Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First Build Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2012 9:31:23 PM

So I have never built a computer before and I have been looking at parts for a while now (3-ish weeks) and have decided to get on the forums for suggestions. My price range is $1000 and lower. I have selected my parts but am wondering if there are any sugestions for me. Thanks in advance!

Approx Purhase Date: Sometime This August or Early September

Budget: $1000 after rebates, before shipping

System Usage (most to least important): Gaming (High settings for most games [rpg and fps moslty]), Microsoft Office, Normal Web surfing/pc usage, and very little use of autodesk

Monitor: Sure, suggestions please, but not included in the budget

OS: Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, NOT included in budget

Preferred websites: Newegg, but anything reliable and reasonably priced

Overclocking: Yes, if the processor supports it like an intel unlocked cpu

SLI/Crossfire: Not now, but maybe in the future if it makes enough of a difference

Monitor resolution: Dont have one yet, but probably a 24-30 inch

Additional Comments: Want: unlocked cpu, windowed case (there is a seperate one for the case below), modular psu, reliable long lasting parts. LEDs are a plus definitely but not needed, and i would LOVE a quiet PC

Parts Selected So Far: Please leave suggestions for these and tell me if they are good choices or not, thanks!

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive am concerned about some of the recent reviews...

Boot Drive: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAD3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Heatsink Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Video Card : MUCH SUGGESTION NEEDED GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard: MUCH SUGGESTION NEEDED GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Any recommendations are also welcomed, such as a wireless card or a sound card although these are not necessary and therefore not included in the budget. I would also appreciate opinions on internal card readers, such as this http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RCR-AK-IM5002-USB2-0-int... , and if they are really needed. Thanks in advance for any response I get!!

More about : build suggestions

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2012 11:52:27 PM

your build list costs about $1100

mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 - $175
cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K - $230
gpu:XFX FX-785A-CNFC Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB - $240
ram: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB PC3-12800 - $55
case:Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower - $70
psu:CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) - $170
hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB - $100
odd:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - $20

my list:
$1060 - you also get a black themed build with the above.

minor changes if any:
could go with a 7870 black edition for 320 bucks
and higher spec'd ram for about a lil more.

* no point getting such a small SSD for your machine. You'll notice that the OS will take up the bulk of its space+updates and autodesk will also pitch in. SSD's don't fare well...save cash+wait till prices, tech and capacity become better.

this rig will set you up for an upgrade 3~4 yrs from now.

my 2 cents
hope this helps :) 
July 30, 2012 2:51:59 AM

Lutfij said:
your build list costs about $1100

mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 - $175
cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K - $230
gpu:XFX FX-785A-CNFC Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB - $240
ram: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB PC3-12800 - $55
case:Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower - $70
psu:CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) - $170
hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB - $100
odd:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - $20

my list:
$1060 - you also get a black themed build with the above.

minor changes if any:
could go with a 7870 black edition for 320 bucks
and higher spec'd ram for about a lil more.

* no point getting such a small SSD for your machine. You'll notice that the OS will take up the bulk of its space+updates and autodesk will also pitch in. SSD's don't fare well with SSD's...save cash, wait till prices tech and capacity become better.

this rig will set you up for an upgrade 3~4 yrs from now.

my 2 cents
hope this helps :) 

Well thx for the feedback, but some of your choices wouldnt help me or dont fit my needs. First of all, I do want a boot drive for windows 7 and microsoft office, totalling about 30gb. i am not goin to put games or anything on it. I like the case i have for that price, and i would rather have an nVidia than amd gpu. You didnt recommend a hsf, do i assume you agree with my choice. The psu u recommended is a little expensive for me. Also, the RAM you picked is 10 dollars more and seems worse based on reviews and specs. Also, how much of a difference will I see with the 3570k instead of the 2500k, because most reviews and stuff say the 2500k is the best for gaming and buget builds and overclocking. I think i forgot to mention this, but i would prefer a z68 or even a p67 chipset.

Thanks for your input and quick response

EDIT: After some quick research, the 3570k and the 2500k look similar (5% performance margin) and the 2500k has more room for OC...so im gonna stick with the 2500k on this one...its cheaper as well! Also, the radeon hd 7850 looks like the better performance IS worth the extra money...so thanks for that
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2012 7:57:23 AM

HSF: its okay - just stay away for the corsair H series of coolers.
so you're trading in newer tech for old?

I understand the old cpu route but going for a prev gen chipset will defeat any purpose of upgrade later on down the road.

mushkins aren't bad at all. I have them and they overclock fine on my rig.

if you want to understand why i picked a pricey PSU , then please check out the link in my sig. It'll fill you in on the details of picking a quality psu that isn't hard on your wallet when you run your rig.

SSD's can wait, but then again - I just gave you feedback - your choice entirely which route to go.

:) 
Score
August 1, 2012 4:57:10 AM

Lutfij said:
HSF: its okay - just stay away for the corsair H series of coolers.
so you're trading in newer tech for old?

