk
defrag, etc? Has anyone else ever heard of reformatting and reinstalling
Windows as routine periodic maintenance?

"tz" wrote:

> Quintin wrote:
> > Run a diagnostic msconfig. When that fails. repair Windows xp.
>
> Susan,
> How long has your Windows XP operating system been in use?
> If it's been more than about a year, it's time to reformat.
>
> Historically it's been quite normal for Windows boot to grow in time.
> So, don't worry. You're not the only one. Everyone has this problem.
>
> Some people go six months before having to wipe out their system.
> Others go up to a year in Windows XP before reformatting & beginning
> over.
>
> After you try all the good suggestions above, save yourself some time.
> Back up to DVD (you do keep data separate from programs right?)
>
> Once you've backed up your data, then reformat & reinstall WinXP.
> You'll get about another year out of Windows XP before it corrupts
> itself.
>
> One common problem is when you receive a PC from major manufacturers.
> Many don't come with Windows XP installation disks.
>
> I have no idea how you get Windows XP replacements from these folks.
> But, there must be a way (maybe someone here knows how).
>
> TZ

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:24:18 AM

Quintin wrote:
> Run a diagnostic msconfig if that fails then repair windows.
> http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

I should have noted, long ago I picked up StartupCop plus other
programs which kill those annoying startup items such as AIM, Yahoo
Messenger, PGP Tray, etc. The Microsoft AntiSpyware program also
manages the startup items. So, I *think* I'm pretty clean in that
arena.

For example, from msconfig, the only startup items appear to be:
1. smc C:\added\virus\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
2. SHSTAT C:\added\virus\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
/STANDALONE
3. dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
4. gcasServ C:\added\virus\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
5. dumprep 0 -u %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
6. TeaTimer C:\added\virus\Spybot\TeaTimer.exe
7. cftmon c:\original\winxp\system32\cftmon.exe

I don't recognize the "dumprep" and CFT loader items.
Do you have any idea what these are doing?
(Are they normal)?

The output from the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 program is a bit
easier to read, e.g., Tools--> Advanced Tools --> System Explorers
reports in the "Startup Programs" output section.

REGISTRY LOCAL MACHINE RUN:
1. Sygate(r) Security Agent c:\added\virus\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
2. VirusScan Enterprise c:\added\virus\Network
Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
3. Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta 1) c:\added\virus\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

REGISTRY CURRENT USER RUN:
4. Spybot - Search & Destroy c:\added\virus\Spybot\TeaTimer.exe
5. Microsoft CTF Loader c:\original\winxp\system32\ctfmon.exe

WINLOGON USERINIT:
6. Microsoft Userinit Logon Application
c:\original\winxp\system32\userinit.exe

WINLOGON SHELL:
7. Microsoft Windows Explorer c:\original\winxp\explorer.exe

This Microsoft program says ALL the startup programs listed are normal
(in that they are not spyware).

Do you think one of these startup programs is causing the problem?
Which of these startup programs would you kill?

Susan
April 26, 2005 5:31:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Susan,

Check your running processes via the Task Manager. Especially when it comes
to MSAS. Depending on the setting(s) you have chosen it often is locked
into place twice. That is not necessary nor the generalized combination
that you feel you have installed as well.

As per #7:

CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office
XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run
the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the
Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.

OFFXP: What Is CTFMON and What Does It Do?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282599

--

> Quintin wrote:
>> Run a diagnostic msconfig if that fails then repair windows.
>> http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
>
> I should have noted, long ago I picked up StartupCop plus other
> programs which kill those annoying startup items such as AIM, Yahoo
> Messenger, PGP Tray, etc. The Microsoft AntiSpyware program also
> manages the startup items. So, I *think* I'm pretty clean in that
> arena.
>
> For example, from msconfig, the only startup items appear to be:
> 1. smc C:\added\virus\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
> 2. SHSTAT C:\added\virus\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
> /STANDALONE
> 3. dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
> 4. gcasServ C:\added\virus\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
> 5. dumprep 0 -u %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
> 6. TeaTimer C:\added\virus\Spybot\TeaTimer.exe
> 7. cftmon c:\original\winxp\system32\cftmon.exe
>
> I don't recognize the "dumprep" and CFT loader items.
> Do you have any idea what these are doing?
> (Are they normal)?
>
> The output from the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 program is a bit
> easier to read, e.g., Tools--> Advanced Tools --> System Explorers
> reports in the "Startup Programs" output section.
>
> REGISTRY LOCAL MACHINE RUN:
> 1. Sygate(r) Security Agent c:\added\virus\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
> 2. VirusScan Enterprise c:\added\virus\Network
> Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
> 3. Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta 1) c:\added\virus\Microsoft
> AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
>
> REGISTRY CURRENT USER RUN:
> 4. Spybot - Search & Destroy c:\added\virus\Spybot\TeaTimer.exe
> 5. Microsoft CTF Loader c:\original\winxp\system32\ctfmon.exe
>
> WINLOGON USERINIT:
> 6. Microsoft Userinit Logon Application
> c:\original\winxp\system32\userinit.exe
>
> WINLOGON SHELL:
> 7. Microsoft Windows Explorer c:\original\winxp\explorer.exe
>
> This Microsoft program says ALL the startup programs listed are normal
> (in that they are not spyware).
>
> Do you think one of these startup programs is causing the problem?
> Which of these startup programs would you kill?
>
> Susan

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:41:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> In English that's "Hibernation" or "Hibernate" just so you know. It's also
> rather nice feature to use. I like it at any rate.

thanks for the little translation ;)  always good to know!

