Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Review my build before I order!

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 30, 2012 2:52:20 AM

PROJECTED BUILD: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d0DW

This is a build I have put together with the help of several members throughout the community. I built this with about an $800 budget in mind. The primary purpose of this computer will compose of a few things: it needs to be handle moderate to heavy multitasking (many chrome tabs including 10-20, adobe software open like photoshop, microsoft office applications, and possible a video game), pretty good for adobe software including primarily Photoshop and After Effects, effortless browsing and surfing, homework purpose, and a decent gamer. That pretty much describes my scenario pretty good. The only thing I stress to all: this computer was made to be fantastic at multitasking, then pretty good for adobe software, and then at the end only a decent gamer. Games aren't too important to me.


I plan to buy some/all parts tomorrow or Tuesday so I can take care of the rebates/promotions. I need someone to review the below:

1. What are your overall thoughts of the build?

2. I'm considering replacing the Motherboard with one of the below: Comparison of four alternative motherboards. (please confirm all/some of these meet compatibility with base listed on top, I just need someone to say best. Price is a big factor, though if it isn't on sale, should I wait 'til August?)

3. The Hard Drive Scenario is a bit bizarre. I got recommended to include two Hard Drives, one's purpose is to be a scratch drive. Ideally I was thinking 250gb and 750 gb for them, however, prices seem to show 500gb's are a better deal. What should I do here? Buy now? Or wait 'til later?

4. If everyone likes the video card, here are the parts I plan on buying this month: The video card, the memory, the monitor, the CPU.


Thanks for all the help!

More about : review build order

July 30, 2012 8:51:36 PM

Looks pretty good to me, It will play most games on high/med settings well
Related resources
July 31, 2012 3:50:46 PM

alright. The only thing I am debating is the motherboard. Help?
July 31, 2012 5:23:53 PM

Quote:
2. I'm considering replacing the Motherboard with one of the below: Comparison of four alternative motherboards. (please confirm all/some of these meet compatibility with base listed on top, I just need someone to say best. Price is a big factor, though if it isn't on sale, should I wait 'til August?)


I don't think I'd go with any of those. I really dislike B75, and Z75 is OK but you don't get access to the multiplier, although that might not be much of a concern. I think I'd get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
3. The Hard Drive Scenario is a bit bizarre. I got recommended to include two Hard Drives, one's purpose is to be a scratch drive. Ideally I was thinking 250gb and 750 gb for them, however, prices seem to show 500gb's are a better deal. What should I do here? Buy now? Or wait 'til later?


I don't think that's a very wise choice on that tight of a budget. You can always get one now and then get an SSD later on to use as your boot drive, that would make more sense than two mechanical HDs.

Quote:
4. If everyone likes the video card, here are the parts I plan on buying this month: The video card, the memory, the monitor, the CPU.


It's better to get everything at once than to spread it out over a period of time. That way if something doesn't work it's easier to return it. That 1.65V RAM won't work with a Sandy / Ivy Bridge setup - you'll need 1.5V.

I'd try a build like this for $850:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.86 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($258.15 @ Mwave)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($112.99 @ eCost)
Total: $870.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-31 13:23 EDT-0400)
!