Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What cpu will go well with this Graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 9:49:14 PM

Hi

I am working on the details of buying a new computer and assembling the parts myself..

This thread is about the above, specifically about the cpu and graphics card aspect of it.

Was thinking of llanu but I want other options too.
(darn trinity won't be out till months?! don't want to wait.. but as long as they do it well I don't mind.,but I want new computer long before then)

Just so you know, I have a old hand me down computer with 250mb motherboard graphics chips. I play Oblivion on 480 windowed with least graphics available. It studders every few seconds..

Here is my comp:
Spoiler
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3006 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 13097 MB, Free - 2706 MB; D: Total - 73370 MB, Free - 41300 MB; I: Total - 80000 MB, Free - 67258 MB; J: Total - 71997 MB, Free - 45748 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NAGAMI2, 2.00, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

btw I don't have a install disc for any OP

I just found what looks like a very good card for it's price: XFX HD-677X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-...

also this card is similar and I can't tell the difference other than it has more reviews (and some are bad) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-...

anywho

What does anywone think about $150 or lower cpu (I don't mind phenom) that would go well with this card?
I mean, it would not bottle-neck the card, and the cpu would not be so good as to out pace and be bottle-necked by the card. It would go well with it and not "might as well upgrade for 50 more dollars" I want to save money. Not be goaded into buying more lol uwah (goad me all you like though!)

Any hints knowledge or references etc?

p.s. I thought the spoiler would be a "press button to hide" and save space function, but apparently it's not on this board.

More about : cpu graphics card

a c 92 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 9:56:00 PM

you are probably stuck with your cpu as it doesn't support any of the new phenoms or athlons.

you might be able to buy something second hand but make sure it works with your motherboard.

you should also check your powersupply if it can support the new gpu you are buying.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 10:21:29 PM

I don't know power supplies for it. I don't think I CAN know unless I unscrew the darn case a lot.

What cpu would you recommend to go with one of those cards?

^regardless of my comp, im making a new one maybe. The comp info was just for reference on what I an upgrading from in making a new build... I guess I didn't do this thread right.. :/  oh well Might have been better placed in cpu, but I had a graphics card as a reference so I put it here..
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 10:24:38 PM

In my new build I have a AMD Phenom II x4 @3.4ghz and its amazing. I would recommend that for a AMD CPU. I don't have a huge interest in Intels CPUS
Score

Best solution

a c 92 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 10:49:39 PM

the intel i3 or the phenom II x4s are pretty good cpus if you do a new build with your graphics card.

If you are strapped for money, the pentiums and celerons as well as the athlon x3s are pretty good budget cpus as well. Basically any modern dual core or higher should be a large jump for you in terms of cpu.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 12:09:26 AM

I didn't think about celerons or athlon x3..

Ok I just found a equivalent graphics card, before I go further into the build which does anyone think whould be better?

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-...

or

XFX HD-677X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-121-... (cheaper at tiger direct lol~) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Nivida or Amd? How do I tell if one is better (they have different specs). Which one would anyone recommend?

The amd one looks newer I think. (2.1) And it has only 4-5 egg reviews. (albeit only 50 some reviews though)..

The nivida one has vga output, which I have on my monitor and is a good backup. And the cooler is said to be good and quiet..

I'm sure there is more to compare :? What does anyone here think?

Should I put this post in a separate thread?
Score
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:52:09 PM

Best answer selected by NoUserBar.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 8:32:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!