Chris
April 26, 2005 4:00:19 PM

Susan Sifton wrote:
> For example, from msconfig, the startup items appear to be:
> 1. smc C:\added\virus\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
> 2. SHSTAT C:\added\virus\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
> /STANDALONE
> 3. dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
> 4. gcasServ C:\added\virus\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
> 5. dumprep 0 -u %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
> 6. TeaTimer C:\added\virus\Spybot\TeaTimer.exe
> 7. cftmon c:\original\winxp\system32\cftmon.exe

I don't think the dumprep or cftmon processes are normal.
I think you should kill them in the msconfig program.
My Windows XP PC boots just fine so take my startup programs from
msconfig as your basic example of a good working system below.

SHSTAT
"C"\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE

UpdaterUI
"C"\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe"

sgtray
"C"\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
realsched

"C"\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
Acrobat Assistant

C:\Progra~1\Adobe\ACROBA~1.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
Device Detector 2

C:\Progra~1\Olympus\DEVICE~1\DevDtct2.exe
HotSync Manager

C:\Program Files\PALMDE~1\Hotsync.exe
PGPtray

C:\Program Files\Pretty Good Privacy\Pgptray.exe
Hewlett-Packard Recorder

C:\Progra~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\HPOFFI~1\FRU\Remind32.exe
HotSync Manager

C:\Program Files\PALMDE~1\Hotsync.exe
Norton Disk Doctor

C:\Program Files\Norton Disk Utilities\SYSTEM~1\NORTON~4\NDD32.EXE /Q
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:06:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hibernation is also my friend.

I hardly ever turn my computer off. Occassionally I have to restart when I
instal some software but that's about the only time.

One of the problems this creates is the "kitten on the keys" syndrome, which
occurs when the cat jumps on the desk and walks over the keyboard. The PC
doesn't know that the keystroke wasn't intentional, so it dutifully restores
itself from sleep
<VBG>
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

"Christian Kirsch" <lol@lol.de> wrote in message

>> In English that's "Hibernation" or "Hibernate" just so you know. It's
>> also a
>> rather nice feature to use. I like it at any rate.
>
> thanks for the little translation ;)  always good to know!
>
> Chris

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:12:36 PM

> I don't think the dumprep or cftmon processes are normal.
> I think you should kill them in the msconfig program.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You JANAtard.

--

riddick
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"tz" <tammyzammataro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Quintin wrote:
>> Run a diagnostic msconfig.

<blink>

When that fails. repair Windows xp.

<blink, blink>

> Susan,
> How long has your Windows XP operating system been in use?
> If it's been more than about a year, it's time to reformat.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

> Historically it's been quite normal for Windows boot to grow in time.
> So, don't worry. You're not the only one. Everyone has this problem.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

> Some people go six months before having to wipe out their system.
> Others go up to a year in Windows XP before reformatting & beginning
> over.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

> After you try all the good suggestions above, save yourself some time.
> Back up to DVD (you do keep data separate from programs right?)
>
> Once you've backed up your data, then reformat & reinstall WinXP.
> You'll get about another year out of Windows XP before it corrupts
> itself.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:02:09 AM

riddick wrote:
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm not at all sure what all the BWAHAH's are about, but, I'm REALLY
trying to solve a problem here and those ha-ha's don't seem to be
helping much.

In an attempt to turn off the text-to-speech module, I went to the
control panel but there is nothing there called "Text Services and
Speech". There was something called "Speech" which, when
double-clicked, brought up a primitive GUI.

The primitive GUI didn't give any button to turn the thing off!
It has a single tab called "Text to Speech".
It has a "Voice Selection", "Preview Voice", and "Voice Speed" section.
But, there was no button to turn it off.
Even if I right-clicked on the "Speech" applet in the control panel,
there was just "Open" and "Create Shortcut" in the popup menu.

If I just uncheck the "ctfmon" process in msconfig "startup", wouldn't
that work?

Maybe it's this ctfmon.exe which is slowing down my boot so horribly?

Susan
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:37:51 AM

Kelly wrote:
> Check your running processes via the Task Manager.
> Especially when it comes to MSAS.