I understand the old cpu route but going for a prev gen chipset will defeat any purpose of upgrade later on down the road.

mushkins aren't bad at all. I have them and they overclock fine on my rig.

if you want to understand why i picked a pricey PSU , then please check out the link in my sig. It'll fill you in on the details of picking a quality psu that isn't hard on your wallet when you run your rig.

SSD's can wait, but then again - I just gave you feedback - your choice entirely which route to go.

:) 

Thanks for the help. Anyway, what disadvantages does the 2500k have? And what chipset do you recommend and why? Also, how would the older chipset be a bottleneck to upgrading and do you see any bottlenecking anywhere else? Any other tips are welcome as I am a first timer!
Score
August 6, 2012 8:15:54 PM

Best answer selected by antrom1818.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 8:32:03 PM

well, thanks for the BA vote, I hope you've moved ahead with your build?
Score
August 6, 2012 8:35:18 PM

Lutfij said:
well, thanks for the BA vote, I hope you've moved ahead with your build?

Haha ya well you are the only answer so i thought why not! But yes i have, im purchasing tomorrow however still trying to figure out my cpu cooler...it may be too big and i started a new thread on it today. Thanks for wondering! You can check my latest thread about the CPU cooler for a link to the parts I have selected as of now and I guess give any last minute feedback if you feel like it! Thanks for your help!
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 8:38:41 PM

Oh I didn't include a cpu cooler on it huh? crap
get a CM hyper 212 evo...provided you went with the above suggestion :) 
Score
August 6, 2012 8:40:22 PM

Lutfij said:
Oh I didn't include a cpu cooler on it huh? crap
get a CM hyper 212 evo...provided you went with the above suggestion :) 

Ya i saw that one...but for around that price I can get a CM X6 Elite, and it provides better airflow in my situation and looks much nicer. However, it is incredibly large, and i am just wondering if it will fit on my build, considering my case, motherboard, and ram... just check my new thread for a list of currently selected parts and also to respond to my question: Will It Fit??

Thanks again
Score
August 6, 2012 8:51:09 PM

Lutfij said:
um new thread?
and have you read any reviews on that x6?
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/cooler-master-x6-elite-cp...

Oh wow im gonna have to look into that more....newegg reviews said good things except for the size was a problem for some people... I thought with the angle this would be optimal for airflow, or maybe thats just my logic. Hmmmm....

And ya, new thread, or maybe im calling it something wrong, this is my first time on a forum as well lol...but ya i posted about the CPU cooler in a post called Will It Fit?? in the heatsink and fan section of the forums...pls check it out

THX
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 8:54:33 PM

what is it with newegg reviews? if newegg says the world will loook brown tomorrow, then that isn't highly possible mate ...:/ or is it?

reviews by professional reviewers. And for that price, the Hyper is still better buy provided you actually read up reviews outside of newegg and on skilled reviewers sites.

link the thread to me, and I don't know what case you're working with.
Score
August 6, 2012 9:04:19 PM

Lutfij said:
what is it with newegg reviews? if newegg says the world will loook brown tomorrow, then that isn't highly possible mate ...:/ or is it?

reviews by professional reviewers. And for that price, the Hyper is still better buy provided you actually read up reviews outside of newegg and on skilled reviewers sites.

Well...the review you linked to had no problems other than the size and a few degrees warmer than some higher end coolers such as the NZXT Havik 140, the Gemin II, and the Thermaltake Frio OCK...

The point is that it cools the cpu very well, pushes the hot air TOWARDS the exhausts instead of just toward one exhaust, and looks like a beast while doing it...The Evo is considerable as I havent picked out a final choice, but so are many others...Like I said I havent chosen for sure yet.

Also, I never said that Newegg has the best reviewers and that they are always right, Im just saying that NONE had any problems other than size. Also, I HAVE checked other reviews! They all say its good except the one you linked to!

Any other suggestions???
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 9:10:17 PM

are you buying the case I suggested ? or are you going to lay the components on a table :)  ? thats how I'll know my restrictions for a tower cooler.

People posting reviews on newegg are end users and won't push a cooler to its maximum potential. A reviewer will weigh both sides properly and also push clocks to their limits on respective parts/coolers. Not dissing anybody, thought you should know where my info comes from.
Score
August 6, 2012 9:16:38 PM

Lutfij said:
are you buying the case I suggested ? or are you going to lay the components on a table :)  ? thats how I'll know my restrictions for a tower cooler.

As I have previously stated - twice, I believe - check my new post for updated part list. I am going with the NZXT Switch 810

The problem wont be the case, its the memory.... G.SKILL ripjaws X might be too tall and THAT is the proposed problem...the case will be plenty big

Do you have any suggestions for fans other than the Evo? What do you use and how does it work?

