Email on the 6230 with T-mobile

I'm having real difficulties with the inbuilt email over GPRS. I can get it
to work on the GSM data as a carrier but GPRS gives me a variety of error
messages as I fiddle.
Could anyone post the full settings if they've got it to work.
Ta

JB
13 answers Last reply
More about email 6230 mobile

    "Avon" <jbmobile{nospam}@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having real difficulties with the inbuilt email over GPRS. I can get
    it
    > to work on the GSM data as a carrier but GPRS gives me a variety of error
    > messages as I fiddle.
    > Could anyone post the full settings if they've got it to work.
    > Ta
    >
    > JB

    Can you access the full T-Zones pages using GPRS?

    What error messages are you getting?

    --
    Antz,
    Part of the UKtm family

    "Avon" <jbmobile{nospam}@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having real difficulties with the inbuilt email over GPRS. I can get
    it
    > to work on the GSM data as a carrier but GPRS gives me a variety of error
    > messages as I fiddle.
    > Could anyone post the full settings if they've got it to work.
    > Ta
    >
    > JB

    <Takes a deep breath, and prepares to get shot down in flames>

    I was told, and I don't know if this is true or not. I'm sure someone will
    tell me if I'm wrong...
    But I don't think T-Mobile currently supports POP3/General internet access
    over GPRS. I think you can only do WAP over GPRS (and MMS). Hence GSM works,
    GPRS won't.

    I KNOW this is true for VirginMobile which is a virtual network on top of
    the T-Mobile network, but as I say I was led to believe that it is also true
    of the actual T-Mobile network as well.

    ChrisM.

    --
    Please remove shoes to reply

    But what ... is it good for?
    - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
    commenting on the microchip.

    Are we talking about T-Mobile UK or T-Mobile USA here? (In the U.S., Virgin
    runs on top of Sprint, not T-Mobile.)

    --

    \/ L /\ D

    "Vlad Andreyev" <vlad@atlantech.net> wrote in message
    > Are we talking about T-Mobile UK or T-Mobile USA here? (In the U.S.,
    Virgin
    > runs on top of Sprint, not T-Mobile.)
    >
    > --
    >
    > \/ L /\ D

    Virgin/T-Mobile UK. Sorry, sometimes I forget that this is an international
    group, and not just the UK :-/

    Cheers,

    ChrisM.

    "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > <Takes a deep breath, and prepares to get shot down in flames>
    >
    > I was told, and I don't know if this is true or not. I'm sure someone will
    > tell me if I'm wrong...
    > But I don't think T-Mobile currently supports POP3/General internet access
    > over GPRS. I think you can only do WAP over GPRS (and MMS). Hence GSM
    works,
    > GPRS won't.

    Incorrect - sorry :)

    Full internet access is available via GPRS, which is how I am posting this
    message (T-Mobile UK GPRS, using my phone)

    --
    Antz,
    Part of the UKtm family

    ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <Takes a deep breath, and prepares to get shot down in flames>
    > >
    > > I was told, and I don't know if this is true or not. I'm sure someone
    will
    > > tell me if I'm wrong...
    > > But I don't think T-Mobile currently supports POP3/General internet
    access
    > > over GPRS. I think you can only do WAP over GPRS (and MMS). Hence GSM
    > works,
    > > GPRS won't.
    > >

    > Incorrect - sorry :)
    >
    > Full internet access is available via GPRS, which is how I am posting this
    > message (T-Mobile UK GPRS, using my phone)
    >
    > --
    > Antz,
    > Part of the UKtm family

    OK,

    So VirginMobile mislead me. When I asked about these services on
    VirginMobile, I was given the impression that since their 'Parent' network
    (T-Mobile) didn't support these services, they were unable to at the moment.
    If T-Mobile do, I don't really see what excuse Virgin have for not
    supporting them on their network...?

    ChrisM.

    ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <Takes a deep breath, and prepares to get shot down in flames>
    > >
    > > I was told, and I don't know if this is true or not. I'm sure someone
    will
    > > tell me if I'm wrong...
    > > But I don't think T-Mobile currently supports POP3/General internet
    access
    > > over GPRS. I think you can only do WAP over GPRS (and MMS). Hence GSM
    > works,
    > > GPRS won't.
    > >

    > Incorrect - sorry :)
    >
    > Full internet access is available via GPRS, which is how I am posting this
    > message (T-Mobile UK GPRS, using my phone)
    >
    > --
    > Antz,
    > Part of the UKtm family

    Hmm, I still can't find the GRPS settings for T-Mobile to use 'full GPRS'.
    Only WAP over GPRS.
    Do you have full email functionality on your phone, (ie you can send emails
    using your phones email client, rather than logging in to hotmail.com's (or
    whatever) WAP site.
    If you can, I would really appreciate it if you could post (or email me)
    your settings.

    Specifically GRPS IP address (proxy) and GPRS Access point name.

    (eg For Virgin Mobile, it is
    Proxy:193.30.166.4:8080
    GPRS Access point: goto.virginmobile.uk
    Login Type :Automatic
    username: user
    password:?

    Thanks,

    ChrisM.

    > ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > <Takes a deep breath, and prepares to get shot down in flames>
    > > >
    > > > I was told, and I don't know if this is true or not. I'm sure someone
    > will
    > > > tell me if I'm wrong...
    > > > But I don't think T-Mobile currently supports POP3/General internet
    > access
    > > > over GPRS. I think you can only do WAP over GPRS (and MMS). Hence GSM
    > > works,
    > > > GPRS won't.
    > > >

    > > Incorrect - sorry :)
    > >
    > > Full internet access is available via GPRS, which is how I am posting
    this
    > > message (T-Mobile UK GPRS, using my phone)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Antz,
    > > Part of the UKtm family
    > >

    > Hmm, I still can't find the GRPS settings for T-Mobile to use 'full GPRS'.
    > Only WAP over GPRS.
    > Do you have full email functionality on your phone, (ie you can send
    emails
    > using your phones email client, rather than logging in to hotmail.com's
    (or
    > whatever) WAP site.
    > If you can, I would really appreciate it if you could post (or email me)
    > your settings.

    What is it you are actually trying to access? Once you have the correct
    settings for your phone (which it sounds like you have), you should be able
    to access any site, the only limit will be the type of browser in your phone
    (e.g full HTML, XHTML (your 6230), WML, etc. I use email without problems on
    a 6820, T610, and a 7610.

    --
    Antz,
    Part of the UKtm family

    > What is it you are actually trying to access? Once you have the correct
    > settings for your phone (which it sounds like you have), you should be
    able
    > to access any site, the only limit will be the type of browser in your
    phone
    > (e.g full HTML, XHTML (your 6230), WML, etc. I use email without problems
    on
    > a 6820, T610, and a 7610.
    >
    > --
    > Antz,
    > Part of the UKtm family

    Sorry, I think we are at slightly cross purposes here.
    I understand that the browser on my phone should allow me to access WAP /
    XHTML sites, and it does.
    I can also send and receive email by pointing my phones browser at a site
    like Yahoo or Hotmails WAP site where I can log onto the WAP site and read /
    compose emails, however when I do this I am writing my email on Yahoo's WAP
    site, so I can't (for example) create an email (not send it obviously) when
    I'm off line.

    However, also built into my phone, (nothing to do with any browser) is a
    email client. When this is correctly configured, and assuming the Network
    supports it, I can send and receive email on my phone by going to Messages,
    email (Create email/Retrieve) which will let me read /send email directly
    from my phones email editor, rather than one on a WAP site. This means I can
    create (not send) and read previously downloaded emails without having to
    bring up a connection and log into Yahoo.
    This is what I can't get to work...

    Hope I'm making some kind of sense now.

    Cheers,

    ChrisM.

    > Sorry, I think we are at slightly cross purposes here.
    > I understand that the browser on my phone should allow me to access WAP /
    > XHTML sites, and it does.
    > I can also send and receive email by pointing my phones browser at a site
    > like Yahoo or Hotmails WAP site where I can log onto the WAP site and read
    /
    > compose emails, however when I do this I am writing my email on Yahoo's
    WAP
    > site, so I can't (for example) create an email (not send it obviously)
    when
    > I'm off line.
    >
    > However, also built into my phone, (nothing to do with any browser) is a
    > email client. When this is correctly configured, and assuming the Network
    > supports it, I can send and receive email on my phone by going to
    Messages,
    > email (Create email/Retrieve) which will let me read /send email directly
    > from my phones email editor, rather than one on a WAP site. This means I
    can
    > create (not send) and read previously downloaded emails without having to
    > bring up a connection and log into Yahoo.
    > This is what I can't get to work...
    >
    > Hope I'm making some kind of sense now.

    For this, all you need are the settings for your email provider.

    The sending server will be something along the lines of smtp.provider.com,
    and the incoming server normally takes the form of pop.provider.com or
    imap.provider.com dependent on the protocol used. Bearing in mind that if
    you are using Hotmail, this will not work as it is a web email service.

    If you have all of the correct settings from your provider, why is it not
    working (i.e. what is happening/not happening or what error messages occur)?

    --

    > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > For this, all you need are the settings for your email provider.
    >
    > The sending server will be something along the lines of smtp.provider.com,
    > and the incoming server normally takes the form of pop.provider.com or
    > imap.provider.com dependent on the protocol used. Bearing in mind that if
    > you are using Hotmail, this will not work as it is a web email service.
    >
    > If you have all of the correct settings from your provider, why is it not
    > working (i.e. what is happening/not happening or what error messages
    occur)?

    I'm had this problem too, also with 6230 and T-Mobile UK. In Messages ->
    E-mail, when I clicked Retrieve it said "Allow network access?", I hit Yes,
    it says "Connecting" for about a second, then says "GPRS access point not
    valid", then "Retrieve failed". I had the correct settings for GPRS, as I
    use it frequently. However, for some reason, the application does not use
    the same GPRS settings as is set up in Services. Basically you need to copy
    the GPRS settings from Services into your email program.

    To do this go to Messages -> Message settings -> E-mail messages -> Edit
    active e-mail settings -> Other settings -> POP3 connection settings -> Data
    Bearer, and select GPRS. Go down to "Bearer settings" in same menu and use
    "general.t-mobile.uk" as the GPRS access point. Username is "user" and
    password is "pass".

    It should then work when you hit retrieve so long as your email settings are
    all set up correctly.

    To send an email you should use t-mobile's smtp server "smtp.t-email.co.uk",
    and you'll need to specify the GPRS settings as above but select "SMTP
    connection settings" instead of "POP3 connection settings".

    Let us know if this works. It did for me.

    Adam

    "Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > For this, all you need are the settings for your email provider.
    > >
    > > The sending server will be something along the lines of
    smtp.provider.com,
    > > and the incoming server normally takes the form of pop.provider.com or
    > > imap.provider.com dependent on the protocol used. Bearing in mind that
    if
    > > you are using Hotmail, this will not work as it is a web email service.
    > >
    > > If you have all of the correct settings from your provider, why is it
    not
    > > working (i.e. what is happening/not happening or what error messages
    > occur)?
    >
    > I'm had this problem too, also with 6230 and T-Mobile UK. In Messages ->
    > E-mail, when I clicked Retrieve it said "Allow network access?", I hit
    Yes,
    > it says "Connecting" for about a second, then says "GPRS access point not
    > valid", then "Retrieve failed". I had the correct settings for GPRS, as I
    > use it frequently. However, for some reason, the application does not use
    > the same GPRS settings as is set up in Services. Basically you need to
    copy
    > the GPRS settings from Services into your email program.
    >
    > To do this go to Messages -> Message settings -> E-mail messages -> Edit
    > active e-mail settings -> Other settings -> POP3 connection settings ->
    Data
    > Bearer, and select GPRS. Go down to "Bearer settings" in same menu and use
    > "general.t-mobile.uk" as the GPRS access point. Username is "user" and
    > password is "pass".
    >
    > It should then work when you hit retrieve so long as your email settings
    are
    > all set up correctly.
    >
    > To send an email you should use t-mobile's smtp server
    "smtp.t-email.co.uk",
    > and you'll need to specify the GPRS settings as above but select "SMTP
    > connection settings" instead of "POP3 connection settings".
    >
    > Let us know if this works. It did for me.
    >
    > Adam

    It is a bit silly that you have to put in all the connection settings
    separately, but the email client is a separate "application" and doesn't
    access the settings of the phone.

    --
    Antz,
    Part of the UKtm family

    > > To do this go to Messages -> Message settings -> E-mail messages -> Edit
    > > active e-mail settings -> Other settings -> POP3 connection settings ->
    > Data
    > > Bearer, and select GPRS. Go down to "Bearer settings" in same menu and use
    > > "general.t-mobile.uk" as the GPRS access point. Username is "user" and
    > > password is "pass".
    > >
    > > It should then work when you hit retrieve so long as your email settings
    > are
    > > all set up correctly.
    > >
    > > To send an email you should use t-mobile's smtp server
    > "smtp.t-email.co.uk",
    > > and you'll need to specify the GPRS settings as above but select "SMTP
    > > connection settings" instead of "POP3 connection settings".
    > >
    > > Let us know if this works. It did for me.
    > >
    > > Adam

    I followed Adam's advice above using my demon mail settings for POP3,
    and this works fine (nice one).

    However, I tried to set up the smtp using t-mobile's smtp server
    ("smtp.t-email.co.uk") also as per Adam's instructions and this
    doesn't (grrr).

    Has anyone else got this thing working???

    Dave

Nokia Mobile Email