vector72

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hello, over the last few weeks my PC keeps attempting to turn itself off, most of the time while playing either battlefield 3, or guild wars 2. although it has happened once while conducting a virus scan. as i had downloaded a new graphics driver literally just before i first ran into this problem, and the fact that it only seemed to happen while playing games initially, made me think that it was a software issue with the driver, i tired reverting to my old driver, which seemed to work for a time and then it started happening again, granted much less frequently, but still occuring. when googlling this issue it seems to be majoritivly caused by overheating or old PSU's however the PSU that i am using is only about 6 months old, and while i haven't been able to check the inside of my case yet due to being at uni and therein having a lack of screwdrivers... i will be able to check that soon, although most of the results i find online say that if it is overheating then you will not be able to restart it for a while after it turns off, something i have been able to do, and also given the fact that if i have a chance to cancel the shutdown then it can go on to run fine for another 6 hours without having a problem. so unless my PC is only overheating very slightly, which i should be able to fix with a good clean over christmas, or i have no idea whats going on. any suggestions?

also yeah i know thats a bit TLDNR but sorry, i wanted to describe it in as much detail as possible

vector72

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
when my PC attempts to shut down it come up with the screen saying 'windows needs to wait for these programs to close before it shuts down' (probably paraphrasing there) and two buttons saying 'force shut down' or 'cancel' and if i'm quick enough i can click cancel.
in terms of AV i'm running microsoft security essentials, super anti spyware, and AVG. i have also done a scan on all of them, removing everything they found, which hasn't fixed it so far :(

Hi :)

Ok...firstly, you MUST only run ONE AV program ...so uninstall AVG as MSE is better, I would also take out Super A/S... THEN SEE IF IT STILL DOES IT... I would also run a full scan with MALWAREBYTES (its free)

All the best Brett :)

vector72

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
coolio, will give it a go, been meaning to get rid of AVG soon anyway as it just seems to be a giant bloated whale of an anti-virus program. may be a while before i can tell you if its helped as it only tends do it once or twice a day, hence why up until now i haven't been all that motivated to fixing it as, for the majority of the time its fine so hopefully its a minor issue, wither way will let you know once i've tried that.

vector72

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
ok, have done that and it still turned itself off, however i checked the bios after restarting it, rather than when i first turned the computer on (so after it's been on for 4-5 hours) and the CPU temp was 58 degree's so i think i've found the problem xD will look into giving it a clean and checking the fans are still working/getting new ones. will come back here if i still have problems after that :)