Sign in with
Your question

Why do alienware "gaming" computers use weak video cards?

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2012 9:44:03 PM

Obviously alienware computers are overpriced and inferior to a custom built pc, but why do they like so many other prebuilt "gaming" manufacturers always pair an overpowered cpu with such horribly underpowered GPU's? For example I was just checking out alienware's site and the default configuration for a $1500 PC has an i7 3820 and a GTX 555 1GB.

Really? A socket 2011 chip with a video card that is probably worth under $100 (I had never even heard of a GTX 555)? Why wouldn't they choose a core i5 and a better video card like the Radeon 7870 that would play games much much better for the same price?

And the "upgrade" prices are even more laughable. In order to add a second GTX 555 in SLI its +$250 extra. It costs $150 for them to overclock the i7 3820 from 4.1 to 4.2GHz (the 4.1 OC is included in original price). I didn't know changing one setting in the BIOS was $150 worth of labor, haha! And to go from a 3820 to a 3930k at the same clock speed is $650! What the hell!!! The price difference between these two chips on newegg is only $270!

How can they expect anyone to be dumb enough to pay these prices?

July 29, 2012 10:00:19 PM

ehanger said:

well Apple is pretty successful... they saw that and thought "hey, let's do it too!" then they went buying cheap parts from china, paid chinese child workers at 1$ a month and then, like all professional business men do, add a 100% increase in price over the production cost so they make a profit.

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/
I always wonder what retarded monkey falls for pompous words like "retina display" or "magic mouse" and all they get is shitty outdated technology with a big price tag
just look at that... magic mouse? ahahahahahahahaha It's like I'm watching some kind of parody... it's like idiocracy!
plants need electrolytes, they don't need water! water's from the toilet right? *** that, electrolytes are best for everyone!
what's an electrolyte?
^
pretty much sums up the average apple customer
m
l
July 29, 2012 10:15:23 PM

I'm pretty sure most of Apple's success is due to their marketing dpmt, not their engineers.
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2012 11:30:40 PM

The term for that is "bottlenecking" a computer.
m
l
July 29, 2012 11:46:52 PM

ehanger said:
Obviously alienware computers are overpriced and inferior to a custom built pc, but why do they like so many other prebuilt "gaming" manufacturers always pair an overpowered cpu with such horribly underpowered GPU's? For example I was just checking out alienware's site and the default configuration for a $1500 PC has an i7 3820 and a GTX 555 1GB.

Really? A socket 2011 chip with a video card that is probably worth under $100 (I had never even heard of a GTX 555)? Why wouldn't they choose a core i5 and a better video card like the Radeon 7870 that would play games much much better for the same price?

And the "upgrade" prices are even more laughable. In order to add a second GTX 555 in SLI its +$250 extra. It costs $150 for them to overclock the i7 3820 from 4.1 to 4.2GHz (the 4.1 OC is included in original price). I didn't know changing one setting in the BIOS was $150 worth of labor, haha! And to go from a 3820 to a 3930k at the same clock speed is $650! What the hell!!! The price difference between these two chips on newegg is only $270!

1. To rip more money off you.

2. Reason number 1.

Every retailer that sell "gaming" computers is the same. Take a look at Cyberpower. They pair a i7-3820 with a GT 520.
m
l
July 29, 2012 11:52:14 PM

Well some people ARE indeed stupid enough to fall for all the ridiculous prices. I would say that they choose expensive cpu's over high end gpu's because the 2011 cpu's have things like 6 core, Enthusiast, Extreme, and so on which appeal to uneducated people. But most people would probably not even know what the difference is between a 550ti and a 590. It just frustrates me how people could educate themselves for less than an hour and make MUCH better decisions on what to buy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 11:53:34 PM

And yet people keep buying em up. They do it cause they can, the average "gamer" has no idea whats in his rig. Thats why you see people saying how hardcore they are gaming wise and want to know if the 520 GT is a good upgrade for their "hardcore gaming PC".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 11:54:20 PM

its all for people who dont know allot about computers.

they see ohh wow a 3.4ghz CPU 8gb RAM and a 1gb or 2gb graphics card, that must be awesome.

but as we all know there can be a VERY LARGE diff between a basic 1gb graphics card and a top end 1gb graphics card. not only in price but performance also.
m
l
July 30, 2012 12:01:25 AM

In the "hardcore" gamer's eyes:
GT 520 upgrade to 2GB $100
GTX 670 1GB upgrade $400

OMG IM TOTALLY GETTING THE GT 520!!!!111 SO MUCH BETTER AND U SAVE $300!!!111
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 12:16:30 AM

Because people love to feel good/special about themselves, even moreso if its shiny and pricy. LOOK AT ME!!!!
m
l
July 30, 2012 1:08:29 AM

With alienware, you pay for the fancy case and brand name. They are pretty much the macs of the windows world. Have to admit, alienfx look awesome even if their cases have no airflow. The hexacore processor because I guess most (not tech savvy) people think the processor is the most important thing for gaming. Also they don't include an option for a gtx 670 and make you pay the full retail price of a 680 to upgrade from a 555. In the end, you are paying for super elite sniper gamer-type advertising, not the actual computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 1:27:47 AM

If fancy packaging and names with flashy terminology will sell inferior products for great profit margin, spoils go to the vendor.Like it has been said - 1 hour research would go a long way in helping people buy a "wise choice" computer.
-Bruce
m
l
July 30, 2012 5:38:12 PM

I actually thought of this. I should buy cheap parts and advertise them on some forums then add a 50%+ price on them so I make a hefty profit. Wouldn't be too hard would it? I'd just need a few 1000s dollars to start a small business.
m
l
July 30, 2012 5:46:08 PM

Typical Cyberpower build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dqeq

WOAH SO EXTREME!!!111 ULTRA ORGASM PROCESSOR!!!111

One other thing, most vendors put unnecessary LEDs on their "gaming" computers to make them look flashy. Another form of marketing.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2012 9:30:52 PM

Lol define a necessary LED :D 

EDIT: I know that's not what you meant, ignore me I'm kidding around haha

Seriously though this kind of marketing really annoys me, means places like Ebay are flooded with crap. I tried looking for auction bargains and making a gaming PC to sell on there, came up with a great i5 build for a really low price, like £200 less than it would be to buy new. Still ended up losing loads of money because it didn't have 8 cores and a 2GB GT 520 with 32GB RAM :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 10:37:04 PM

LED's have their place. My red 250mm fan certainly gives the HAF case a good grimy look. Not all over the top, though.
m
l
May 24, 2014 5:02:28 PM

Necessary LED: The backlight on your monitor. :) 
also: HDD activity indicator
That hidden mobo light that indicates if it's on or off.

I built the best gaming build ever seen for $1000!
2 GB or GDDR5
8 GB of Ram!
a full 1 TB of HDD to store all your games!
Intel i7-4770 for Extreme performance!
Super high quality PSU by EVGA!
Lets you read all the latest DVDs and now you can Write DVDs!
Comes with the proven Windows 7 Professional that does not have the dreaded Metro UI and lets you get straight to gaming!
Get all your parts here!
All the for only $1000 this is a steal of a deal!
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Weak1ings/saved/4N9C

:p 
m
l
!