AmyW

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
So a number of friends and colleagues have purchased their custom desktops from a company called 'Alame Computers' so i decided to have a look on their website because im in need of a gaming desktop and came across this http://www.alame-computers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124 for the price of the desktop i think its amazing and it has everything which i need, i just need to double check is this a good set up and why?

thanks.

G

not a good gaming set up at all.
an i7 cpu and 16 gigs of RAM is more for video editing than gaming. a i5 and 8 gigs of RAM is more appropriate. also the most important component is missing; an add in or discrete video card. using the integrated graphics will result in such unsatisfactory performance while gaming, you will be sad.

DeusAres

Distinguished
I can already tell you you would get a much better system by building your own. The cpu is overkill. The i5 3570k would be a better choice and would save you $100. You could then add this extra cash to the GPU.

Try this...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/do8N

This system will perform much, much better than the system you picked out. Just watch a few tutorials on youtube if you need help building it. It's very simple.

If you want links to tutorials, just ask. I also recommend you research a few cases, pick out the one you like, look for great air flow and cable management. Something like these cases would be ideal...

COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Corsair Carbide Series 500R

As you can see, you'll also save alot of money by building it yourself. Those guys who do prebuilt systems typically charge way more for those systems.

AmyW

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

maybe this is my faut but i work as a producer so video editting is something which i do need the desktop to be capable of handling and in addition to the intergrated graphics, if you look at the specifcation, it has a video card 'XFX ATI HD Radeon 7870 Core Edition 2GB'

DeusAres

Distinguished

In that case, go with my build, but change the CPU to the i7 3770k. You'll still be fine with 8gb of RAM. Most video editing work is done by the processor and GPU. If possible, see if you can still fit the gtx 670 in there. Most video editing programs prefer the nvidia cards' cuda cores.

AmyW

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

i like what youre saying but in terms of building my own desktop, its out of the question, its not something i am willing/going to do and in terms of prices ive done my fair bit of research Alame Computers never fail to come on top when it comes to quotes so im going to listen to your advice and give them a spec list and then see what the price quote is but in the mean time what do you think of this desktop?

http://www.alame-computers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=118

G

i am sorry, i didn't scroill down far enough. to be honest i stopped when i saw
Graphic: Integrated Graphics Processor
and thought, "oh no."

they are asking a lot of money for the parts being used. the ASUS P8Z77-V LX is a "budget board." nothing really worng with it but it does not "premium features" on it, like wifi or a lot of SATAIII or usb3 ports. and 60 gigs for an SSD is rather small, it is recommended that for the sake of not having to micro mange the files to save space on the SSD that it is around the 120 Gig size.

but it will do what you are looking for, however if you can build a computer or know someone that could help you, there can be a lot better of a rig by getting the parts from retail web sites instead of a prebuilt system.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Lol, you already have my opinion. It's ok. Not good, not great...just ok.

The prebuilt honestly sucks compared to building it yourself. You get better parts and pricing by doing it yourself. It truly isn't that difficult. At most, it would take you 3-4 hours to build it. Which is definitely worth the time. The i5 3570k isn't going to be ideal for video editing either. You'll want the 3770k.