Need a new PSU for my new Graphics card

Girugamesh

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
3-4 years ago, my parents made the terrible decision of getting a pre-made gaming computer at PC World, now I've decided to get a new Graphics card (You'll know why if you look at my specs) for gaming, the one I've chosen is the "EVGA GeForce GTX 660" which has a minimum wattage requirement of 450w, unfortunatly, I'm unsure as to how much wattage my motherboard can take because my current PSU is a delta electronics 250w...and I don't want my computer to fry.

My computer specs are:
Packard Bell ixtreme M5722
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Ram:6.00GB
64-Bit OS
Windows 7 Home Premium
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT220 1GB DDR2, Direct X 11

My current PSU is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B6391-Delta-Electronics-DPS-250AB-22-D-250W-PSU-/380286860329?

The PSU that I THINK may be compatible is: http://www.maplin.co.uk/450w-xfx-pro-series-atx-psu-with-easyrail-technology-587552

Most of you can probably already tell I'm a complete Noob at hardware
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Girugamesh

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for the response, so is there even the slightest chance that me hooking this up to a motherboard usually taking 250w would make it.....ya'know....explode?

mi1ez

Splendid
Sorry, misunderstood the question.

You could hook up a 1500W power supply and not damage the motherboard. The computer will draw what it needs from the PSU, rather than the PSU just sending its rated wattage through.

Girugamesh

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, I'm not very good at this and I wanted to make sure that my computer could handle the increase in wattage being pumped through, thanks for the recommendation by the way.

jemm

Distinguished
I am not sure if you´ve already got the EVGA GeForce GTX 660 -- anyway it isn´t the best card for your system, as your CPU will likely bottleneck this card.

Girugamesh

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Nah, I haven't bought it yet, but it's the best card I can afford, feel free to recommend one if you think my computer can't handle it.

It is an excellent choice of card. There may be some bottlenecking (though I think very little). And when the time comes for a new CPU, you unlock that last bit of potential from the card. Personally, I'd stick with the choice. Though jemm's point is valid, it's easy to underestimate the capabilities of C2Q - I used to have one and it's a really capable CPU (as I'm sure you've noticed :)).

Girugamesh

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I have been thinking of getting a new processor after checking the recommended on "System Requirement Labs" for high end games, but the current one i'm using is already really good....plus, getting a new processor means having to get a new motherboard...since i5 won't fit the socket.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't say it's not a worthwhile upgrade (there is a decent performance benefit stepping from C2Q to Nehalem) but for the total cost with motherboard, it's a bit steep. On the one hand, you wouldn't pay that much for a comparable upgrade in GPU. But on the other hand, if your platform limits what the GPU can do, you have limited options for advancement.

Why not grab the GTX660, see how you go with it (and maybe consider overclocking) and if you're not getting the performance you want, upgrade CPU/mobo in the future? If you buy a low-end card now, you'll only end up needing to replace it anyway in a year or whenever you upgrade CPU and mobo. If you get a GTX660 now, you'll already be set GPU-wise.