Does the Hunter class really attract idiots and children?

That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.

come to think of it....there were a couple occasions while soloing i
was followed around by high level players who would rob every kill i
tried to make.

both hunters.

also at an 8th level druid i kept getting high levels (like in their
30s and 40s) trying to duel me.

also hunters.

Out of curiosity, what is a Drizzt/Drow lookalike look like in WoW?

A white haired night elf in defias body armor dual wielding swords?

Drizzt doesn't have the rabbit ears my rogue does. :)

(Give me the ears of the Blood (?, or High?) Elves like found in
Ratchet and at Sun Rock Retreat!)

me (as a 60 druid and 30 lock) would say a lock is really easy to play
(so far). send VW in and dor after a while... then just w8, sing or
support ur "pet"... i think hunter is same... send pet in and then
shoot a bit...
but i didnt take lock cause of its easy or so...i just took the classes
i like to try..
so do same... play a hunter if u like... BUT: if i think about a 5man
group to Lower Blackrock Spire i think playing a priest/ warrior / mage
is the best chance to get a group!!! (priest is most i thinK)

Actually in EQ it was the druid who had the problem learning how to
group. There were so many kiddies who soloed druids up in levels then
when they finally hit the level where there were no more outdoor zones
to snare/kite mobs around they found out they were clueless about group
mechanics.

in Wow it seems druids are almost desired at higher levels.....what a
suprise.

thanks for the input people. i'll make my hunter and like it (a huge
tabby following me around)

>First of all, the hunter being a very popular class, you will see many
>more immature kiddies playing hunters because simply there are more
>people playing hunters (same thing happens with paladins).

Exactly. When I rolled up a Night Elf, in the newbie area there were 2
rogues, 4 druids and about 25 Hunters. I couldn't believe it.

On Alliance, the worst kiddies I met were all Paladins.

Horde seems to have far fewer Hunters. At least the newbie area isn't
overrun with them.

echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:
> That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
> beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
> and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
> on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
> pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
> sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
> shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.
>
> come to think of it....there were a couple occasions while soloing i
> was followed around by high level players who would rob every kill i
> tried to make.
>
> both hunters.
>
> also at an 8th level druid i kept getting high levels (like in their
> 30s and 40s) trying to duel me.
>
> also hunters.

First of all, the hunter being a very popular class, you will see many
more immature kiddies playing hunters because simply there are more
people playing hunters (same thing happens with paladins).

The problem with the hunter is that it is the "easiest" class to solo
with, since by simply sending your pet to kill and shooting from far you
can solo quite easily and quickly (at least at lower levels). This
attracts many newbies, who then don't bother learning the class any
better, but simply try to have fun (or what they think is fun) with it.
The situation reverses on instance groups, since there you need to be
precise with your pulls and control of your pet, and if you have never
learned how to do it, you quickly frustrate everyone.

On the contrary, classes like warlocks and druids are considered "hard"
classes to play, since they dont have a specific playing style but need
to adapt it and learn to play their class, and are therefore CONSIDERED
to be played by more mature players. However, that doesn't mean at all
that there are no hunters that can kick serious ass. In fact, a
well-played hunter is a very valuable asset for a 5-man instance, since
it is a dps+tank class in one.

I would say this: If you want to play a hunter, play a hunter. If you
are good enough and mature enough, the first few groups you'll play with
(be it guildies or pickups) will see your value and call you again. You
might have a problem with easily finding pickup groups at first, but you
also have the advantage of quick levelling-up from grinding. Just try to
have fun not to the expense of others, and whatever class you play you
should be fine.

echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:
> That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
> beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
> and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
> on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
> pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
> sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
> shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.
>
> come to think of it....there were a couple occasions while soloing i
> was followed around by high level players who would rob every kill i
> tried to make.
>
> both hunters.
>
> also at an 8th level druid i kept getting high levels (like in their
> 30s and 40s) trying to duel me.
>
> also hunters.

oh, and one other thing. NE /= Drow, so please people, stop creating
Drizzt lookalikes!!!!

echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:
> That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
> beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
> and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
> on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
> pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
> sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
> shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.

Don't know if hunters are primarily idiots and children, but if people you
try to group with refuse purely because of your class, are they really worth
grouping with?

I'd say go for it. Make the char you like, and play with your guild if other
people are so stupid that they would avoid someone because of their class.

Devast8or

On 7 Jul 2005 06:10:05 -0700, echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:

>Actually in EQ it was the druid who had the problem learning how to
>group. There were so many kiddies who soloed druids up in levels then
>when they finally hit the level where there were no more outdoor zones
>to snare/kite mobs around they found out they were clueless about group
>mechanics.
>
>in Wow it seems druids are almost desired at higher levels.....what a
>suprise.
>

>thanks for the input people. i'll make my hunter and like it (a huge
>tabby following me around)

Good for you. I really like the hunter and don't think of myself as a
moron or a Kiddie, Its just handy to have a mini-party at all times.

<echinacea100@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
> beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
> and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
> on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
> pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
> sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
> shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.
>
> come to think of it....there were a couple occasions while soloing i
> was followed around by high level players who would rob every kill i
> tried to make.
>
> both hunters.
>
> also at an 8th level druid i kept getting high levels (like in their
> 30s and 40s) trying to duel me.
>
> also hunters.

In any MMOG as you've likely learned, you make a name for yourself. It
doesn't matter what class you play, people who have been on the server long
term will begin to associate your name with good play or bad play. That's
just the way of things in MMOG's. Play your hunter like an idiot and you
will earn that reputation. Play your hunter with honor and you will earn
that reputation. It's not the toon, it's the loon behind the toon. :)

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

"Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The problem with the hunter is that it is the "easiest" class to
> solo with, since by simply sending your pet to kill and shooting
> from far you can solo quite easily and quickly (at least at
> lower levels).

I have also heard this more than a few times, and with a lvl 60 hunter I
wanted to see for myself. I created a number of alt characters and did the
exact same zones and quests with all of them; play solo only for a few hours
then switch in random order so no character will benefit from another who
just did the quest. I check the "/played" value on every new level, on a
completed zone, on a completed series of quests and so on. Up to level 20
the Paladin is so far the easiest and quickest class to play and level up.
Druid, Mage, Warlock and (new) Hunter all consumed 2-3 hours more playing.
The Priest and the Warrior class are the hardest, 6 more hours to make level
20, dying more and not so fun to solo. (I know the Priest is not a solo
class, I'm just testing.)

> The situation reverses on instance groups, since there you need
> to be precise with your pulls and control of your pet, and if
> you have never learned how to do it, you quickly frustrate
> everyone.

My experience after doing end-game instances is that the major problem is
players who don't know the Hunter class, and players who look for someone to
put the blame on, and the myth about pet control is kept allive.

I have run 100s of tests, on all levels, with runaway mobs on low health
with and without the pet chasing it.The result is always the same,
independant of pet running. If the almost dead mob gets in contact with
other mobs it may draw aggro to me or the group, a pet chasing makes no
difference at all. The ones to really blame in an instance is the players
who did not slow down movement speed on the mob on low health.Warriors and
Warlocks (and Hunters and probably others) can stun or reduce mob speed, but
I guess the Warrior takes enough heat in an instance, and it's nice to have
someone else to point at.
Another test I have done more than a lot of times is jumping down a short
cut while my pet must follow the longer path around. I've done this in
Maraudon, Dire Maul and caves in The Hinterlands and Un'Goro Crater; and my
pet can run _through_ mobs without drawing aggro to me. It looks like if the
distance between pet and Hunter is more than a few yards the animal
represents no aggro at all...
I have not been able to find people who will test this with me in UBRS,
LBRS, Scholomance and Stratholme, but it should work just the same.

Social skills are just as important as class skills in this game tho, and
I'm quick to do a "/P Sorry, didn't stop my pet quick enough, but thanks to
superior tanking and healing we didn't wipe this time", and everyone is
happy. No bitter "control your pet!!!" or "pet on passive!!!" (as if I'd
ever do an instance, or anything else, with pet on aggressive).

My experience in almost every instance is that bad tanking is much more of a
problem than controlling pets; and as a mini-party the Hunter knows a lot
about tanking (and healing).
I also see level 60 Mages and Warlocks using the best ranked skills they
have in a group with a level 57 main tank; and i prepare my Feign Death
skill and know that I will enjoy more than one break while the rest do corps
runs.

As Hunter I'm popular in instances and get invites from friends and
strangers every 20 minutes at least. Inside the dungeon I try to stay close
to the casters, and if a mob comes for our healer I can call my pet on it,
while I'm still dealing damage to the main target, or I can let the pet
continue on the main mob while I switch to melee on the mob coming our way.
With mail armor I can take some damage too before the healer must pay
attention to me.
My skills to track almost any kind of mob is a huge time saver in places
like Dire Maul and BRD, and I can see and warn about patrols coming.

Practice is vital for any class, not just the Hunter of course. When I learn
a new skill or talent I go out on my own for hours to figure out how to best
use it in a variety of situations. I look for series of single mobs coming
fast, or groups of 2-4 mobs at the same time. Later I will ask a Mage friend
and a Warrior friend to join me for practice in a 2 player group.

> On the contrary, classes like warlocks and druids are considered "hard"
> classes to play, since they dont have a specific playing style but need
> to adapt it and learn to play their class, and are therefore CONSIDERED
> to be played by more mature players.

Not in my experience. My level 60 Hunter spent some weeks helping a Warlock
friend level from 40 to 60, and it looked like 90% routine play for my
company. I could almost play the level 20 Druid blindfolded now, but I'm 41
years old and maybe soon in the mature player category....

> However, that doesn't mean at all
> that there are no hunters that can kick serious ass. In
> fact, a well-played hunter is a very valuable asset for a
> 5-man instance, since it is a dps+tank class in one.

And mob tracking!

> You
> might have a problem with easily finding pickup groups at first,
> but you also have the advantage of quick levelling-up from
> grinding. Just try to have fun not to the expense of others,
> and whatever class you play you should be fine.

Yes, social skills is more important than one would think. Don't be affraid
to accept the blame for something someone else did, say you're sorry and
move on, everyone can and will make honest (and stupid) errors.
I have a dear friend on the same server who's also a level 60 Hunter, and
this turned out to be too hard for him, so he had to start a different
class; but missing social skills is still a problem for his new Priest...

I'm going to call my next Hunter "Scapegoat", and I'm sure it will
eventually be popular in high level instances too :)

On 7 Jul 2005 04:38:31 -0700, echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:

No. In my experience, they tend towards creating a Dwarf Paladin.

(Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of decent players out
there playing that class; just that it seems to be some kind of
default choice for a certain kind of player, too. YMMV.)

Cheers - Ian

<echinacea100@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That would be a shame since I would love to re-create my old EQ
> beastlord in Wow. Im pretty new to the game and have a 21 druid so far
> and a 13 rogue and thought about doing hunter now but from what I read
> on my guild forum, allakazham and WoW forums it seems hunters are
> pretty much despised because they are easy to play and attract all
> sorts of stupid, ill mannered children to play them. I might give it a
> shot and if i need a group i'll hook up with my guild.
>
> come to think of it....there were a couple occasions while soloing i
> was followed around by high level players who would rob every kill i
> tried to make.
>
> both hunters.
>
> also at an 8th level druid i kept getting high levels (like in their
> 30s and 40s) trying to duel me.
>
> also hunters.

Two of the biggest, loudmouthed jerks on my server are hunters. But then
again one of my best buds is a hunter and is one of the first people I take
along on any instance run. He can frost trap, has a bear that helps tank,
and does pretty good DPS.

Just don't be a night elf hunter, there are waaaay too many of those.

"Ian Noble" <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 7 Jul 2005 04:38:31 -0700, echinacea100@gmail.com wrote:
>
> No. In my experience, they tend towards creating a Dwarf Paladin.
>
> (Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of decent players out
> there playing that class; just that it seems to be some kind of
> default choice for a certain kind of player, too. YMMV.)

I'm sure it's not that specific although my mileage reads exactly the same.