Cannot get new system build to start up or boot

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and I would greatly appreciate any help that you "techies" and "gurus" could offer me. :D

After my last couple PCs getting blow up by thunderstorms, I have recently decided to build a completely new PC. I have been using my Macs for quite some time but I wanted to have the availability of having a Windows PC that I could game with and do some other tasks...

Here is the hardware that I am working with:

1 x APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

1 x Foxconn H61MX LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400

1 x Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK

1 x Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 x PNY VCGGTX550TXPB GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card

1 x ASUS Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

1 x 10-Bay ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/550W 20+4-pin PSU & 250mm Blue LED Fan (Black)

No OS installed yet.

I have assembled all of the hardware into the case and hooked up everything with the best of my ability. I cannot even get the PC to turn-on/boot/startup. I'm not sure if I did not hook up the I/O connectors correctly or if I am looking at other issues. Any ideas of what is going on?

PLEASE help me! And thank you very much in advance!

-Brock

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Nice guide @Manofchalk I have followed most of those instructions yet I still do not know what is going on...

@Smeg45 I have double checked and yes the front panel connectors are connected properly.

@rjackowens I am pretty sure the power supply is working because when I plug in all of my peripherals into their sockets, my mouse w/ blue leds light up. The PSU is brand-new. Although, I see no lights at all on the mobo lighting up and I see nothing starting up at all. No beeps.

--I am wondering if my motherboard is the issue? Could it have been ruined by static electricity? I am concerned that the mobo is not installed properly on the standoffs on the case. Mine do not look like those in the Newegg TV video provided above. Is it possible that there are no standoffs with my case? If I recall properly, there were only holes for screws to attach to the mobo to the case. Could improper installation cause the motherboard not to start? And finally, are there any other tests that I could run to see if the mobo is faulty or not? It came with a 3-year warranty...

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
If the motherboard isn't properly connected to the standoffs, that could be your problem. Make sure all the standoffs are in the right places on the motherboard. Also don't screw the screws too tight.

If you think your motherboard is faulty, see if you have a Micro Center close to you. They have a Knowledge Bar which will check you motherboard and PSU for free!

BTW are you running the latest BIOS. You could try updating and see if that helps

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and I don't think we have Micro Centers near... LOL. And I cannot update my bios because the computer will not turn on or boot. And I will have to refresh my memory on the motherboard installation/standoffs and perhaps try again...

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Too bad no Micro Center :(

I would take the PC apart and try an external build. That is where all you have is the motherboard, RAM, and CPU installed outside the case. It shows you how to do it in the Newegg video.

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I took the motherboard out and plan on testing it and if it does not work then it will be RMA'ed. I also noticed that my case has no standoffs at all. Can you install a mobo in a case without them and the computer boot/work fine?

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

You might be able to, but you definitely shouldn't. You will have a great risk of shorting your motherboard because all it takes is a tiny shock... And then your mobo is worthless. Besides, most cases are metal so it poses a huge risk to shock...

In short, use standoffs when your motherboard is inside your case. that way you know your motherboard is installed properly. anyway, you can buy standoffs for like 3 bucks.

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I'm not sure if standoffs are already installed on my case or not... It appears to me that there are just screw holes. I don't know why they wouldn't be provided with the case. Mine look nothing like those shown in the Newegg TV video. Could someone please provide me with a link to where to get the right standoffs?

Will these work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5516657&CatId=7269

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1798795&CatId=6529

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Ok so the ones in the first link are the ones that screw into your case. after you buy those, you still need the screws to attach it to the motherboard. make sure they are the same size. the ones in the second link would work but i wouldn't recommend them... you are better off with the metal ones.

Those standoffs in the 1rst links are the ones you need. ATX standoffs are mostly universal so don't worry about that..(http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254958-30-motherboards-universal)

bcliles91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Great! I will purchase some of those! And will standard screws fit into those standoffs so I can attach the motherboard?

And @Drillsar I never could get the motherboard or computer to even startup. But I have RMA'ed it. Just waiting to get it back.

Next time I hope to test-bench the components before putting everything back into the case. I sure hope I can get it to work this time!

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Ya standard screws should work but they make screws just for standoffs. Either way it really doesn't matter much.