CPU or GPU bottleneck?

Split151

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm trying to choose a CPU + GPU combo for my build. What I'm trying to find out is what component (CPU, GPU, other) that will help...

View High Res Photos, Large PDF documents, Large PDF graphics. Scroll fast and display quickly.

Now, I do have a SSD, so data access is not a problem. I'm looking at an Ivy bridge i3 vs i5 and gtx 650 ti vs 660.

What do you think? Am I chasing the wrong tail here?

Thanks!

Solution
View High Res Photos, Large PDF documents, Large PDF graphics. Scroll fast and display quickly.
- Some of these tasks are not well multithreaded, so you may see a high clocked Core i3 outperform a Core i5 of similar clock speed.
- I'd get a CPU that is clocked high and has a large L2/L3 cache.
- Turning a JPEG into a bitmap and rendering it is a CPU heavy task, unless you are using special software that offloads it to your graphics card.

The difference between those two GPU's for Adobe/Office work will not be noticeable to most people.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
- Some of these tasks are not well multithreaded, so you may see a high clocked Core i3 outperform a Core i5 of similar clock speed.
- I'd get a CPU that is clocked high and has a large L2/L3 cache.
- Turning a JPEG into a bitmap and rendering it is a CPU heavy task, unless you are using special software that offloads it to your graphics card.

The difference between those two GPU's for Adobe/Office work will not be noticeable to most people.

Solution

Split151

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. So it's a CPU task... I think I'll go for the i5 then. This way with the 3570K I can over clock it for more clock speed. I am also getting the 650 ti for some gaming as well.