Sign in with
Your question

Please help me upgrade my aging rig

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2012 1:27:16 PM

My computer is made up mostly of components that were considered decent...about 5 years ago. :pt1cable:  Recently I've been getting the feeling that my computer isn't performing as well as it should. I'd like to upgrade a few things. I use my computer mostly for web development, graphic design, video editing, music production and occasionally gaming.

However there are a few caveats:

My budget is very limited and therefore if possible I would like to avoid:

Upgrading to 64 bit OS

If at all possible I'd like to stick with 32 bit for another year or so. Reason #1 is because I just upgraded to Windows 8 pro 32 and just don't have the money for a 64 bit upgrade right now, and reason number 2 is because I'd prefer to not have to re-install/upgrade all my programs (I figure if I were to do that I might as well wait for when I get a new computer).

Swap my motherboard

for the same reason I don't yet want to upgrade to 64 bit. changing the mobo is something I'd like to do when I just get a whole new computer.

My current CPU is a 2.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core. I was looking at the AMD FX-4170 as an upgrade but then I realized my M3A79-T DELUXE mobo doesn't support AM3+ CPUs. Though it does support AM3 after bios update.

What CPU should I get? I find my computer chugging mostly with video editing. I thought upgrading this old 2008 era CPU would be cheap but I cant seem to find any significant AM3 upgrade for under $150. Any suggestions? I just want to squeeze another year out of this thing and build a whole new PC when I get a bit more cash.

Specs for my PC:

2.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core cpu
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A79-T DELUXE Mobo
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series "Juniper"
2 2048 MB ocz ddr2 1.8v ram

Can anyone help me squeeze that last bit of life out of this thing? Thanks to anyone who can help. :) 

More about : upgrade aging rig

a c 159 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 4:05:49 PM

You'll need $300-400 for a limited upgrade (cpu/board/ram). I wouldn't spend one dime until you've saved at least that much.
m
l
!