New PSU needed?

let it rain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey everyone! I just recently bought a computer and have a quick question about the power supply.... Mainly, do I need to replace the one it came with.

This is the link to my PC: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MPBMU6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_1

It came with a standard 350 Watt power supply. I have read around that the GPU requires 400 Watt (although people have been back and forth as to the validity of this).

The only thing I have done to the computer is order 8 GB of new RAM. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

Thoughts on new PSU? I ask because I feel like I found a good deal today and might buy it in the event I use my PC heavily and upgrade additional components. For now though, I am a very casual user and will use this primarily for internet browsing, video watching, maybe starcraft II (at whatever setting is smoothest).

Thanks all! (I didn't know if this should be question or discussion, so I went discussion in case it turns into something else)

PSU I was looking at (I know 1000 Watts is well above what I need...but I like the price). :pt1cable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2188&cm_sp=Specials-_-17-182-188-_-12122012_3

let it rain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I really need to see what kind of use I end up putting this computer through before I decide to do anything else to it..... I just read the reviews on this PC and see that people have problems with the PSU. Although, I don't put it through a lot of stress right now and it has been fine.

chugot9218

Honorable
I would dump that PSU asap and get a new one, although it is probably adequate wattage (assuming the rated wattage is actually accurate), the quality of the components in there are probably pretty garbage, and considering the PSU touches lots of spendy components, it is best to have a quality one. Would suck to have your generic PSU go out and blow your MOBO, GPU, or CPU along with it.

Rosewill is not known to be a quality brand either, and 1000w is unbelievable overkill for your build, get a 500w corsair, antec, XFX, or seasonic, or if you plan on adding another card in the future, get a 600w.

It doesn't state the make and model of the PSU as far as I can tell, so we have no way of knowing whether it's a quality PSU or not.

If it's a decent PSU then the 350W rating is good enough for your system. If not, a decent PSU of around 400W would be plenty. You don't really save much money by going lower than 400-450W, at least not without sacrificing quality.

Those two Corsair PSUs would be huge overkill.

Newegg has a nice offer on an XFX Core Edition PRO450W:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

chugot9218

Honorable
If they put a crap PSU in there, would they specifically advertise it? Or on the flip, if they put a quality PSU in there, wouldn't they advertise that? That is why I do not trust the description they provide, and I have also heard many horror stories on here about pre-builders, another poster on here had a build from CyberPower and the GPU was floating free inside the case, not plugged into anything.....

I'd say the consensus is to replace it, and if you do not plan on adding components (especially GPU's) in the future, the 450w will be enough (assuming you choose a quality manufacturer).

let it rain

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks guys!

I have done a lot of reading about PSU issues and am pretty concerned (paranoid might be a better word). I was just wondering what people who know what they are talking about actually thought.

That XFX looks like a great deal. And since I have no plans to upgrade any other components at the time (RAM done) this seems like a more practical buy.

I really just want to avoid the hassle of a return.

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes, it can definitely be a hassle with those companies too. I mean, your warranty will cover any issues but why deal with that at all and be out of a PC for x amount of time, just spend the 50-60 bucks and get a decent PSU now.