smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
My Antec 300 Case is terribly loud which I think may be caused by the fans. When I put pressure on the top of my case and sides the noise is greatly reduced but when I don't put pressure I could hear the vibrations from a room 1 door over. I tried putting rubber washers on the harddrive screws but they don't seem to help much.

Some recommendations on what to do would be appreciated.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Your case is likely being vibrated by the case fans. If you have rubber grommets like these:

http://home.comcast.net/~TVV0/Fanholders.jpg

You should use them. And set the case fan speeds so that they dynamically ramp up and down with temperature, usually this can be done easily in the BIOS.

2ndly, the thinner the case panels are, the more prone they are to vibrations. This can be solved by using a dampening panel for quieting PC cases.

Lastly, look for any parts inside the case that might be inadvertently touching or rubbing against each other.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Can you try rubber washers on the fan screws - I take it the ones already there are not very effective?
If needed, you could easily replace the existing fans with much quieter ones.

Have you cleaned the case recently - is there any build up of dust/fluff? Clean the motherboard and components also!

Is it the case fans and/or gfx or cpu fans?

smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012

Wheres a good place to buy this type of stuff?

I had a similar problem with my antec 300, it wasn't caused by the fan really rattling, it was more caused by it vibrating the entire top of the case. I have a bunch of reasonably weighted stress balls that i toss around while im at my computer, i just put a couple of them up top and they had enough mass to keep it from vibrating. My solution while not a fix solved the problem for me, and something changed over the last couple years where it no longer needs something up top to keep it from vibrating.

smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012

i put some heavy books on top of mine and it halves the sound but it is still pretty loud

I don't think you have your side panels fully secured. My guess is that you routed cables behind your motherboard tray and that they may be pushing out on your case side panels.

I had the same problem. Push in on the sides or the top the sound drops immediately.

The solution in my case:
I took the panels off and re-inserted them pressing in as slid them in and made sure the thumb screws were secure. After that the vibrating sounds never came back. They were loud too when they were occurring. I have been good for 6 months now with no re-occurrences.