Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whats my next step/weak spot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2012 10:40:08 PM

Hey folks,
Ive taken so much great knowledge from these forums i know this is the best place to ask a question.
Im a gaming enthusiast and recently moved to pc platform. I dropped all the xbox nonsense and am ready to really indulge in what games are meant to look like. and how they are played.
Im looking to find out what the weak spot is in my computer for gaming. And also what my best route to take is as far as buying new parts.
My latest purchase was a EVGA Gtx 560 Ti. Im considering SLI in the near future. But... I know that it isnt the time yet. So here is my setup so far. Please help me out with some ideas/ routes to go.
Processor- Intel i7 920 running slightly OC using BIOS software
GPU- GTX 560 Ti running 920 core and 2050 Mem speed
Mem- Unknown manufacturer 9 gigs at 1400mhz
Asus mother board 5920. Nothing special. 3Gig sata speed
Solid state intel drive. 180 Gig
Power supply is generic 550 watt. Came with case.
Help me out folks if you can. Im really curious as to what my next purchase should be and why. Thanks so much in advance.

More about : whats step weak spot

Hey folks,
Ive taken so much great knowledge from these forums i know this is the best place to ask a question.
Im a gaming enthusiast and recently moved to pc platform. I dropped all the xbox nonsense and am ready to really indulge in what games are meant to look like. and how they are played.
Im looking to find out what the weak spot is in my computer for gaming. And also what my best route to take is as far as buying new parts.
My latest purchase was a EVGA Gtx 560 Ti. Im considering SLI in the near future. But... I know that it isnt the time yet. So here is my setup so far. Please help me out with some ideas/ routes to go.
Help me out folks if you can. Im really curious as to what my next purchase should be and why. Thanks so much in advance.
Score

Hey folks,
Score
Related resources

Best solution

June 7, 2012 11:24:13 PM

I second the power supply, you never know how cheap the ones are that come with a prebuilt. And if you are looking at SLI you will want to make sure that you take that into consideration when you buy one. 750W should be plenty

If you dont want to spend the money on new RAM at least adjust what you have so that you have a matching pair. 9GB means that you have some weird combo of 3 or maybe 4 sticks that were definitely not purchased together and therefore probably not compatible when put to the test.

I am sure that you have something other than just a 180GB SSD you probably have a HDD too, if you are running short of space then check out the post above.

If you are thinking about SLI with 560s you will probably need to consider a new mobo. That will benefit you in quite a few ways: you should get sata 6GB speed for your SSD, you will get enough PCI lanes to do SLI effectively, you will probably get some other perks ie. USB 3.0, more usb connections, better OC capabilities.

Last thing you may want to consider, especially if you want to OC, is a aftermarket cooler. Something simple like the Hyper 212 Evo

Just be careful if you are thinking about SLI upgrades, that is a can of worms for you... SLI --> new mobo (+ new case if propriatary) --> new processor = $$$
a c 198 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 11:32:37 PM

I wouldn't see any room for upgrades personally, but for us to know what you need for and upgrade, we need to know what you do with the computer specifically. Like what specific games. If you just play Left 4 Dead and Counter Strike Source, there is no need for an upgrade.
Score
a c 269 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 11:36:29 PM

For gaming, the graphics card is all important.

If you upgrade your graphics, the obvious path is to go sli.
But, your generic 500w psu will need to be replaced.

My take would be to sell the GTX560ti and replace it with a newer 28nm card like the 7850 or GTX670.
They do not take that much power.
You will avoid any microstuttering issues, and they will run on the 550w psu unless it is really crummy.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 11:43:00 PM

What cpu cooler do you have - I've used both Noctua D-14 and H40 - get a cooler & OC to 3.8GHz+. Get a new power supply capable of SLI GTX560Tis - 850W would be good - go for a good manufacturer - Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Siolverstone, XFX....
-Bruce
Score
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 12:11:04 AM

First upgrade, get a good CPU cooler to overclock your CPU, and a good stable PSU between 700-900W, depending on what you want to do. I say go bigger just to have room for future upgrade. You may have problems getting more of an overclock out of your CPU if your PSU is not up to the task. Latter either add a second 560Ti to go SLi or just get a faster card depending on what's out at the time and your budget ^_^
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 3:50:32 AM

Yea, I'd upgrade to a 7850 as geofelt suggested, get the GTX 670 if you have a higher budget.
Score
June 8, 2012 3:11:23 PM

Quote:
New PSU foremost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1TB storage drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What monitor you using?

What chassis too?

Any kind of gaming mouse and keyboard?
Headset?

Thanks for the reply and links. I had a feeling that PSU would be next. Will a solid PSU help with overclocking? Im reaching but does smooth consistant power = more stability?
Also my chassis is a huge grey Asus box. Lots of room though quite ugly. Ive got a great gaming headset dolby 7.1 but am using stock mouse and keyboard.

Edit... Monitor is a HP2710m
Score
June 8, 2012 3:16:05 PM

j2j663 said:
I second the power supply, you never know how cheap the ones are that come with a prebuilt. And if you are looking at SLI you will want to make sure that you take that into consideration when you buy one. 750W should be plenty

If you dont want to spend the money on new RAM at least adjust what you have so that you have a matching pair. 9GB means that you have some weird combo of 3 or maybe 4 sticks that were definitely not purchased together and therefore probably not compatible when put to the test.

I am sure that you have something other than just a 180GB SSD you probably have a HDD too, if you are running short of space then check out the post above.

If you are thinking about SLI with 560s you will probably need to consider a new mobo. That will benefit you in quite a few ways: you should get sata 6GB speed for your SSD, you will get enough PCI lanes to do SLI effectively, you will probably get some other perks ie. USB 3.0, more usb connections, better OC capabilities.

Last thing you may want to consider, especially if you want to OC, is a aftermarket cooler. Something simple like the Hyper 212 Evo

Just be careful if you are thinking about SLI upgrades, that is a can of worms for you... SLI --> new mobo (+ new case if propriatary) --> new processor = $$$

Thanks for reply! My ram im unsure about. It came with the Computer like that from asus. There are 6 sticks. 3x2gig and 3x1 gig.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 3:18:13 PM

Can't believe people are recommending parts without even asking what your budget is.

Score
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 3:34:37 PM

What is your budget mojin7?
Score
June 11, 2012 3:28:18 AM

Quote:
Leave that as it is...
OEM is fine!

Sorry but I will never agree with leaving mismatched ram in a system, especially if you are looking at overclocking at any point in time.

I would leave the 3x2GB sticks and take the other ones out.
Benefits:
-Can run ram with 1T timing rather than 2
-More easily overclockable as the power draw of 3 sticks is much less demanding on the mobo
-No issues with mismatched timings between the 2GB sticks and the 1GB sticks, you can be sure that those sticks were not tested together for compatibility. As I am sure you have found out, the compatibility is not an issue if you are running everything stock but start overclocking and you may quickly find those flaws.

Cons:
- Cut from 9GB to 6GB, which is not an issue for most people as relatively few programs and even fewer games can take advantage of that much ram.

Recon, I think that the rest of your suggestions are great but I can't support sticking with the OEM ram, I see it causing more problems than solutions.
Score
December 26, 2012 1:32:46 PM

Best answer selected by mojin7.
Score
December 26, 2012 1:33:03 PM

Score
December 26, 2012 1:34:10 PM

Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 1:42:04 PM