GTX 560 Ti and power supplies

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Hey everyone,

I want to get a GTX 560 Ti, but I'm kinda nervous about my ol' PSU. The 560 Ti has a TDP of 170W. I have an Antec Earthwatts 430 (EA-430). It's almost 5 years old. The sticker says it has two +12V rails at 17A each. The sticker also says the maximum load on the two 12V rails is 360W. My system is an old Athlon X2 4600+ 65W, one HDD, one DVD drive, and ATi 3870 (TDP @100W). I've hooked my computer up to a Kill-A-Watt meter while running benchmarks and it never seemed to draw more than 150W or so (from what I remember).

I could purchase a new PSU at the same time as the card, but I was hoping to hold off until later this summer when I build my new system. Any of you guys have any experience with the 560 Ti running on older PSUs? I know that nV and AMD tend to exaggerate the PSU specs because they're afraid of people who are using generic crap.

G

look at the BLUE bar
power_peak.gif

@ 159 watts means you need 2 six pin power connections and i think your PSU has but 1.

That's there to fool you, there's no OCP , it's a single rail
I'd be a little concerned about it's age, but you apparently haven't put much of a load on it so it shouldn't be a problem to use it till you upgrade "later this summer"

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to go ahead and see if it functions ok on the Antec. I doubt there will be any problems. If it gets weird on me, then I'll yank it and order a new PSU.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Well I got the card hooked up this afternoon and I'm kind of disappointed with the results. I uninstalled the Catalyst software for my old 3870, rebooted in safe mode, ran Driver Sweeper, etc. Installed the card, booted up, installed 301.42 drivers.

The first thing I ran was the old Unigine Tropics benchmark, framerates were wayyyy higher than the 3870. However, I ran the Far Cry 2 benchmarks "Ranch" and "Action" at max settings and 1080 res. (4xAA), and average FPS were 24 and 15, respectively. I looked up some 560 Ti benchmarks for Far Cry 2 and I came up with this Techspot review where they averaged 74 FPS.

http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page6.html

However, their test setup was running on an i7 920, and I'm running ancient technology (see below).

http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page3.html

I fired up the single player campaign on Far Cry 2 and I noticed the framerates were much higher when I was out in the woods, but when I went into town the framerates plummeted (where there's a lot of AI). I tried Splinter Cell Conviction max settings with 4xAA, and it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's fluid, but I noticed that when there are a lot of lights in viewpoint, the framerates viewpoint.

I'm wondering if my computer is so old that I'm running up against CPU-limits. My system is ancient- AMD Athlon X2 4600+, 4Gb RAM, ancient 320Gb Seagate HD, really old Biostar NF-520 AM2+ mobo, running Windows 7 64-bit. My 4600+ doesn't even qualify as the minimum spec for some newer titles. Even something like the i3-2100 is a whole order of magnitude more powerful than what I'm currently running.

I'm not that disappointed because I'm building a new computer some time later this summer, but I think what is going on is my CPU is strangling my GPU. Far Cry 2 is yesterday's news, it came out several years ago, and any recent mid-range card should run it pretty nice, but then again, most people are running more recent hardware. What do you guys think about this?