I don't know what MSAS (Medical Saving Account is what Google came up
with), but I am confused as to what the task manager will tell me about
a slow boot.
Isn't the task manager too late?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:50:04 AM

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o n7dOYiSFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hibernation is also my friend.
>
> I hardly ever turn my computer off. Occassionally I have to restart when I
> instal some software but that's about the only time.
>
> One of the problems this creates is the "kitten on the keys" syndrome,
> which occurs when the cat jumps on the desk and walks over the keyboard.
> The PC doesn't know that the keystroke wasn't intentional, so it dutifully
> restores itself from sleep
> <VBG>

No, the machine is not in stand by mode, its really off. The onlything
different to 'shutdown' is that the memory at the time you hibernate is
written on the harddisk. Then the computer is turned off and wenn you start
it again, it restores the memory from the harddisk and windows and it's
running programs are at the same position than you left.

Chris
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:53:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try something else:

in the windwos directory there is a folder called 'prefetch' with some files
in it. Delete all of them, that might gain some seconds..

Chris
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

WinKey+U, then turn off "Narrator"

Susan Sifton wrote:

> riddick wrote:
>
>>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>

> I'm not at all sure what all the BWAHAH's are about, but, I'm REALLY
> trying to solve a problem here and those ha-ha's don't seem to be
> helping much.
>
> In an attempt to turn off the text-to-speech module, I went to the
> control panel but there is nothing there called "Text Services and
> Speech". There was something called "Speech" which, when
> double-clicked, brought up a primitive GUI.
>
> The primitive GUI didn't give any button to turn the thing off!
> It has a single tab called "Text to Speech".
> It has a "Voice Selection", "Preview Voice", and "Voice Speed" section.
> But, there was no button to turn it off.
> Even if I right-clicked on the "Speech" applet in the control panel,
> there was just "Open" and "Create Shortcut" in the popup menu.
>
> If I just uncheck the "ctfmon" process in msconfig "startup", wouldn't
> that work?
>
> Maybe it's this ctfmon.exe which is slowing down my boot so horribly?
>
> Susan

April 27, 2005 2:16:40 PM

Christian Kirsch wrote:
> Delete all Windows prefetch files, that might gain some seconds..

Woweee. Does deleting hundreds of files like that really work?
It seems dangerous.

Won't Windows just recreate the prefetch files (whatever they are)?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:41:13 PM

tz wrote:
> Woweee. Does deleting hundreds of files like that really work?
> It seems dangerous.
>
> Won't Windows just recreate the prefetch files (whatever they are)?

Use this to clean up your Prefetch:

<- Shenan ->
April 29, 2005 12:26:16 AM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Use this to clean up your Prefetch:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495

Good news (I think)!
My boot time shrank (shrunk?) in half from 592 seconds to 257 seconds!

I tested EVERYTHING requested in the thread above ('cept format).
I wrote a batch script to constantly delete the prefetch files.
I disabled almost all the startup items.
I "optimized" all boot files (using bootvis to defrag boot files).
I used msconfig to uncheck the dumprep & ctfmon commands.
(One problem is msconfig seems to come up with every single boot.)

Is 257 seconds for a windows xp clean boot a reasonable boot time?
See my latest traceboot graph from bootvis.
http://img254.echo.cx/img254/6262/20050428traceboot3xz....

Is 257 seconds reasonable?
Or should I continue to delete stuff & try things?

Susan
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:22:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

MSConfig will display a notification of a change the next time you boot after
a change is made. Just check the box to not show the window again and it
will not be displayed the next time you boot, unless you change something
else in MSConfig.

"Susan Sifton" wrote:

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Use this to clean up your Prefetch:
> > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495
>
> Good news (I think)!
> My boot time shrank (shrunk?) in half from 592 seconds to 257 seconds!
>
> I tested EVERYTHING requested in the thread above ('cept format).
> I wrote a batch script to constantly delete the prefetch files.
> I disabled almost all the startup items.
> I "optimized" all boot files (using bootvis to defrag boot files).
> I used msconfig to uncheck the dumprep & ctfmon commands.
> (One problem is msconfig seems to come up with every single boot.)
>
> Is 257 seconds for a windows xp clean boot a reasonable boot time?
> See my latest traceboot graph from bootvis.
> http://img254.echo.cx/img254/6262/20050428traceboot3xz....
>
> Is 257 seconds reasonable?
> Or should I continue to delete stuff & try things?
>
> Susan

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:08:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:17:30 -0500, "riddick"
>"tz" <tammyzammataro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Quintin wrote:

>> How long has your Windows XP operating system been in use?
>> If it's been more than about a year, it's time to reformat.

Rubbish.

>> Some people go six months before having to wipe out their system.
>> Others go up to a year in Windows XP before reformatting & beginning
>> over.

And then the rest of us can run the same Win95 installation from 1995
until the hardware dies, or the present day.

It's absolute bollocks to suggest that Windows "needs" to be destroyed
and rebuilt at any time, unless something specific has messed things
up. Don't take your inability to effectively set up and maintain
systems as a "new darkness" standard.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
!