desktop tab missing?

I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one tell me
how to get it back?
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop missing

    "nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com...
    >I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one
    >tell me
    > how to get it back?

    First scan your system of any malware.

    Then edit the registry, to do this, go Start>Run and type

    regedit

    then navigate to the following keys:

    HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
    value to 0.

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\{B1D8F66C-267F-4279-AD23-D6CA9B01B}-User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

    --
    William

    I looked for the keys you suggested but they do not exist in my system, do I
    need to add them? and if so how?

    message news:08ED503B-6B8A-4C5B-B0C5-B56A7BC83236@microsoft.com...

    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com...
    >> >I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one
    >> >tell me
    >> > how to get it back?
    >>

    >> First scan your system of any malware.
    >>
    >> Then edit the registry, to do this, go Start>Run and type
    >>
    >> regedit
    >>
    >> then navigate to the following keys:
    >>
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
    >> value to 0.
    >>
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    >> Objects\{B1D8F66C-267F-4279-AD23-D6CA9B01B}-User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
    >> value to 0.
    >>

    >I looked for the keys you suggested but they do not exist in my system,
    >do I
    > need to add them? and if so how?

    Check this key:
    HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
    value to 0.

    --
    William

    Nice and easy way to get it back, download and run the following edit:

    Restore desktop and screensaver tabs (line 128, right column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one tell me
    > how to get it back?

    Read the instructions at the top
    285. Right hand side
    Restore All Display Tabs

    Missing Tabs in Display Properties and No OpenGL Support After You Upgrade
    to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283751/

    Desktop Tab Missing from Display Properties
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_display.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com,
    nightcrawler766 <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one tell
    > me how to get it back?

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP