  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
April 26, 2005 4:02:02 AM

I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one tell me
how to get it back?

More about : desktop tab missing

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:10:10 AM

"nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com...
>I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one
>tell me
> how to get it back?

First scan your system of any malware.

Then edit the registry, to do this, go Start>Run and type

regedit

then navigate to the following keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
value to 0.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
Objects\{B1D8F66C-267F-4279-AD23-D6CA9B01B}-User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

--
William
Anonymous

I looked for the keys you suggested but they do not exist in my system, do I
need to add them? and if so how?

"WTC" wrote:

> "nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com...
> >I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one
> >tell me
> > how to get it back?
>

> First scan your system of any malware.
>
> Then edit the registry, to do this, go Start>Run and type
>
> regedit
>
> then navigate to the following keys:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
> value to 0.
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
> Objects\{B1D8F66C-267F-4279-AD23-D6CA9B01B}-User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
> value to 0.
>
> --
> William

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:39:53 AM

"nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08ED503B-6B8A-4C5B-B0C5-B56A7BC83236@microsoft.com...

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:45371790-DBAF-4F47-957A-C2343DEF8CBC@microsoft.com...
>> >I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one
>> >tell me
>> > how to get it back?
>>

>> First scan your system of any malware.
>>
>> Then edit the registry, to do this, go Start>Run and type
>>
>> regedit
>>
>> then navigate to the following keys:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
>> value to 0.
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
>> Objects\{B1D8F66C-267F-4279-AD23-D6CA9B01B}-User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
>> value to 0.
>>

>I looked for the keys you suggested but they do not exist in my system,
>do I
> need to add them? and if so how?

Check this key:
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, locate "NoDispBackgroundPage" and change the
value to 0.

--
William
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:26:23 PM

Nice and easy way to get it back, download and run the following edit:

Restore desktop and screensaver tabs (line 128, right column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"nightcrawler766" <nightcrawler766@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I lost the desktop tab in my desktop properties window, can any one tell me
> how to get it back?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:27:00 AM

Read the instructions at the top
285. Right hand side
Restore All Display Tabs

Missing Tabs in Display Properties and No OpenGL Support After You Upgrade
to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283751/

Desktop Tab Missing from Display Properties
http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_di...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes