1500 dollar multipurpose build

Approximate Purchase Date: a week or two

Budget Range: 1300-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, multitasking, internet, CAD

Are you buying a monitor: no


Parts to Upgrade: none

Do you need to buy OS: Yes


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none, so long as cheap and reliable

Location: australia, melbourne

Parts Preferences: whatevers best for price

Overclocking: maybe. i dont know whather i should,advice?

SLI or Crossfire: no
resoloution is 1080 by 1920

Additional Comments: what ive currently got picked
my main question currently is whether there is a serious benefit with a i7.

Why Are You Upgrading: need a new computer, newest one is 10 years old


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($135.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($105.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Hard Drive: Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($409.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1396.00
11 answers Last reply
More about 1500 dollar multipurpose build
  1. I'd suggest something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1459.88
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-30 12:55 EDT-0400)
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    I'd suggest something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1459.88
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-30 12:55 EDT-0400)


    Me thinks you have that bookmarked somewhere
  3. Shockattackr said:
    Me thinks you have that bookmarked somewhere


    Actually I don't. :lol:
  4. I am shocked, because every build over 800 I see pretty much the same setup just slighty tweaked
  5. That's Gaming PCs for you. It'd be boring having the same PC on every computer. :P
  6. Shockattackr said:
    I am shocked, because every build over 800 I see pretty much the same setup just slighty tweaked


    If it ain't broke don't fix it, that's what I say! :lol:
  7. Looks good. So im not gonna see any benefit from an i7, am i. From what i read the only worthwhile thing is hyperthreading, and almost notging uses it. So, over clocking is really worth it? I mean, i wont bother if i dont see a worthwhile performance increase from it
  8. PANZER4 said:
    Looks good. So im not gonna see any benefit from an i7, am i. From what i read the only worthwhile thing is hyperthreading, and almost notging uses it. So, over clocking is really worth it? I mean, i wont bother if i dont see a worthwhile performance increase from it


    You'll definitely see a significant performance boost if you overclock from the stock 3.4 to 4.5 - 4.7.
  9. Sounds good. I do think ill try it out on my old pc first, but otherwise...
    Is cooler worth the price premium compared to other coolers like the hyper 212 EVO?
    And, if do end up doing it( which I think i will), how long will the proccesor last if i do. I'd like it to last about 4 years
  10. Also, if they both cost the sme, what should i go for. GTX 670 or Radeon 7970
  11. PANZER4 said:
    Also, if they both cost the sme, what should i go for. GTX 670 or Radeon 7970


    If you go for the 7970 make sure it's the GHz edition: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-benchmark,3232.html
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product