I also DO plan to lay the components on a table.....BEFORE I BUILD THE PC!!!!
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 9:57:23 PM

1|
Quote:
As I have previously stated - twice, I believe - check my new post for updated part list. I am going with the NZXT Switch 810
you mentioned the NZXT Switch 810 for the 1st time and you haven't posted the link to your thread.
2|
Quote:
What do you use
I use this

3| do these answer you clearance question?

more here
4| might want to show some gratitude mate - you seem to be missing all the questions I asked, except for the last round - and that too, you seem pissed at someone else...[:lutfij:2]
Score
August 6, 2012 10:03:00 PM

Lutfij said:
1| you mentioned the NZXT Switch 810 for the 1st time.
2|
Quote:
What do you use
I use thishttp://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac288/Lutfij/Rig%201/IMG_0147.jpg
3| do these answer you clearance question?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/cms/include/image.php?src=/images/coolers/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo/24_cmh212e_cronmb_big.jpg&width=350&height=210&cache=1&quality=100&aspect=0&format=jpg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/cms/include/image.php?src=/images/coolers/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo/25_cmh212e_in_big.jpg&width=350&height=297&cache=1&quality=100&aspect=0&format=jpg

more here
4| might want to show some gratitude mate - you seem to be missing all the questions I asked, except for the last round - and that too, you seem pissed at someone else...[:lutfij:2]

sorry man im just unhappy that you said the evo so many times and still refuse to look at my other post to see my system specs! That is where i listed the case! and i told u to go to that twice already...not that im using the switch 810 twice

anyway...what liquid cooler r u using? im looking into them as a future upgrade...is that a corsair h80? I thouhgt you said to stay away from corsair h series?!

also, the clearance pictures were of the evo, not the x6 elite. I already know the evo will fit, just wondring about the RAM

sorry if i sounded pissed
Score
August 6, 2012 10:14:56 PM

Would the Cooler Master V6 GT Be good? It wouldnt block anything, gets good reviews (only common negative is "has to be connected to MOLEX for the LEDs" , and would look great with the red LEDs............good choice?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 10:55:06 PM

yeah it is good, however, this boils down to what you're really looking for. Everybody around tom's suggest the Hyper 212+ since its the best bang for buck cooler available to date(bang for buck being the cost/overclock and performance ratio achieved-performed by non other than our very own Tom's hardware)

I'd suggest getting a Noctua NH D14, Megahelms Dark shadow, Xigmatek stealth, or a corsair H series but they are all seen to be gunned down by the coolermaster Hyper 212's revised vers cooler for far less the amount. I'd have a pair of corsair SP120's stuck on one of those Evo's and call it a rounded $60 price tag for a push/pull setup.

could always get aftermarket LED coolers for your cooler later on...
Score
August 7, 2012 3:23:58 AM

Lutfij said:
yeah it is good, however, this boils down to what you're really looking for. Everybody around tom's suggest the Hyper 212+ since its the best bang for buck cooler available to date(bang for buck being the cost/overclock and performance ratio achieved-performed by non other than our very own Tom's hardware)

I'd suggest getting a Noctua NH D14, Megahelms Dark shadow, Xigmatek stealth, or a corsair H series but they are all seen to be gunned down by the coolermaster Hyper 212's revised vers cooler for far less the amount. I'd have a pair of corsair SP120's stuck on one of those Evo's and call it a rounded $60 price tag for a push/pull setup.

could always get aftermarket LED coolers for your cooler later on...

Thanks for the different suggestions. I see that everyone suggests the Hyper 212+, but its performance (while an awesome deal and still would keep it cool) is inadequate if I choose to upgrade the CPU somewhere down the line. IDK. But I guess its just too mainstream haha!

Anyway, the V6GT would look AMAZING in my build and the reviews are good and even you agree with it! I think I have a winner!!!

Thanks for all of your help!
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2012 4:08:10 AM

Quote:
is inadequate if I choose to upgrade the CPU somewhere down the line. IDK. But I guess its just too mainstream haha!
its not inadequate, mate, but if you have proof for that claim...I'm all ears.

its not about me agreeing. It seems you were looking for another person who'd say the same thing you wanted to hear.

apart from that fancy light in the middle you'll later figure out what you're buying after you use it :) 
Score
August 7, 2012 5:25:59 AM

Lutfij said:
Quote:
is inadequate if I choose to upgrade the CPU somewhere down the line. IDK. But I guess its just too mainstream haha!
its not inadequate, mate, but if you have proof for that claim...I'm all ears.

its not about me agreeing. It seems you were looking for another person who'd say the same thing you wanted to hear.

apart from that fancy light in the middle you'll later figure out what you're buying after you use it :) 

uhhhh pay attention to what I say! for an UPGRADE (eg 4-5 years later) when the 212 plus is inadequate...NOT NOW!!!!

what do you mean by I will find out what i am buying? The reviews say only good things about it and its just an extra bonus that it looks cool
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2012 10:38:49 AM

unless you're going to move on from a 1155 socket to a 2011 socket which'll both alst for more than 2~3 years, that cooler is still compatible.

Your wish what you want to do. I'm just here to steer you the right direction, not drive you to school.
Score
August 7, 2012 12:53:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!